Mistweaver monks not using available AOE

90 Pandaren Monk
So, I've been using my mistweaver monk for pvp mostly and recently started trying to gear more towards PVE to do some raid healing. Throughout a majority of the LFR's I've been in with other monks as healers.. I have never seen any of them use chi torpedo as part of their healing. I have never seen a mistweaver top the healing charts like I do every time I go into LFR. I know renewing mist and uplift is our main AOE heal, but to be honest I utilize chi torpedo a lot more and it heals for 70-80k for every member of the raid it hits. That's a huge heal right there that doesn't cost any mana or chi. And combined with celerity, you can use it 3 times with a shorter cooldown, and I never see other mistweavers use it. I would like to know why. It heals for more than uplift when the raid is pretty close together and with celerity it should be prefered. Opinions please..
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
because no one gives a damn about LFR?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
In LFR it's mostly overkill unless you get a particularly "interesting" group in which case the extra healing still may not be enough to save them. Let's face it you could halve the healers and if the group is even halfway awake still not face any significant healing challenges.

I prefer Xuen for that content for two reasons. One is that the extra dps will bring the boss down faster and the eminence healing still brings something. Two is that He's A Cute Widdle Tiger And Is So Fluffy!!! ;)

Edit: But yeah in an actual raid or if it's clear the group needs some extra help I'll swap talents around accordingly depending on the fight. That's the great thing about the current talent system.
Edited by Kipery on 8/27/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
LFR healing is almost always:

1-2 people doing the lion's share
1-3 people dpsing even though they queued to heal
1-2 people doing not much because they dont know how to play/are afk

If you are the person always #1, then congrats, you are the person who will always be carrying your LFR group. 1-2 very competent healers is more than sufficient for most LFR encounters.

often people will notice, and thank you. bask in this glory.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
1-2 people doing the lion's share
1-3 people dpsing even though they queued to heal

And if you're a mist weaver or disc priest you can do both! :)

Really though I haven't queued for a random LFR in a long while. I normally just head out with a premade from my server. We typically make a few people switch to dps because otherwise we'd all be really bored.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
You really can't judge a class from LFR.

I think I saw a thread in the PTR forums complaining about the combustion nerf and saying "I've never seen a fire mage in the top DPS in LFR, there was no need for this nerf!".
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Chi Torpedo can be pretty good, but like people have said you shouldn't really take anything away from what happens in LFR. If that's the top tier of content you are doing then I get trying to get the most out of it the way you are.

Personally I just work on my MW dps if I ever do LFR anymore. Usually end up top heals and close to the top dps.

But the point is eminence healing is more than enough, and probably the most optimal way, to heal LFR as a monk. However like I said, if that's all your doing I get trying to do more.

And Chi Torpedo IS good.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I've only been doing LFR so far as our guild is on a very slow server atm and I am just starting to gear up.

I started to mistweave as I thought it was expected of me but quickly found out that most healers just range cast all old school (I've noticed since coming back to Wow that players here still are mostly devoid of the concept of adapting to new play styles even if offered to them in a new class. Not really a knock but just my observation. Wow players who haven't played many other mmos live in a bubble). It was leaving a gap sometimes in the area of melee ranged, mobile healing ... so I just started to fistweave the vast majority of the time. Even though I only sit in the 470+ ilvl range I still often am easily top 3 in healing even at the 5th raid level.

I very much look forward to pushing how far fistweaving can go especially with the right raid composition but am aware of it's weaknesses. The players out healing me (either close or vastly better) typically have VASTLY superior gear than me. I'll adapt when I have to.

My point though is that due to this play style I found that Rushing Jade Wind actually is incredibly effective. I tried chi torpedo but it took me too far and too often out of range of melee which I have to keep at a 100% up time for fistweaving. It's 8 second duration and relatively low cooldown means a great deal if vastly improved spinning crane kick. Timing chi building and then blackout kicks during that 8 seconds provides not only rather decent damage but extremely impressive aoe healing. It is a very solid choice for fistweaving yet I see it a very rare choice for monks.

What shocked me about it was how much damage it does but damage = healing so more the better. Even with a slow cool down it often enters the top 5 of my ability damage (and therefore great healing too not even including the massive SCK boost. It's range is almost an issue though. You have to be very careful which direction you fire it off at.

