Improving Holy Power

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
I've been thinking about this for awhile. Holy Power needs some extra mechanic for Holy to make it more interesting. We now have two spells operating on Holy Power, but using it is never a decision. It's always better to use it than to not.

My original idea was to increase mana regen when you had three Holy Power, though I'm not sure how well that would work. I've heard reports that our regen on the beta is pretty outrageous, but I don't know.

My new idea is a little more complex, but it fixes one of Holy's biggest problems (in my opinion): it's total reliance on big, straightforward heals, and its lack of absorbs (partially fixed through Mastery, I guess) and HoTs.

Maybe, once you reach three Holy Power, your mana-using direct heals (Divine Light, Flash of Light, Light of Dawn [Holy Shock has too much riding on it already]) also apply an HoT to your target. This effect consumes no Holy Power, and its strength is not tied to how much Holy Power you have; it only ever occurs when you have three.

This creates a decision: do you want to spread a few HoTs around over the course of the next several seconds, or do you want a large, free heal right now (and, now, free AoE healing)?

Ultimately, what I'm trying to think of are ways to give Holy Power (and the Holy paladin in general) more depth and decisions. What are some of your ideas for improving Holy Power or depth?
Edited by Lightcrown on 11/6/2010 7:10 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
A stronger absorb? maybe make a splash heal when you have three holy power? there's lots of things i'd like to see done with it. AND BRING BACK SACRED SHIELD. =D
85 Tauren Priest
We now have two spells operating on Holy Power, but using it is never a decision. It's always better to use it than to not.

I think Holy Power is indeed intended to be something you have to watch and try not to waste (like combo points) rather than something to hoard and save for burst or something.

I also think the developers would not be very amenable to an effect that encourages you to hold onto your Holy Power and manifests as a passive bonus, as Holy Power was conceived in order to change up the "rotations" for all 3 specs (of course, healers don't have rotations, but yannowudimean).
100 Human Paladin
I just want it to have its own aura. So I don't have to run power auras or count my casts.
100 Human Paladin
I just want it to have its own aura. So I don't have to run power auras or count my casts.

Ditto with EG. I actually find procs of EG more of a pain to track than HP gains or Daybreak (even if Daybreak didn't have an aura).
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think there is really a problem with holy power that needs to be fixed by tying more effects and spells to it. Holy Power is already very important for holy paladins to use and keep track of.

Ditto with EG. I actually find procs of EG more of a pain to track than HP gains or Daybreak (even if Daybreak didn't have an aura).

I used Mik's Scrolling Combat Text to make a distinctive sound when I have three holy power. This make eternal glory a lot more noticeable when it procs.
Edited by Wasselin on 11/6/2010 8:56 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Ultimately, what I'm trying to think of are ways to give Holy Power (and the Holy paladin in general) more depth and decisions. What are some of your ideas for improving Holy Power or depth?

Why don't you go to school and get a degree in game design or something. I'm honestly not trying to be rude. But it always puzzles me when I see these types of threads. What are you trying to accomplish by starting them?

You can never talk about class design out of context with encounter design. Frequently, what looks like an issue with a class is really and issue with the encounter and vice versa. If you add depth to the class what does that do to the encounters...make them trivial, make them impossible, make them longer, make them too short. What does it do to all the other classes in the same situation. There are a ton of pieces to the puzzle.

I actually blame Ghostcrawler. I think he's smart and awesome. But when he posts you are only getting one part of the entire game design picture. An important part, but only one part. And it makes people think that fiddling with class mechancis is all there is to game design. No. No, it's not.
85 Human Paladin
A stronger absorb? maybe make a splash heal when you have three holy power? there's lots of things i'd like to see done with it. AND BRING BACK SACRED SHIELD. =D

I miss the old HL glyph's splash healing. It was kind of cool in its own way. The problem with it (and, possibly, Sacred Shield) is Cata class and encounter design. That glyph would just be too good today, and I'd rather get something else than a watered-down version. Sacred Shield has been butchered and rolled into our Mastery, which I'm not sure whether I like or not.

I also think the developers would not be very amenable to an effect that encourages you to hold onto your Holy Power and manifests as a passive bonus, as Holy Power was conceived in order to change up the "rotations" for all 3 specs (of course, healers don't have rotations, but yannowudimean).

That's actually a very good reason to ditch my older mana regen idea. Passives aren't very interesting anyway.

Here here! I'd also like an EG aura, or at least a distinct sound. Unless I pay attention to my hpp bar every time I use it, it's like getting the rug pulled out from under me when EG procs and I don't know it.

Why don't you go to school and get a degree in game design or something. I'm honestly not trying to be rude. But it always puzzles me when I see these types of threads. What are you trying to accomplish by starting them?

From this point on, only those with a PhD in Marine Science may discuss game design or provide feedback and ideas.
Well, time to close down the forums.
Edited by Lightcrown on 11/7/2010 12:22 AM PDT
100 Human Paladin

I used Mik's Scrolling Combat Text to make a distinctive sound when I have three holy power. This make eternal glory a lot more noticeable when it procs.

ooo, I had a thought. Does anyone have a link to the AJ thread of Jig's latest video? In it he shows a macro for readjusting the Rune bar on a dk to be larger and centered right above your toolbar. I'm thinking a similar macro could be used for HP.

EDIT: nvm, the HP bar is recognized only as our player frame [thus doesn't show up with /run print(GetMouseFocus():GetName())]. Moveanything may work, but for now the HP bar cannot be independently adjusted with a script.
Edited by Fridays on 11/7/2010 6:54 AM PST
80 Dwarf Paladin
Any mechanic that encourages you to hold on to your 3 stack of HP (and thereby wasting further HP generated) sounds just awful.

The high-speed rogue-like feel of generating "combo points" and then using your finisher to consume the combo points is a whole new healing model, yes. It is also very engaging and entertaining. If you don't like it, maybe you should be looking at a new class to play?

What you are describing sounds a lot like the new Priest Chakra to me. Maybe you should check that out and see if their style of healing is more your interest now.
80 Draenei Paladin
After playing with it on beta, the holy power system feels like its nearly perfect. Only thing I'd like to see is maybe more charges of holy power in the holy tree. Not sure if other specs could put it to as much use as us.
100 Human Paladin
After playing with it on beta, the holy power system feels like its nearly perfect. Only thing I'd like to see is maybe more charges of holy power in the holy tree. Not sure if other specs could put it to as much use as us.

Actually I believe ret would love this, especially during zerlotry uptime.

Prot; not so much.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]