Dark Rangers, Possession Theory

85 Orc Death Knight
With the surge of Dark Rangers appearing all over the Undercity and Forsaken areas throughout Wrath, particularly within the last year since 3.3, would it be correct to assume that the Dark Rangers are Sylvanas' rangers from life who have much like the Banshee Queen possessed their own bodies to simultaneously fight with the techniques learned in life and the dark gifs of undeath?

The primary reason I make this assumption is because Arthas, Rise of the Lich King states that Arthas raised her rangers from life as Banshees to throw her a bone as additional torment to her undeath.

There are certainly Banshees that remain in ethereal form within the Forsaken ranks such as Melisara in Tarren Mill and Sharlindra adjacent Sylvanas.

My primary question is this. Have other Banshees exhumed their own corpses to follow Sylvanas as their ranger-general in death, or are the existing Dark Rangers simply elven forsaken or are the Dark Rangers a cohesion thereof?

To expand upon this are the Dark Rangers just now exhuming their corpses or have they been in hiding or away on secret missions out of the player's sight for years? Sylvanas' corpse was kept in a coffin by Arthas as additional torment for her but it is hard for me to believe that he had a coffin for each individual Banshee as that would require a lot of resources and management for something so unimportant to their cause. I do not think it would be a stretch to say that the ranger's bodies could be mostly preserved due to Quel'dorei magical longevity and the forces that maintain the eternal spring of Quel'Thalas.

Where are the male Dark Rangers? Nathanos Blightcaller would be the exception to pretty much every rule in the above as Banshees never seem to be men. This was suggested with the title of the Acherus exclusive; Touch of the Banshee (http://www.wowpedia.org/Touch_of_the_Banshee). Certainly not all of the rangers under Sylvanas' command were women as her replacement, Halduron Brightwing, is male himself.

Update Questions

If Dark Rangers posses limited powers of necromancy or sorcery as they seem to exhibit, where the average Forsaken does not, and the source of this is their origin as Banshees then why does Nathanos Blightcaller Marris possess command over the undead, as seen in the vanilla wow raids on his character?

If a Dark Ranger posses her own body, are there consequences? It would seem to me that a Banshee possessing her own corpse would be no different than possessing any other. Yet when Lord Vincent Godfrey turns on Sylvanas and kills her at the end of the Silverpine Forest Horde chain she does not appear to escape her body and become Banshee once again. Does this mean that there are special rules regarding Banshees and possession? Ones that could perhaps refuse their spirit to the corpse for good trading Banshee powers for corporeal undeath permanently?
Edited by Saggins on 11/5/2010 8:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
With the surge of Dark Rangers appearing all over the Undercity and Forsaken areas throughout Wrath, particularly within the last year since 3.3, would it be correct to assume that the Dark Rangers are Sylvanas' rangers from life who have much like the Banshee Queen possessed their own bodies to simultaneously fight with the techniques learned in life and the dark gifs of undeath?

The primary reason I make this assumption is because Arthas, Rise of the Lich King states that Arthas raised her rangers from life as Banshees to throw her a bone as additional torment to her undeath.

There are certainly Banshees that remain in ethereal form within the Forsaken ranks such as Melisara in Tarren Mill and Sharlindra adjacent Sylvanas.

My primary question is this. Have other Banshees exhumed their own corpses to follow Sylvanas as their ranger-general in death, or are the existing Dark Rangers simply elven forsaken or are the Dark Rangers a cohesion thereof?

To expand upon this are the Dark Rangers just now exhuming their corpses or have they been in hiding or away on secret missions out of the player's sight for years? Sylvanas' corpse was kept in a coffin by Arthas as additional torment for her but it is hard for me to believe that he had a coffin for each individual Banshee as that would require a lot of resources and management for something so unimportant to their cause. I do not think it would be a stretch to say that the ranger's bodies could be mostly preserved due to Quel'dorei magical longevity and the forces that maintain the eternal spring of Quel'Thalas.

Lastly where are the male Dark Rangers? Nathanos Blightcaller would be the exception to pretty much every rule in the above as Banshees never seem to be men. This was suggested with the title of the Acherus exclusive; Touch of the Banshee (http://www.wowpedia.org/Touch_of_the_Banshee). Certainly not all of the rangers under Sylvanas' command were men as her replacement, Halduron Brightwing, is male himself.

