Best raid AoE healing class, good with mana

90 Human Paladin
Hello. I'm really tired of my holy paladin and I want to start a new healer. I would like to know what is tne best aoe healer for raiding in pve; a healer that concentrates on healing the whole raid or a big chunk of it for nice big numbers. I'm mostly concerned about mana management, so which one does better in that aspect?

I was considering either priest or druid, but I'd really love hearing everyone's opinions about different classes.

P.S.: I do not like paladin or monk.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10 man or 25man?

10 man = Druid for AoE healing

25 man = shaman if stacked i guess? really dont about 25 man lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would have to start at LFR and stay there for a good while due to my work hours. For normal raiding most probably 10M or with flex around 15M.

Why do you say that druid is better for 10M aoe? Some insight would be really helpful.

Edit: I'm also very worried about HoTs play style, since I'm not very good at tracking multiple things at the same time.
Edited by Ðyegov on 8/27/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
well in 10 man pretty much a druid can just cast WildGrowth that hit 6 people and 7 if glpyh and another 2 when you hit incarnation and just got rej the other 1-2 person

pretty easy being a druid just LB the tank (dont let it drop) and cast WG and swiftmend when their up
Edited by Nillie on 8/27/2013 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Holy Priest. We're at our best when we're healing a 25m.

In 10's, nothing can touch Discipline. 300k+ of shields on the entire raid before and big damage is absolute insanity.

Additionally, all the healers have their ups and downs in terms of raid healing. Shaman shine through when the raid is fully stacked; Holy Paladins are best when the raid is able to cluster, but not stack; Monks are good when the raid is completely spread about; Holy Priests are best when damage is spikey in 25's; Disc is best when there's predictable damage incoming; Druids are best in movement intensive fights.

All that said, every healer is viable and competitive. Pick your favorite. I highly suggest trying them all!
Edited by Gijora on 8/27/2013 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
About disc priest, do I have to keep shields on every person all the time, one by one? That's one of the things that is putting me off from disc the most.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Priest mana management issues start to fade when you start getting this tier's gear. For the first time on this Hpriest I am getting away from spirit.

I am guessing here, but I think a Holy Priest will be great in SoO for what you are looking for.

Edit:

About disc priest, do I have to keep shields on every person all the time, one by one? That's one of the things that is putting me off from disc the most.

No, you cast "spirit shell" which turns certain healing spells into a shield for a certain time. So you SS then cast your AoE Prayer of Healing, and a couple spells blanket the raid.

You do a lot of single shield casts but it is not a game of, "how fast can I spam this button" it is about timing incoming mechanics with SS and your abilities that boost your healing spells for bigger shields.
Edited by Prideth on 8/27/2013 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I have a druid, pally and priest (specced holy and disc). I must say even though Holy has great AoE heals, for total throughput, Disc blows it away.

I started as Holy and parsed very well in LFR and 10m Reg. I switched to Disc when we were having horrible issues on Horridon in 10m. It made Horridon ridiculously easy. I go holy every now and then simply because I like sparklies.....you just can't beat the sparklies.

I have recently spent time on my druid and find it extremely fun and powerful as well. LFR can get weird at times since people won't stand near your shrroms but if you can place them well, you will have insane aoe healing. On 10m it's pretty easy since you are communicating and people know where the shrooms are. I let people know when I'm gonna pop it giving them a few seconds to get close...this is usually in concert with a big spike in damage that is about to occur.

Overall I think you'll enjoy either Priest or Druid....biggest difference is probably in leveling since you can easily level in Disc spec where as it's not so fun as a resto druid (although you can spec Moonchicken and use the same gear).

I can't vouch for shammy or swirly monks though.
Edited by Fingerz on 8/27/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I must say even though Holy has great AoE heals, for total throughput, Disc blows it away.

People, come on. You're hurting my brain! Disc throughput ceiling is complete bottom of the barrel, holy completely blows it out of the water. Like, it's not even close.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I must say even though Holy has great AoE heals, for total throughput, Disc blows it away.

People, come on. You're hurting my brain! Disc throughput ceiling is complete bottom of the barrel, holy completely blows it out of the water. Like, it's not even close.

I guess they just look at the meters anywhere disc can snipe hardest (LFR/farm content/3-healed normal modes)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
08/27/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Gijora
Holy Priest. We're at our best when we're healing a 25m.

Holy is just as good in 10s. It's just not as common because Disc exists, and even then Holy can absolutely excel. I've solo healed Iron Qon in 10 as Holy and I don't think I could've done it as Disc because of the sheer amount of AoE damage that goes out that Disc just can't handle.
Edited by Illucia on 8/27/2013 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Holy priest is one of the best AoE healers around!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm surprised mistweavers haven't been mentioned.

In 10 mans we have the power to blanket most of the raid with Renewing mist, for extremely high passive healing. While also providing a large amount of dps (which converts into healing), all with next to no mana problems.

Mistweavers are THE strongest raid healer in 10 man for that reason.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'm surprised mistweavers haven't been mentioned.

P.S.: I do not like paladin or monk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think I have decided for priest, specially holy, but I'm worried about having to keep the hot up at all times... Is that really needed to keep up at all times? That'd feel like playing the druid with hots anyways...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think I have decided for priest, specially holy, but I'm worried about having to keep the hot up at all times... Is that really needed to keep up at all times? That'd feel like playing the druid with hots anyways...

Renew is only really important in 10 mans, and even then only on certain parts of certain fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well now the last question I have, I think, is about numbers. I kinda like big numbers and topping healing charts in worldoflogs and things like that. Does holy priest put out decent numbers?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well now the last question I have, I think, is about numbers. I kinda like big numbers and topping healing charts in worldoflogs and things like that. Does holy priest put out decent numbers?

Head on over to WoL, take a look at the top 100 for each fight, see if you see enough Holy priest representation there to satisfy your big #s desire (which isn't the way healers work). keep in mind that since this is the end of ToT, every healing ranking up there is a raid that set up the ranked healer to be able to get the biggest #s possible - they dropped healers, people mishandled mechanics, to make the healer's #s look bigger than what *you'll* see while raiding on that same class, unless *your* raid does the same for you once you all overgear the content.

If there aren't enough rigged Holy priest rankings in there for you to like the idea of Holy, consider the class you *do* see represented the most in overgeared, rigged rankings ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Agreed, and we'll deserved. I do understand how healing works and why meters do not measure proper healing. I just feel frustrated sometimes when I did 40k healing on Maegara and the priest did 120k... I also understand that all bosses and mechanics are different and so healers have advantages in some and disadvantages in others. I do want to concentrate on aoe healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The idea that shaman perform better in 25 mans than in 10s is a bit of a misconception. There are very good points that have been brought up recently by GMs that really call attention to this. You can check them out yourself, but in a nutshell they bring up two points: that the healing after 6 players in HR is diminished to the point that 6 people in a healing rain get a similar amount of healing as would 20, furthermore, they bring up the point that many pets/minions stack in healing raid and take over healing while diminishing the healing players with lowered health pools actually need. (Obviously 25man have many more minions/pets/mirror images than 10 mans)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]