Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide 4.1

(Locked)

90 Troll Druid
Awesome, that means I will have even more threat problems during raid tonight! When do we get our threat dump?
85 Troll Druid
all i got to log tonight was marrowgar, deathwhisper, and halion cause lootship was bugged. more to come tomorrow but it looks very promising:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-s3j944p5u44lonmd/sum/damageDone/?s=817&e=914

hooray sunfire fix.
90 Tauren Druid
With the changes to Sunfire making it work like Moonfire, is it still more beneficial to cast Sunfire before Insect Swarm in Solar Eclipse?
85 Worgen Druid
With the changes to Sunfire making it work like Moonfire, is it still more beneficial to cast Sunfire before Insect Swarm in Solar Eclipse?

no, with the changes, it is always better to cast IS first.
90 Worgen Druid

no, with the changes, it is always better to cast IS first.

^yep
85 Night Elf Druid
brilliant guide. Moonkin is my offspec so I have not done as much research on that spec as I have resto so this will be very useful to me.
Edited by Tumtillion on 11/17/2010 6:55 PM PST
90 Troll Druid
Changing from Sunfire first to IS first is still weird. Slowly getting used to it, would have gotten more time in on it last night, but like most raids, we had to stop at Gunship because it bugged out. :(
90 Worgen Druid
Changing from Sunfire first to IS first is still weird. Slowly getting used to it, would have gotten more time in on it last night, but like most raids, we had to stop at Gunship because it bugged out. :(

heh, yeah. I actually ended up moving my action bars around so IS is 1 and MF is 2, so that I wouldn't keep hitting MF first.
100 Tauren Druid
This thread needs more moonkin dancing. Hopefully sometime it'll get stickeyed too.
85 Night Elf Druid
I sit correct.

EDIT: removed post on order of IS/MF to prevent confusing people who didnt read everything in detail (like me :-))

Apologies,
-c
Edited by Cenus on 11/18/2010 9:33 AM PST
85 Troll Druid
this has been noted. also, it's been noted that with the sunfire fix in 4.0.3, it now ALWAYS makes sense (no matter what Eclipse or non-Eclipse state you are currently in) to refresh IS first, them MFire/Sunfire variant second.
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the guide! You've obviously put a lot of work into it, and it shows. I'm looking forward to the level 85 version when it comes out.

I have a question about Starsurge, and if its already been answered in this thread please tell me to "L2read": When should Starsurge be used if it is not an instant cast? Should it take priority over Wrath / Starfire when its not on cooldown?
90 Worgen Druid
Thanks for the guide! You've obviously put a lot of work into it, and it shows. I'm looking forward to the level 85 version when it comes out.

I have a question about Starsurge, and if its already been answered in this thread please tell me to "L2read": When should Starsurge be used if it is not an instant cast? Should it take priority over Wrath / Starfire when its not on cooldown?

Yeah, you should definitely always be using starsurge on cooldown, whether it's from a proc, or just when the CD comes up on its own. It will always hit harder than wrath or starfire.
80 Night Elf Druid
I'm currently using the Wrath/IS/SS glyphs (i usually just spam MF in heroics + IS and Starfall for like 8k single target and i forget what trash) - im guessing the moonfire glyph wouldn't get much utilization if you are spamming MOONFARE!?
85 Worgen Druid
I'm currently using the Wrath/IS/SS glyphs (i usually just spam MF in heroics + IS and Starfall for like 8k single target and i forget what trash) - im guessing the moonfire glyph wouldn't get much utilization if you are spamming MOONFARE!?

incorrect. if you're just spamming is and mf/sf then the wrath glyph is doing absolutely nothing for you. you are operating under the assumption that moonfire doesn't tick if you endlessly spam moonfire. when 4.0.1 hit, the rules regarding dots were changed so that if you clip a dot it still ticks. therefore, moonfire is still ticking if you spam it.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=40923

the glyph is different from the 3.3 version. it does not reduce the initial damage in favor of increased periodic damage. it simply increases periodic damage.
80 Night Elf Druid

incorrect. if you're just spamming is and mf/sf then the wrath glyph is doing absolutely nothing for you. you are operating under the assumption that moonfire doesn't tick if you endlessly spam moonfire. when 4.0.1 hit, the rules regarding dots were changed so that if you clip a dot it still ticks. therefore, moonfire is still ticking if you spam it.

the glyph is different from the 3.3 version. it does not reduce the initial damage in favor of increased periodic damage. it simply increases periodic damage.

Oh, well that's fun. I think I'll keep wrath anyway for those rare moments in a heroic when I cast something other than MF.
90 Worgen Druid

Oh, well that's fun. I think I'll keep wrath anyway for those rare moments in a heroic when I cast something other than MF.

SS would be a better choice for a setup like the one you want. You'll still get shooting stars procs, so you can use starfall on the move, and it will lower your starfall CD so you can use it more often.
85 Night Elf Druid
keeping this on front page
100 Tauren Druid
Bzzt.

Page 2 is the incorrect answer. I'm sorry.
100 Troll Druid
Hey guys good news! We get a threat reduction in 4.03a

Because unless they fix it (assuming it is a bug) Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is going to be HORRIBLE.

Bracing Emberstorm Diamond int/threat reduction is going to be better.

On the plus side MF is getting buffed, Starsurge is getting buffed by being tucked in with moonfury.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]