Shadow Priest 5.4

90 Undead Priest
Havent looked at much or any of the changes in 5.4 as i quit for 2 months and just came back, but do you guys think shadow priests will be good?

and what comps will they be strong in?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
you will take 15% more damage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Shadow will be good. We aren't gonna be taking much more damage than on live because of the base resil increase and trinket bonus.

I don't see much of a difference than on live.
Edited by Ricoswaze on 9/1/2013 9:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Still no mobility, still no instant casts outside of procs, still extremely limited defensive options, still trainable to the ground.

Still good with a mage though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Still no mobility, still no instant casts outside of procs, still extremely limited defensive options, still trainable to the ground.

See, this I just plain don't understand. I have 8 90's at the moment and have been playing a ton of PTR on every caster trying to pick my main.

Shadow priest has some big issues that make playing it frustrating, I'll absolutely give the spriest community that. However, this notion that we have "extremely limited defensive options" just wreaks of "I've only ever played spriest, and on paper other casters seem to be in a better position."

Nobody outside the mage feels as self sufficient defensively (in terms of the casters) as the spriest, even on PTR (read especially on ptr). Throw a healer into the mix and the warlock can get incredibly tanky, sure - but I just don't see this as the area we have solid ground to complain.

Fade should break snares/roots baseline (and keep Phantasm as a talent that gives you a 5 second immunity window). Dispel protection needs to get stronger, not weaker (it really feels like they made that change to prevent one idiot healer from screwing up a big cluster in an random BG, not because it was even remotely overpowered in arena or RBGs). That's really all the spriest needs to feel very competitive. Considering how good representation across the board (2's through rbgs 2200+) I'd say the spec is in a decent place anyway.

The biggest issue with the spec in pvp is just how damn kickable it is... sure, when I'm running around on my ele I get kicked a ton too - but I've got three offensive schools to use if I'm rolling with elemental blast, and fishing for procs is even more effective anyway.

I'd kind of like to see a PTR build where after mind blast your next shadow cast is immune to interrupt (not silence). Then at least as you fish for MB procs you could get off a quick VT or hell, even a mindflay. May be overpowered though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Should be decent with a rogue, as well, but probably not as good as with a mage of course.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Shadow will be good. We aren't gonna be taking much more damage than on live because of the base resil increase and trinket bonus.

I don't see much of a difference than on live.

Everyone is getting a resil Increase. Not just shadow. A nerf is still a nerf. We'll take 15% more damage.

This guy knows what hes saying. We'll still be good with a mage, but mages are going to be one of our only t1 comps. Excluding anything Talbadar plays because him and his multi r1 buddies with 4+years of experience together with....Doesnt count :)

Should be decent with a rogue, as well, but probably not as good as with a mage of course.

RPD may make a comeback. Who knows. But like you said. Of course, better with a mage. And much much less frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

See, this I just plain don't understand. I have 8 90's at the moment and have been playing a ton of PTR on every caster trying to pick my main.

Shadow priest has some big issues that make playing it frustrating, I'll absolutely give the spriest community that. However, this notion that we have "extremely limited defensive options" just wreaks of "I've only ever played spriest, and on paper other casters seem to be in a better position."

Nobody outside the mage feels as self sufficient defensively (in terms of the casters) as the spriest, even on PTR (read especially on ptr). Throw a healer into the mix and the warlock can get incredibly tanky, sure - but I just don't see this as the area we have solid ground to complain.

Fade should break snares/roots baseline (and keep Phantasm as a talent that gives you a 5 second immunity window). Dispel protection needs to get stronger, not weaker (it really feels like they made that change to prevent one idiot healer from screwing up a big cluster in an random BG, not because it was even remotely overpowered in arena or RBGs). That's really all the spriest needs to feel very competitive. Considering how good representation across the board (2's through rbgs 2200+) I'd say the spec is in a decent place anyway.

The biggest issue with the spec in pvp is just how damn kickable it is... sure, when I'm running around on my ele I get kicked a ton too - but I've got three offensive schools to use if I'm rolling with elemental blast, and fishing for procs is even more effective anyway.

I'd kind of like to see a PTR build where after mind blast your next shadow cast is immune to interrupt (not silence). Then at least as you fish for MB procs you could get off a quick VT or hell, even a mindflay. May be overpowered though.

Uhm. I disagree. We dont need cast immunity, or procs. I dont to be a mage running around proc'ing. Thats why this game is in the state its in now. Too many insta procs. Too many interrupts.

What priest need is to not take more damage, since training us can make us so so so useless...And more tools at our disposal. Psychic Horror...Was amazing in Cata. This new shadow orb mechanic is the most worthless and stupid thing ever. In Cata, shadow was never really orb starved because we got orbs from getting trained by melee.

Unless I need to go 100% peel mode, I wont use 3 orbs on a Psy horror..Someone would have to be dying, or a rogue is dancing in order for me to even think about using 2 orbs. What they need to do, if not lift the orb requirement...Is make 1 orb = a 3 sec effect, 2=4, 3 orbs=5 sec effect.

