Druid or Shaman?

Ive been playing resto shaman all wotlk. In cata we're making a 10 man guild and I'll be 2 healing with a holy / disc priest. I can't decide whether to stick with my shaman or roll resto druid this time around since in wotlk we wiped alot becuase shaman can't heal effectively while moving while resto druids can do it easily. What is your guys opionion? I think switching to druid would be a good change as it is and has always been a better healer but i like my shaman alot =S
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Well, despite us getting a spell to allow casting while moving we will still be the most immobile healer out there. So if the fights have lots of movement we will struggle again. Not sure how well a druid would pair with a priest though
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
you are probably going to want 3 healers for a 10man until your farming so you should pick up a druid or switch if you cant find one
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
92 Night Elf Druid
It shouldn't matter what healing class you have.
Reply Quote
I wish it didn't..
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Yeah, as someone mentioned above, you should definitely be 3 healing encounters that aren't farm content. Also, if you're wiping because you can't heal while moving, anticipate wherever possible so that you can reposition and then heal as the damage comes in. Also, +15% movement speed, instant ghost wolf, spiritwalker's grace, healing rain, and nature's swiftness. Mobility should not be an issue my friend, unless you don't spec into the first two, but that'd be pretty silly.

Oh yeah, Holy priests can basically become holy druids, thanks to chakra, so I'd say stick to being a shaman.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
As a current beta player I have had the opportunity to play all the healing classes. Strictly in my opinion I enjoyed the shaman. The healing style is very fluid and fun. If I wasn't married to my priesty here I would have switched. On the other hand the druid is also fun but healing wise has not changed much from what it is now. Really depends on what healing style you are looking for. Also if you PvP at all I would consider which style you prefer, rated BGs will be in Cata so I would keep that in mind.

Honestly as far as being worried which will be the right pair up to the priest either choice will do fine. Also as advice, I wouldn't be to worried about who is OP right now because all of it will eventually level out.
Reply Quote
In regards to 3 healing progression i agree this is more normal but our 10 mans thing is to 2 heal 6 dps for some reason and we've never had a problem with it. Cool to hear your guys opinions tho im leaning towards resto druid atm
Reply Quote
I think resto druids are pretty solid, being able to heal on the go is extremely important, however it sounds like instant cast HoTs aren't going to be completely the answer, especially when it comes to mana efficiency. I'm gonna have to go with what a lot of people are saying here and that is to 3 heal 10 mans. And have one of those healers be offspeced DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Shaman get a spell at 85 that lets you cast all your heals on the run for a brief period:

Spiritwalker's Grace (level 85): When this self-targeted buff is active, your spells are no longer interrupted by movement and possibly even by your own attacks. This will give shaman of all three specs another way to heal or do damage when it's necessary to move in both PvE and PvP. Instant cast. 10-second duration. 2-minute cooldown.

Between that and Healing Rain, we may be better in this department than we have been in the past.

All the same, I was able to heal Ruby Sanctum on my shaman, and you hardly ever get to stand still in there past P2.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Shaman sounds like a more likely compliment to a Priest. I have none of the informative stuff to back that up, but that's how I feel.

I agree that your raid group shouldn't be anticipating just going with a 2 healer model; better to err on the side of caution. Certainly at the beginning, while everyone is undergeared, the pressure will fall much more heavily on the healers' shoulders until everyone starts getting upgrades. Later in the expansion 2 healing will be a more reasonable expectation.

Shaman can do some really amazing healing. Since I don't play one (effectively) I can't describe exactly how, but I raid with a Shaman regularly and she does a great job. I'm a Disc Priest, and we've 2 healed a number of encounters.

Play a Druid if you enjoy healing as a Druid, play a Shaman if you enjoy healing as a Shaman. We're all interchangeable at this point, assuming we mesh well with the class we're playing, but that's a personal matter rather than game based.

And get your raid to hire on that 3rd healer. While I assume it'll be possible to 2 heal, why the heck would you plan to stress out your healers on purpose to start things off? That may just burn the healers out more quickly than you need to.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I wish it didn't..

QFT

1. Healing rain is the most expensive cast you get, and its durration = cd, its o-k but still rather weak in comparing other aoe heals.

2. spirit walkers grace - awesome BUT the durration is to short for the CD but somethings better than nothing.

3. Shamans are pretty good tank healers now in t11. So if your priest can manage everyone else + help you then you should be ok for the normal content but you will want a 3rd healer/hybrid.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
It shouldn't matter what healing class you have.

true, but it will.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
In regards to 3 healing progression i agree this is more normal but our 10 mans thing is to 2 heal 6 dps for some reason and we've never had a problem with it. Cool to hear your guys opinions tho im leaning towards resto druid atm

Cata != wrath.

You could 2heal wrath content because you were able to output absolutely stupid amounts of healing with infinite mana. With cata, you're healing output at 85 is about the same as what you're able to do now. (serious) yet health pools have increased like 3fold. In addition to this, your mana pool is a LOT more finite. Try and spam like you did 2healing wrath and you're oom in 2min.

You'll be 3healing, I can just about assure you of this...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Druids are the best AoE heals and have some great defensive capabilities, shadowmeld can be a lifesaver as long as you don't have any DoTs on you. Thorns is a very handy agro assist for the tank. Since the patch, my mana hardly seems to move unless the proverbial has hit the fan and now that we heal mostly in Nelf form, a bit of dps is in the offering while the HoTs are up. Love the Durid :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I would stick with what you know and like.

My husband plays a disc priest (disc/holy, mostly disc), and I play a resto druid. We compliment each other very well. Shields + hots are full of awesome.

He has also done quite a bit of two-healing with a shaman in raids, as well as with a healadin, and done well with all of those.

I recently have geared up a resto shaman, and the playstyle is quite a bit different, but even with the shaman + him on his disc priest, it all goes well. <3 Earth shield

I think you just have to work with your other healer(s), play off each other's strengths, and in the end, stick with what you like to play to make it enjoyable.
Reply Quote
83 Orc Shaman
I've got a resto druid and I heal with this guy also. The thought process between a druid healer and a shaman healer is quite different. On a druid you really have to pre-plan your HoT's and you can not fall behind the damage in vs healing out curve, as they do not have many tools to really get someone from 10% to full very quickly. A shaman has more at his/her disposal to perform that ability. Although not as well as a holy paladin or a priest.

I say try the druid they are a fun class to play and if you get tired of healing on your drood, you can tank!

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Roll up a druid, see if you like it. Play both, or whatever's most fun. If you end up loving druid, great, but if you hate it, don't play it just because you think it'll prevent a wipe. Don't reroll based on what's OP or FotM; for all we know, in 4.1 shamans will be kings and druids will suck, at least until 4.1.2 comes out and changes everything again.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Play both as you can swap them out as needed. My main is a resto shaman and i love him. My druid here is a noob that has been at 80 for a few weeks and is powerful. Movement is more of an issue in PvP imo as none of the icc fights really required that much movement. THey are completely different in their styles and both are fun. My shaman has been sitting for the past few weeks and i have been gearing up this guy to progress faster in leveling. I will say for PvP i enjoy this guy alot more than my shaman. Shamans once targeted are screwed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]