It is Mentioned in the Stormrage book that Slyvannas' personal gaurds are undead elves, and also Slyvannas has been known to show contempt towards males do the fact Arthas was a male human. But As Slyvannas always acts with Utter hatred toward everything its hard to tell
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Most Dark Rangers were elves who served under Sylvanas when Arthas invaded Quel'thalas. However some aren't. Dark Rangers may train other undead Blood/High elves if they wish.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Dark_ranger
Edited by Zendarr on 11/5/2010 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

But As Slyvannas always acts with Utter hatred toward everything its hard to tell

Besides the fact that you're wrong, that was completely unnecessary. That's how threads devolve into flame wars and pointless arguments.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
yeah, they've always "been there" in lore, just not in-game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

But As Slyvannas always acts with Utter hatred toward everything its hard to tell

Besides the fact that you're wrong, that was completely unnecessary. That's how threads devolve into flame wars and pointless arguments.

Sorry, it just seems like everytime I see her on my Horde toons she is ranting about somebody failing or how she shall anhillate x for doing y, One would just suspect shes bitter and consumed by Hatred for the fact she is cursed to live as a undead.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

If Dark Rangers posses limited powers of necromancy or sorcery as they seem to exhibit, where the average Forsaken does not, and the source of this is their origin as Banshees then why does Nathanos Blightcaller Marris possess command over the undead, as seen in the vanilla wow raids on his character?

According to WoWpedia Nathanos is a Dark Ranger. It is entirely possible that he was made into a...male banshee and he then reclaimed his body, but they just didn't feel like making him a unique model.

If a Dark Ranger posses her own body, are there consequences? It would seem to me that a Banshee possessing her own corpse would be no different than possessing any other. Yet when Lord Vincent Godfrey turns on Sylvanas and kills her at the end of the Silverpine Forest Horde chain she does not appear to escape her body and become Banshee once again. Does this mean that there are special rules regarding Banshees and possession? Ones that could perhaps refuse their spirit to the corpse for good trading Banshee powers for corporeal undeath permanently?

Quoted from Arthas: RotLK;

"She[Sylvanas] preferred her corporeal form for ordinary, everyday activities."

I'm also quite sure that it said if she/any banshee was killed, they could simply repossess another body. I'll try and find that now.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

Sorry, it just seems like everytime I see her on my Horde toons she is ranting about somebody failing or how she shall anhillate x for doing y, One would just suspect shes bitter and consumed by Hatred for the fact she is cursed to live as a undead.

Well I finished almost every Horde quest in the EK whilst doing part of my Loremaster achievement, but I did not see much of her doing that. In fact, she is only involved in 9 quests. A few of those are simply sending you to meet Thrall or something of the like. Sylvanas hates two things(as do much of the Forsaken). Arthas first and foremost, and then Humans.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

According to WoWpedia Nathanos is a Dark Ranger. It is entirely possible that he was made into a...male banshee and he then reclaimed his body, but they just didn't feel like making him a unique model.

Quoted from Arthas: RotLK;

"She[Sylvanas] preferred her corporeal form for ordinary, everyday activities."

I'm also quite sure that it said if she/any banshee was killed, they could simply repossess another body. I'll try and find that now.

a male banshee.. hm... i think he's probably more a regular zombie (forsaken). dark rangers don't necessarily use banshee specific powers, i think.

i think banshees are unique to elven women. the males "ghosts" actually have a different model (looks vaguely like the final fantasy mage dude).
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

Well I finished almost every Horde quest in the EK whilst doing part of my Loremaster achievement, but I did not see much of her doing that. In fact, she is only involved in 9 quests. A few of those are simply sending you to meet Thrall or something of the like. Sylvanas hates two things(as do much of the Forsaken). Arthas first and foremost, and then Humans.

