HM 25m Lei Shen MW Monk...How can I improve?

90 Troll Monk
My guild has been struggling with Lei Shen Heroic for about a week and a half now and I am on a venture to increase my output. What I'm looking for is any theory-crafting assistance that can be given.

First a little about the guild...We really only started to consistently get through first transition on our last raid day [url]http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-yuxtl26wcbk1l299/sum/healingDone[/url] as these logs indicate. We also have 3 priests, a pally, and a shaman healing.

What I believe to be true (please correct me if you think i'm wrong)
1) With 2 primarily absorb class healers HoT centric healers aka (Monks and Druids) don't shine as much during periods of relatively low damage (aka phase 1)
2) We have been spending most of our time in phase 1 and the 1st transition as such my output looks poorer then it will once we are doing more of the fight (Still want/need to improve it though)
3) I know FW is supposed to be perfectly viable for this fight but the only time it would seem to me to be so would be during ball lightning adds during Phase 2 and 3 (I noticed my healing go up a bit once we got into phase 2 consistently.) When I look at High ranking logs Other (aka FW) is listed as high on spell used list. Where else should i be using FW if its so helpful?
4) I believe my gem/enchant/reforging is sound but if there are thoughts on improving it please share.

If there is any other little minute detail you think might help let me know
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
There is quite literally nothing to heal until the last phase aside from intermissions as a monk.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Not much you can do for phase 1, except maybe a revival one one of the thunderstruck. You should be fistweaving most the the first phase. However you are godly for transitions since you can double solo soak and have roll/chi torpedo for helm of command.

Now for P2 you are the only healer who can stack in melee and probably the best person to stun the balls once death gripped. Doing SCK will heal and help a ton.

In P3 you will shine since you don't have to run out for thunderstruck and you will be most likely the best person to keep the tanks up when other healers are out of range. Depends how you do your strat, but phase 3 is where you will most likely get the most of your healing on this fight.

I've done it not too many times on my monk, but hps is really only good if you can find the perfect moment to use revival. I wouldn't worry too much about it because you will shine when it counts.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Revival when moving from the 3rd to the 4th quadrant in ph1. Until then, throughput is going to be low if your other healers are good, but that is really not a healing intense phase at all. It's mostly about the tanks and stuff.

When ball lightning happens and is gripped, leg sweep and immediately chi burst the boss. You'll do quite a lot of damage to the ball lightning over the course of the fight this way. Unless your dps is just really amazing and doesn't need the help, then.. idk, use it some other time.

Anyway expect a lot of wipes when learning the fight. Chances are, the vast majority will not be due to any failing of yours. I think for us it was 300 attempts on the nose. And yeah the ph1/1st transition progression was honestly the most painful part and FELT the longest. Good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
I revival during the first intermission when bouncing bolts hit to stabilize the raid and then save it for p3. Way too many raid cds going off during that 3rd-4th quadrant transition because it's the only time anyone has a chance to heal other than the disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I revival during the first intermission when bouncing bolts hit to stabilize the raid and then save it for p3. Way too many raid cds going off during that 3rd-4th quadrant transition because it's the only time anyone has a chance to heal other than the disc priest.

Oh I'm healing lead so I can just yell at people if they do that lolol (well, I assign when the big healing CDs get used in ph1 anyway, so there really shouldn't be that degree of overkill regardless).

Granted - we also are not using a Brewmaster tank, meaning - I believe - our raid takes a bit longer to reposition the boss. If Revival wasn't used on the 3rd->4th for us we'd probably actually have to use a bunch of other healing cds for it. Though our damage intake there is absolutely much less than it was on progression.

Using it in the transition is a good idea, too, though - especially if the monk's raid has issues with transitions and/or has more than one mistweaver.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
08/30/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Swaggle
If Revival wasn't used on the 3rd->4th for us we'd probably actually have to use a bunch of other healing cds for it.

Or I could just spirit shell that instead of some random thunderstruck. IM NOT BEING HELPFUL IN THIS THREAD.
Edited by Tsilyi on 8/30/2013 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Keep people up when going from pillar 3 to pillar 4, keep your quadrant alive, be prepared for burst during ball lightning summons, and then you get to the juicy phase 3. Numbers outside of these situations don't matter.

We're about 150-200 wipes in, and I'd say less than 1% of our wipes were due to lack of healing output with the other 99% being someone failing at mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I know I only done this 10m, but healing is NOT hard.........We 2 heal it. Monk does fistweaving, I do smite spam.

I don't even bother to spirit shell thunderstruck - why? If people do their jobs and move they take little to no damage.

Plus healers helping DPS, kills the boss FASTER.

I smite spam p1 and p2, I use more PW:S in p3, but that's about it.
Monk stays in melee all 3 phases.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
08/30/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Tsilyi
If Revival wasn't used on the 3rd->4th for us we'd probably actually have to use a bunch of other healing cds for it.

Or I could just spirit shell that instead of some random thunderstruck. IM NOT BEING HELPFUL IN THIS THREAD.

> > I've actually started doing that. -giggle-
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
I know I only done this 10m, but healing is NOT hard.........We 2 heal it. Monk does fistweaving, I do smite spam.

I don't even bother to spirit shell thunderstruck - why? If people do their jobs and move they take little to no damage.

Plus healers helping DPS, kills the boss FASTER.

I smite spam p1 and p2, I use more PW:S in p3, but that's about it.
Monk stays in melee all 3 phases.

Pretty much what this person says. Both you and your disc priests should just be fistweaving hard in the first phase. Only did it in 10 man but our comp was disc priest / mistweaver.

I specifically told them don't waste your time spirit shelling or worrying about getting the raid up. I assume you have some enhance shamans. I was the primary healer in phase 1 since they can be pretty OP while not losing much dps at all (and incredibly useful in the transitions / phase 3).

Even if you don't do this my point is don't stress out about the healing meters and ESPECIALLY NOT in phase 1. If you have a disc priest who insists on spirit shelling, then there is no point in doing anything but fistweaving.

I would revival between platform 3 and 4.... but I realize in 25 man you probably have way more cooldowns here and so that you can coordinate between the rest of your healers.

The real only times you should be healing in phase 1 are platforming moving times. And perhaps to top people off if they don't move outta void zones fast or whatever.

I won't give you advice on phase 2 since that is quite a bit harder on 25 man. That specific phase is a complete joke on 10 man
Edited by Gardiff on 8/30/2013 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
I won't give you advice on phase 2 since that is quite a bit harder on 25 man. That specific phase is a complete joke on 10 man
There's even less damage going out than in p1 because crashing thunder isn't falling on the melee's faces. The fight is all positional requirements.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
08/30/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Pandamonius
There's even less damage going out than in p1 because crashing thunder isn't falling on the melee's faces. The fight is all positional requirements.

I meant more that you had to deal with 8 of the balls spawning or so. I guess since you probably will have two death knights in a 25 man, it isn't an issue (as opposed to 0 or 1 in 10 man since we only got 3 when doing it right). But if you don't have those death knights, I feel sorry for 25 mans... people would be spiking like crazy.
Edited by Gardiff on 8/30/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
08/30/2013 04:51 PMPosted by Gardiff

I meant more that you had to deal with 8 of the balls spawning or so. I guess since you probably will have two death knights in a 25 man, it isn't an issue (as opposed to 0 or 1 in 10 man since we only got 3 when doing it right). But if you don't have those death knights, I feel sorry for 25 mans... people would be spiking like crazy.

If you look at WoWProgress you can see the raid comp for H Lei Shen kills. I very much doubt you will find a single H 25 man kill that doesn't include at least 2 dks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]