Shadow was fine all of Cata w/o needing instant procs. Because Psy horror was so good, and Dark AA was amazing w/ Mind spike burst (Not needing to sit there and cast with Dplague to make full use of Insanity because AA lasted for 15-20seconds.)

Fade should be baseline. I agree.

Dispel Protection should not be nerfed, and should not be buffed. Its fine the way it is. We arent locks, we dont rely 100% on our dots, so we dont need to have dispel protection thats near the same level as UA. Dispelling UA is taboo. But they deserve it because of their dots being 100% of their damage.

And you're right. I dont have 8 90s. I havent personally played an Ele or a mage, so All I have is what I see and play against..I have a pally, lock and this priest. But my arena experience is probably higher than yours. Not to sound like an azz. But because I dont ha
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
@Lovestoned - Oh I absolutely agree, you are both a more experienced and almost certainly a better shadow priest than I am. I don't mean to come across as "I am an expert on all things arena because I've played several characters!" kind of guy. More I just feel that one specific complain that keeps cropping up for shadow priests (low defenses) isn't really an appropriate complaint. The spec is by no means perfect, but it does feel plenty tanky in my opinion compared to the others.

One QoL change I think would really benefit the spec is making PH only ever consume one orb. Just get rid of the two/three orb scaling for it entirely - I think the cost is fine then. I don't know anyone who casts it above one orb unless absolutely necessary.

Overall though I just think a lot of shadow priests seem to want the spec to be so unbelievably durable that it doesn't make sense to train a shadow priest, when I think the spec would benefit more from tools that let them operate while being trained. I agree that the game has way too many instant cast procs - but I think a single cast interrupt immunity would fit shadow very well. Maybe mind blast would be too frequent and it would feel better as "after consuming shadow orbs."

Right now there are way too many interrupts and instants in the game, I definitely agree with that opinion. However, that's not going to change until 6.0 (if it changes at all) - the only real alternative is to make shadow a little more competitive in the current environment. Blizzard seems to be going with that line of thinking as well (increased proc rate on FDCL). I just wish they did it a little more creatively.
Edited by Rottingham on 9/2/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
lol you spriests will never be happy until you're OP again

you just can't settle being above average, can you?

sad
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Everyone is getting a resil Increase. Not just shadow. A nerf is still a nerf. We'll take 15% more damage.
I'm just talking in the grand scheme of things. Since everyone's damage is gonna be much lower, we won't be getting insta gibbed. I don't see the 15% damage reduction as a huge nerf now that everyone's damage is a lot lower.

I really don't see much of a difference than on live since we already are comp limited and with the feral nerf, FPS probably won't be top tier. So we're left with a couple of healer/melee/caster comps and god comp/ ele/rdruid/spriest. Of course this could all be wrong and we won't know what the top trends are till live comes out.
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Death Knight

sad

Says the warrior who can sit on priests all day...
Edited by Ejection on 9/2/2013 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
the game pace is changing to be much slower, which doesn't favor nuking or training

yes, that's a buff for spriests
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
the game pace is changing to be much slower, which doesn't favor nuking or training

yes, that's a buff for spriests

Doesnt favor training. Why doesnt it favor training? Everyone gets trained. But the thing about shadow is, we become damn near useless when getting trained. But lets assume you're right. Its a buff to shadow for not getting trained.

Nerf to nuking. Thats cool. But Spriest are a burst spec. So that hurts us now right?
^
Assuming you're right again. Affliction locks will easily reign supreme because they arent a burst class. They will simply out pressure us. Which goes back to my previous post if you've seen them. Shadow being outclassed by locks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
09/02/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Lovestoned
Everyone gets trained. But the thing about shadow is, we become damn near useless when getting trained.
I think this is the main problem. Its pretty hard to get damage out while trained without the right partners. The 15% damage reduction nerf doesn't really change anything since we are already a train target for a lot of comps.
Edited by Ricoswaze on 9/2/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
5.2 was slow paced gameplay, which spriests DOMINATED the ladder

5.4 will be slow paced, spriests will probably dominate again

and what does it matter if you're 2nd to locks?

It really doesn't matter, considering your class is still amazing

That's the reason why you aren't getting much respect when you cry constantly about spriests, Lovestoned.

You expect to be OP and the best caster in the game and you won't settle for less than that.

just cause you aren't the best class in the game, that doesn't make your class bad
Edited by Rogvor on 9/2/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

sad

Bro its pretty OP in some regards already, on PTR its a damage god. Inb4 lovestoned telling us how shadow doesn't do damage blah blah

5.2 was slow paced gameplay, which spriests DOMINATED the ladder

wut
Edited by Anurakis on 9/2/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
spriest and lock aren't even the same class

it's pretty ignorant of him to cry about how locks are so much better when it will depend mostly on the comp

@anurakis
5.2 was when caster teams were dominating the ladder, and when people were stacking resil
Edited by Rogvor on 9/2/2013 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Never said shadow doesnt do damage.

Just shadow CANT get a CHANCE to do damage. lol
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
then you've solved your own problem

play with a melee
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]