Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide 4.1

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
Currently using tendrils of darkness and anhuur's hymnal. I'm not going to be raiding. I'm looking at the +hit caster trinket from baradin's wardens. I lost the hourglass mentioned above to a badly gemmed mage /twitch so I'm kinda wondering which trinkets I should be attempting to pick up for my moonkin set. Is the darkmoon fair card worth the stupid absurd amounts people want? Is Tyrande's favorite doll any good?

DMC: Volcano is considered Best in Slot by most people. Tyrande's Favorite Doll is all right because of the static SP gain you would get, but the secondary use on it is kind of "meh".

The Stump of Time is pretty "meh" for you since the hit would be wasted itemization, but can at least be reforged to ~140 Haste (which you should do with Anhuur's Hymnal).

I'm using the Talisman of Sinister Order (quest reward: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28267) and Stump of Time because my trinket drops have always sucked :P

02/13/2011 12:12 AMPosted by Gozreh
Edit: Armory tidbits: Chest has matching socket bonus as I needed the spirit to reach hit cap.

If you're not raiding then you don't need to reach the Hit cap. You're at 16.75% hit. That's a lot of wasted stats for a cap you don't need.

Black Magic on my staff as I had extra materials for it and am waiting for a heroic weapon before I use my Hurricane scroll.

Mmmmmm...81 SP would have been a better choice as a stop gap.
90 Worgen Druid
Even with the nerf? They added an ICD, I have a hard time believing it will be that good now.

It worries me with the reg version. Although, the buff should be fully stacked the first time you're landing eclipsed DoTs, so at least that part won't affect us. But a ~10s rampup does put a dent in its effective SP gain, which was already slightly below the alch trinket on reg. I just... have this road block against using theralion's mirror (not to mention its static int is lower that the alch trinket) and I also have a hard time believing our two best trinkets are crafted ones.

----------------------
About bracer enchants. I'm not paying absurd prices for 50 int to bracer(going about 800+ your materials, and the maelstrom crystals alone are almost 3k per) and I don't need more spirit(have a spellthread made waiting that will rectify the .25% miss rate) so I'm using haste instead.

Well, you still have your blue bracers. Unless you're super rich, I wouldn't really recommend using any enchant that requires maelstroms until you have an epic in that slot - I wouldn't stop anyone from doing it, but I wouldn't say "you have to do this". But I think that WotLK haste is a viable cheap alternative, and I'll go ahead and list it - thanks for pointing that out.

What *is* our haste cap, or caps this time around? I dont have fishers that can fish up sagefish so I've been using haste food, haste elixirs(not raiding, not worth using flasks)and I'm sitting at 21% and some change self buffed. NG and I'm at 41%. 43 almost if I pop lifeblood.

If you have an inscriptionist, Recipe: Fortune Cookie is another option. The mysterious cards cost 1 parchment and 1 blackfallow ink to make and the flour is bought from a vendor. I didn't look at your guild level, but if you guys have Recipe: Broiled Dragon Feast available, that gives 60 of a stat, and doesn't require you to fish anything up. Be careful who you have cook it, though, as the item is BoP.

As for haste cap, we don't have a cap, per se. We do have some interesting break points where our dots gain more ticks, but they're not worth gearing around except for a few possible extreme situations.
90 Worgen Druid
Alright, so I just got together a moonkin set and re-spec'd my OS. I've read the guide, but I'm still trying to quite figure out the rotation and how it works so I can queue and practice and pick it up.

But anyway..

Insect Swarm
Moonfire
Starsurge
Wrath spam?

And so basically...each of those moves generates lunar power, and once you reach an eclipse you pew more,

Yep, that's pretty much right. Just be aware, you can't always pick the direction of your eclipse. It will usually be picked for you. So make sure you're not wrath spamming if you should instead be starfire spamming. But yes, that is the basic idea.

and then what makes eclipse go away?

Sorry if this is explained, I just don't quite understand it.

Your eclipse goes away when your eclipse power reaches 0 again. So, once you hit an eclipse, you'll be at 100 energy. Spamming the right nuke for that eclipse will decay your power by the same amount that it would increase it. So once you cross the 0 point, your eclipse is gone and you're working toward your next one.
90 Worgen Druid
Thank you.

What is the best move to spam for during the different eclipses? Obviously keeping dots up?

When your arrow is pointing right, you cast starfire. When it's pointing left you cast wrath. Lunar eclipse buffs arcane spells and solar eclipse buffs nature spells.
90 Worgen Druid
Is anyone else seeing an eclipse bar bug where you are always put at full neutral? Whenever I die, my arrow goes back to 0 and *looks* like it has a direction, but I can make it go in the opposite direction by casting the wrong spell. I noticed this cause I was pointing at lunar, and I cast a SS and it went the wrong way. Now I've been testing it every time. Sometimes, it doesn't even reset its direction once I proc an eclipse, either. It will still be neutral, and SS will sometimes cause me to backtrack...