I Could Understand her situation if she wasen't well, raising Humans as undead. then I could even deal with that but in Anderhal in cataclysm when she mindcontrolls them, it just crosses the line for me. Even the ORCS in Cata dislike her for raising undead, and I dont think in she would care if in a tight situation she raised Orcs and other Horde
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
as for sylvanas dying.. that's a good point! my guess is she hangs out in her original body so much perhaps her soul has become "rooted" in it once more, instead of being detachable.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

a male banshee.. hm... i think he's probably more a regular zombie (forsaken). dark rangers don't necessarily use banshee specific powers, i think.

i think banshees are unique to elven women. the males "ghosts" actually have a different model (looks vaguely like the final fantasy mage dude).

"Many dark rangers are former banshees. The difference is dark rangers have regained their physical bodies, thus possessing greater powers."

From WoWpedia. Perhaps he isn't.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter

"Many dark rangers are former banshees. The difference is dark rangers have regained their physical bodies, thus possessing greater powers."

Right. From what I understand, Banshees are specifically female Elves (there are few "wild" Banshees in Kalimdor of dead female Night Elves. The Scourge Banshees are undead female High Elves). I'm very sure Nathanos was never a banshee because he's male and more importantly, a human.

(There exists male spirits, certainly, but I've never seen - or heard of - a male Banshee.)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

"many"

i've just never heard of a male banshee is all. tough to say.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

"many"

i've just never heard of a male banshee is all. tough to say.

That's what I meant. Just many.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

That's what I meant. Just many.

oh >.> <.<

wasn't *quite* sure if thats what you meant or not lol

sorry D:
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I Could Understand her situation if she wasen't well, raising Humans as undead... Even the ORCS in Cata dislike her for raising undead, and I dont think in she would care if in a tight situation she raised Orcs and other Horde

Though that is true initially, you must realize that High Warlord Cromush sees the need for Val'kyr's dark gift at the end of the chain when they give their lives to resurrect Sylvanas on his orders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6gYeeqBTM

Also, don't be so surprised at Orcish hatred for the unnatural. They generally are not that different from dwarves in that regard since the cultural revolution of the new Horde took place. Hence why Warlocks are frowned upon and all of those who do not follow honorable paths reside in the drag and cleft of shadow.
Edited by Saggins on 11/5/2010 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
I Could Understand her situation if she wasen't well, raising Humans as undead... Even the ORCS in Cata dislike her for raising undead, and I dont think in she would care if in a tight situation she raised Orcs and other Horde

Though that is true initially, you must realize that High Warlord Cromush sees the need for Val'kyr's dark gift at the end of the chain when they give their lives to resurrect Sylvanas on his orders.

"FIX HER FIX HER FIX HER!"

That cracked me up.

But yes, the Orcs were forced to accept the Forsaken's "ends justify means" philosophy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Although Sylvanas has reclaimed her undead high elven body, she still retains the ability to shift in and out of her incorporeal banshee form at will. - This is directly from WOW's WOTLK website.

If my memory is correct in WC3 banshees couldn't shift out of their host but in WOW we see certain banshees shifting in and out of their host such Lady Nightswood. All in all I'm under the impression that banshees have different levels of power I would assume your common banshees can work common spells such as possessions while other banshees have the power to infiltrate holy cathedrals undetected then there's Sylvanas who does it all.

Sylvanas death was poorly written. How does the Queen of banshees die from a gun shot wound? It would have been fitting to see Godfrey and his henchmen use a magical spell of some sort to disconnect Sylvanas from the magic that's holding her together. I'm still salty about her being pwned by little Timmy's peashooter.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior

Right. From what I understand, Banshees are specifically female Elves (there are few "wild" Banshees in Kalimdor of dead female Night Elves. The Scourge Banshees are undead female High Elves). I'm very sure Nathanos was never a banshee because he's male and more importantly, a human.

(There exists male spirits, certainly, but I've never seen - or heard of - a male Banshee.)

Actually I beleive the RPG mentioned that the majority of banshees were the spirits of night elven women trapped in the mortal plane by the Sundering.

Ner'zhul drew them to him, and gave voice to ten thousand years of torment.

Of course most Banshees we see in game clearly reference being former High Elves, so it could be the rpg bit was forgotten or retconned. It makes sense given the vast number of banshees while there was a rather small population of high elves to begin with, and only so many of those slain would have been women.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]