Reforge Fever

90 Night Elf Druid
I suspect that eventually they'll do something like "Limit of X Reforged Pieces at a time can be equipped"

Some specs break "normal" performance levels completely through mass reforging.
Edited by Slashlove on 11/6/2010 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Some specs break "normal" performance levels completely through mass reforging.

Only at level 80. And that's just because mastery doesn't exist on gear at 80.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a really good thing that reforging is so easy to do and undo, because yes, it's almost guaranteed to be a new means of min-maxing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
As far as min/max goes in cata. Every tank is going to choose their top 2 stats.
Lets look at warriors. Options are:
Dodge, Parry, Mastery, Exp, Hit.

Assume dodge/mastery is the best combo. You will look for peices that have it natively. If it doesn't exist in a slot, you take something like dodge/parry and reforge part of the parry to mastery.

reforging will be used to grab your hit/exp quota and then it will be back to choosing the best peice for the set you are trying to make.

Plate tanks will probably do a fair amount of reforging to try to reach the parry/dodge equilibrium. It won't necessarily amount to a high number of pieces reforged or a huge increase in survivability, but I think we'll have to spend a fair bit of gold as we change pieces out to really get the most out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Well, I'm not meaning only Mastery. Different specs perform funkily at different levels of different stats, so you get odd interactions by stacking one stat at the expense of your weakest stat to the level that you want it.
Edited by Slashlove on 11/6/2010 2:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

Well, I'm not meaning only Mastery. Different specs perform funkily at different levels of different stats, so you get odd interactions by stacking one stat at the expense of your weakest stat to the level that you want it.

You can do this to a pretty significant extent by just getting ideal drops anyway though. Reforging a piece that's lacking your strong stat is pretty much always inferior to just finding a piece of gear with your strong stat already on it. Well, unless you are a bear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

You can do this to a pretty significant extent by just getting ideal drops anyway though. Reforging a piece that's lacking your strong stat is pretty much always inferior to just finding a piece of gear with your strong stat already on it. Well, unless you are a bear.

Still holds true for bears. Except its more of the inverse. AKA find peices without haste.
Pieces with hit and expertise natively will have a very high worth as we won't need to reforge as much to cap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Ideal drops won't really exist though, unless all your possible drops in a given tier have the exact same two secondary stats, especially in slots like Trinkets where there's so much of one stat concentrated in one slot.
For classes that have Plateaus where, say, Reforging allows them to get to the next Plauteau (Locks with Haste and Immolate ticks for example) or even just a stat they're not supposed to be using in the case of Bears say, reforging Haste into Dodge/Mastery because they can, you run into weird cases that you have to take into account.
Edited by Slashlove on 11/6/2010 2:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
It's a really good thing that reforging is so easy to do and undo, because yes, it's almost guaranteed to be a new means of min-maxing.
I wonder if there are any plans to tweak the value of how much you wish to reforge by.

Say place the cap at where it currently is, a maximum threshold amount by which you can reforge any single piece, but allow for smaller percentages of the base stat to be reforged to equal amounts of the new stat thereby allowing for ultimate min-maxing.

I can see why a lot of people would hate the idea and why Blizzard wouldn't do it but it'd make for a lot more variation and I'm sure would please others who are as obsessive-compulsive as I am about having exactly the right amount when possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]