85 Night Elf Druid
02/13/2011 6:38 PMPosted by Eluial
Is anyone else seeing an eclipse bar bug where you are always put at full neutral? Whenever I die, my arrow goes back to 0 and *looks* like it has a direction, but I can make it go in the opposite direction by casting the wrong spell. I noticed this cause I was pointing at lunar, and I cast a SS and it went the wrong way. Now I've been testing it every time. Sometimes, it doesn't even reset its direction once I proc an eclipse, either. It will still be neutral, and SS will sometimes cause me to backtrack...

Ya I have noticed this too since 4.0.6 went live. I'm unsure as to whether it's intended or not, but imo I like this way more. It makes more sense to be put at neutral when you die.
90 Night Elf Druid
02/13/2011 6:38 PMPosted by Eluial

I noticed that during BWD tonight and a couple of times it has screwed me up (because I mashed the wrong button :D ). On Balance Power Tracker though, the Neutral state is shown by a Diamond on the bar rather than an arrow. If you see <> then it's Neutral.
90 Worgen Druid
On Balance Power Tracker though, the Neutral state is shown by a Diamond on the bar rather than an arrow. If you see <> then it's Neutral.

That's the thing though... on BPT it is NOT showing the neutral arrows every time it is neutral, which is one of the reasons it's so damn frustrating.

I wouldn't mind too much if after death it just always reset to neutral - it would save the occasional double respec. But it's also exhibiting other wonky behavior like sometimes starting at some value of energy that's not 0, despite having died. And like I said before, sometimes it doesn't lose its neutrality after you hit your first eclipse.
90 Night Elf Druid
Obviously you need to delete your WTF and WDB folders!
90 Worgen Druid
02/13/2011 9:40 PMPosted by Ikagawa
Obviously you need to delete your WTF and WDB folders!

nooooooooo!

I do have a kind of old version of BPT I think. I posted on the bug forums about it, and will update the rotation section to reflect the rotation changes necessary for the time being.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065610467#1
85 Worgen Druid
As of raiding last night, everytime I died my eclipse bar reset to neutral and I basically just open up with IS, MF, then wrath to point me that way and then use SS (pray you dont get SS proc before then lol). I believe when it's neutral and you use SS it will just flip a coin and point you in some direction.
90 Worgen Druid
02/14/2011 7:53 AMPosted by Siumai
As of raiding last night, everytime I died my eclipse bar reset to neutral and I basically just open up with IS, MF, then wrath to point me that way and then use SS (pray you dont get SS proc before then lol). I believe when it's neutral and you use SS it will just flip a coin and point you in some direction.

At neutral and 0 energy SS will always make it go toward a solar eclipse. At least, it has done that every time for me, and for anyone I've asked, so I feel like I can say with reasonable confidence that it will always do that (unless they change the code).

The thing you mention with the shooting stars proc is weird, though, and I've noticed it too. It makes me wonder whether starsurge's eclipse energy is calculated at a different time from wrath's, or if it's something about the cast going off before the wrath has actually hit. Because if you go dots -> wrath -> instant SS you get +13 toward lunar first, and then +15 toward solar, leaving you at a net of +2 toward solar, which is really frustrating!

But if you go dots -> wrath -> normal SS you get what you would expect, which is +13 toward lunar and another +15 toward lunar.

edit: and if you go dots -> wrath -> wrath -> instant SS you get everything going in the right direction too. So it really seems to be a problem with the SS cast finishing before the wrath hits.
Edited by Eluial on 2/14/2011 5:58 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Excellent guide, thanks!!
85 Troll Druid
I dont see anything in your rotation section about Faerie Fire. I don't know if this spell still matters, but I would like to know if we are still supposed to use it or not. Thanks!
90 Worgen Druid
02/14/2011 9:01 PMPosted by Kavux
I dont see anything in your rotation section about Faerie Fire. I don't know if this spell still matters, but I would like to know if we are still supposed to use it or not. Thanks!

It's not in the rotation section cause it's not something that should even be on your bars :)

Faerie fire is purely a melee debuff, and in a raid setting, there is very likely someone else that provides an equivalent debuff. If there isn't, you can discuss with your raid leader whether or not they think it's worth it for you to put up. It costs a moonkin 3 GCDs every 5 mins to maintain the full debuff on a target.
90 Night Elf Druid
They supposedly fixed Starfall! Rejoice!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]