I know past LFR fistweaving options are more limited but if the healers are strong already in the areas fistweaving is weakest I think it's strengths make it a good fit more than people normally thing.

One last thing ... Everyone sees the massive differences between good and bad players with each class. Nothing even comes close to monk I have noticed. You see mostly amazingly craptastic monk players yet amongst the trash you see the very few gods of the class. I see why with my current level of experience with WW (just leveling) and now MW. Most MW monks are 100% mistweavers and I'm not even sure many of them even know fistweave rotations. Monk range healing is rather easy but effective.

With Fistweaving screwing up your rotation even once means huge drop in DPS and healing and your mana goes bye-bye. There is no in-between (look up the mechanics closely and see what I mean). The word "weave" is there for a reason. You have to weave in your powers to proc your passives which is 90% of it's effectiveness (by this I mean if you mess up muscle memory your blackout kick will hit for 50k damage instead of 150k, your healing will be horrible and likely your out of sequence jab ate up a huge chunk of your mana). Although you use mostly the same powers as the basics to a WW it plays out entirely differently. For some reason this intrigues me but I bet it puts others off greatly.
Edited by Unlightened on 8/27/2013 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Out of current lfr content there are only 2-3 fights I don't just 100% fistweave because at this point the damage is so trivial that I can often lead the lol hps (and be top 10 on dps) meters that way. Obviously if there are a couple disc priests actually trying at all then there's no reason to put any effort in as you will be close to 100% bubble sniped. etc. etc. etc.

Looking at lfr and thinking you see something of note is a good way to make yourself look like an idiot...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I like Xuen.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Opinions please..

I like paragraphs
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In lfr it's different: there's not enough damage to do proper healing, the only way you look good on meters is if there's an insane amount of damage, you're the only healer, tanks do somthing interesting (Like this: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/025nazcpzi27ryzx/sum/healingDone/?s=10253&e=10611) Or if you get a silly lfr and there's just everything flying every which way

But yeah, wait till you get into a normal before you draw conclusions. Generally chi torp is great on 25man. 10man, not so much except for a few fights such as megeara and iron qon :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I get that it's LFR, and even doing msv and toes 10 man, with chi torpedo as my main aoe heal, I'm still reaching 60-70k HPS. Even above the priest and Druid we were with. Their item levels were slightly above mine.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh, and wouldn't it be great if Thunder Focus Tea buffed chi torpedo by 100%? I think they should do in an upcoming patch. Combined with celerity and trinket procs, it would be an unbeatable raid heal, even better than the healing you can get with revival. Although nothing beats the mass dispel revival gives.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh and on horridon my main heal= eminence from channeling lightning the whole time after the first door.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Honestly it never even occurred to me to Chi Torpedo through the raid (I only do LFR, no "real" raiding) until I got my healing *ss handed to me by another mistweaver and saw it was their #1 heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That was probably me then. I've never, I mean never, seen another mistweaver chi torpedo through the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Maybe they don't have Chi Torpedo lol? I don't hate the ability but I also don't like that it's tied to my main mobility tool. I use Xuen because...well, he looks cool. I'll be switching to RJW on Sept 10th.

As far as LFR goes, the healers that top are typically active. Even when damage is light, they're keeping HoTs up, dps'ing, whatever. The healers that underperform tend to stand around doing nothing in the same scenario. That's what I've noticed from some MWs which seems bonkers because when damage does spike, they're caught with little to no chi and they're likely low on tea stacks. It's what I like about MWs is that we aren't suppose to be standing around twiddling our thumbs. We've got to work!

But yeah, LFR is...LFR. Some people just check out when they go there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh and on horridon my main heal= eminence from channeling lightning the whole time after the first door.

Oh please don't do this. If you are going to Eminence heal, stick to fistweaving. CJL is just too inefficient for most healing situations. Be ready to switch to actual cast healing when your healers are starting to struggle. ReM and Uplift is such a powerful combination.
Reply Quote
I've seen MWs do squat healing in LFR Tortos. When I wonder why that is, I click their healing breakdown in Skada and Uplift and ReM are nowhere to be found and only Revival makes up about 70% of their healing.

LFR is an awful place to measure performance. Many LFR healers don't give a damn about actual healing, and it is usually more rare for a healer to be kicked for low performance than a DPS. A good healer can usually carry the weight of 2 or 3 healers because frankly there is nothing to heal there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]