Paladin Healing now and 5.4

90 Human Paladin
Hey all, I'm just starting PVE with some friends (we're only doing 10 man) and I've started gearing up, I have a few questions
Are paladins raid healers now? last I healed in ICC they were pretty much tank/ot healers exlusively
What role would I mostly be doing in 10 man ToT etc? (disc is our 2nd healer with a resto sham as our 3rd if we need)
And I'm really not sure if I should be going for haste or mastery!

Any help for a PVE noob would be greatly appreciated
Reply Quote
There are no tank healers these days, unless you count tanks themselves. Especially in 10s, all healers are raid healers.

As for gear, you want spirit above anything else. Then mastery.
Edited by Tarski on 8/27/2013 10:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks for that,

So will EF blanketing be dead in 5.4?
Reply Quote
It will still be around.

- EF is going to do more raw healing. Not enough to make up for it, but not terrible.
- It synergises really well with the legendary cloak
- SH has a clunky rotation, and isn't stunning on the healing meters.
- SS doesn't scale particularly well (Crit and Mastery being useless), and requires a certain type damage spread to be economical (ideally 2 tanks and some raid damage).

I suspect EF will still be the default talent, but you might swap around more for specific fights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
There are no tank healers these days

Ehhhhhhh, in ToT you needed a tank healer to deal with tanks vengeance whoring.

So will EF blanketing be dead in 5.4?

And no, EF blanketing had it's healing shifted around to the hot, instead of the absorb.

This means it scales extremely well int and haste. Basically paladin gearing and healing hasn't changed.
Edited by Suplift on 8/28/2013 3:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 03:31 AMPosted by Suplift

Yes and no. It plain doesn't mean much on some fights, and some tanks's survivability scales really well with vengeance. Plus in 10s you can't really have someone just sit on the tank anyway, since there's still raid damage going out.

I'm not saying you never need to direct heal the tank. Tanks still need more healing than the average raid member, and they need a different kind of healing. It's just that there isn't really a niche for it like there used to be.
Edited by Tarski on 8/28/2013 4:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Plus in 10s you can't really have someone just sit on the tank anyway, since there's still raid damage going out.

Yes you can lol,

You only realistically need 1 good raid healer to sit on the raid in 10 mans.

Mistweavers and resto druids are able to solo keep the raid alive while a holy paladin keeps the tanks alive while they vengeance whoring.

If you have one healer spam healing the tank while they do stupid things to achieve 300k+ dps it's worth it.

This is changing in SoO, you need 2-3 raid healers to deal with the high raid/tank damage. Tanks have to not play like retards because you can't afford to heal through the extra damage.

Plus Tanks are going to play like tanks now (thank god)
Edited by Suplift on 8/28/2013 5:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 05:37 AMPosted by Suplift
If you have one healer spam healing the tank while they do stupid things to achieve 300k+ dps it's worth it.

Yeah, and that "healer" is generally the tank.

To take an extreme example, look at a prot pally tanking an Animus zerg. Most of the healing receive is from themselves. Same goes for Durumu, Qon, etc. It's less true with Brewmasters, but even then they'll still almost always be the #1 healer of themselves (often by a clear margin of 10-20% over the next healer).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Not in 10m in a typical raid. Even when the tanks were soloing bosses like H Horridon and H Prim. I healed tanks the same way I healed every other player in the raid. The only difference being the utility on the tank (BoP, Sac, Purity, even Salv a time or two on our BrM) and Beacon, and IMO, I wouldn't call that tank healing.

Mistweavers and resto druids are able to solo keep the raid alive while a holy paladin keeps the tanks alive while they vengeance whoring.

Again, the average raider isn't going to encounter that. So yes, if your tank is trying rank, then you might want focus him. But those are extenuating circumstances that the typical player isn't going to encounter.
Edited by Ceresc on 8/29/2013 5:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/29/2013 05:27 AMPosted by Ceresc

Not in 10m in a typical raid. Even when the tanks were soloing bosses like H Horridon and H Prim. I healed tanks the same way I healed every other player in the raid. The only difference being the utility on the tank (BoP, Sac, Purity, even Salv a time or two on our BrM) and Beacon, and IMO, I wouldn't call that tank healing.

Again, the average raider isn't going to encounter that. So yes, if your tank is trying rank, then you might want focus him. But those are extenuating circumstances that the typical player isn't going to encounter.

Wait, groups have solo tank H Primo? How?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
There is no tank healer, as in a guy that just spams away on the tank, unless he is vengeance whoring as said above. But we still have one healer who's top priority is the the tanks. If the raid is low then their job is the tanks while the rest pickup the raid. They just know that if anything unlucky happens to the tank they need to break off and immediately heal them up. Works for us but we aren't all that progressed so whatever...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
[quote]

Wait, groups have solo tank H Primo? How?

That was poor wording on my part. I rather meant no tank swapping on Prim himself.

Edit: Was also a BrM of course.
Edited by Ceresc on 8/30/2013 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]