Prot PvP

85 Draenei Paladin
Anyone else really enjoying pvp as a Protection paladin currently? I just use all of my ret gear and I seem to be unstoppable. I find killing healers to be a tad bit easier when you can get a Grand Crusader proc and double silence your target. Just wondering what everyone else was doing in pvp currently, because I am having way more fun as prot than the other two specs.
85 Human Paladin
Anyone else really enjoying pvp as a Protection paladin currently? I just use all of my ret gear and I seem to be unstoppable. I find killing healers to be a tad bit easier when you can get a Grand Crusader proc and double silence your target. Just wondering what everyone else was doing in pvp currently, because I am having way more fun as prot than the other two specs.

I'll join BGs in PvE prot gear with my pocket Holy Pally and just totally wreck people.
85 Draenei Paladin

I'll join BGs in PvE prot gear with my pocket Holy Pally and just totally wreck people.

Ahh yeah, my pve prot gear isn't that great compared to my pvp set. I just reactivated my account after being out since February early this year, so the ret gear is working wonders. My friend also re-upped and he's a shadow priest, between his fears, and my stun/silences we just dominate everything. I bop him when he gets in trouble, and with offheals we just keep on rolling.
85 Draenei Paladin
I hope it is arena viable at 85, because I don't know how much I'll be able to get into rated BG's. Rated BG's is probably where all the action is going to be this expansion though.
100 Human Paladin
I think the accepted strategy at 85 is going to be to play like your spec dictates, which is more defensively.

I've already had some success with it in Battlegrounds. While I don't wreck anyone's face, I can whittle them down, and I'm a HUGE disruption to casters and even melee. Just using CS and Judgement on a melee, you can cut their damage down by a huge amount.

Survival is important if you're going to play that role. The longer you live, the more you can disrupt people, and you'll find people are dumb and pump tons of damage into a tank who's getting heals. I find it's good to mix PvE and PvP gear, but maybe all PvP gear will work better with some reforging to mastery or dodge/parry. Most of the damage in PvP seems to be magic though, so resilience really helps. I've been gemming resilience and stamina. My damage is low but I've been able to pull off amazing things like last for 20 seconds against 4 people and prevent a flag cap in AB while my teammates respawn. I can only imagine what it would be like at 1600 resil.
Edited by Dekkar on 11/8/2010 3:37 PM PST
85 Draenei Paladin
I hope it is arena viable at 85, because I don't know how much I'll be able to get into rated BG's. Rated BG's is probably where all the action is going to be this expansion though.
This is just a guess, but they're probably going to bring Protection more in-line with the other tank PvP spec - Prot Warriors. That is, we do low to medium damage but are very good at CC's (with GrC procs, we can lock down casters - a LOT).

So no, we might not run double healer comps anymore, but with a lot of mobility, a ranged snare, a ranged silence, etc, it's looking pretty good, if not for Arenas for BGs at least.

Yeah I hear ya, I have trouble staying on my target sometimes with freedom being so easily dispelled. Other than that it's a blast. I think it will perform much better in BG's over Arena's.

I think the accepted strategy at 85 is going to be to play like your spec dictates, which is more defensively.

I've already had some success with it in Battlegrounds. While I don't wreck anyone's face, I can whittle them down, and I'm a HUGE disruption to casters and even melee. Just using CS and Judgement on a melee, you can cut their damage down by a huge amount.

Survival is important if you're going to play that role. The longer you live, the more you can disrupt people, and you'll find people are dumb and pump tons of damage into a tank who's getting heals. I find it's good to mix PvE and PvP gear, but maybe all PvP gear will work better with some reforging to mastery or dodge/parry. Most of the damage in PvP seems to be magic though, so resilience really helps. I've been gemming resilience and stamina. My damage is low but I've been able to pull off amazing things like last for 20 seconds against 4 people and prevent a flag cap in AB while my teammates respawn. I can only imagine what it would be like at 1600 resil.

Ahahaha, yeah I love the full pvp gear. I'm at 1400 resil right now and with Sanctuary and about 40% damage reduction together, it's like permanent shield wall vs spells. Add in the glyph that turns Divine Protection from a 20% damage decrease to 40% magic damage and you got some real mitigation. I just have trouble getting snared to death sometimes if freedom is removed. As you said, sometimes you can get 4 manned and last long enough to really make a difference. I remember an AV where there were 7 horde in the tower and myself and I held them off for 30 seconds to cap the tower. It required a bubble and only using holy power for WoG but it worked xD
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Prot in BGs is shaping up nicely. Might take a hit on the Protector of the Innocent nerf, but that was coming from a mile away anyways. Was kinda fun soloing a group of 3 or 4 for extended periods of time.

I still think Blizzard has a few more things to tweak, but Prot PvP isn't dead, at least not yet.
85 Human Paladin
You're making me wonder if I could actualy dps in ret equipment...
Dmg in prot is a way lower than ret, but more consistent.
Something I should try...
Now... to find a real good one hander weapon to dps....
85 Draenei Paladin

What I liked about using the pvp ret gear for prot pvp was this, I'd get a huge amount of AP, and above a 25% chance to crit. Also, with resil, you can add in sanctuary and you're looking at a perma shield wall practically. Assuming they are additive and not multiplicative of course. It's just mean, and it works :P

I'm currently ret because my future arena partner is going as a shadow priest and ret offers WAY better offhealing to save his ass. I hope at 85 this changes, because I really miss my pvp prot already :(
100 Human Paladin

What I liked about using the pvp ret gear for prot pvp was this, I'd get a huge amount of AP, and above a 25% chance to crit. Also, with resil, you can add in sanctuary and you're looking at a perma shield wall practically. Assuming they are additive and not multiplicative of course. It's just mean, and it works :P

I'm currently ret because my future arena partner is going as a shadow priest and ret offers WAY better offhealing to save his ass. I hope at 85 this changes, because I really miss my pvp prot already :(

You actually don't get a huge amount of AP more. Tanking gear and ret PvP gear generally have close to the same amount of strength, now that AP is removed as a stat. The only real DPS benefits you get are crit and haste. It's up to you if you want to reforge away some of that for increased survival versus melee. I've found having higher block through mastery allows a lot of Reckoning procs and helps me destroy melee better.

@Kensaidan, prot isn't meant to be a smash-your-face spec in PvP at 85. It just can't compete with ret's passive damage bonus. However, it's very good as a control spec, and can still smash faces when you get focused, as long as a hunter isn't Tranquilizing you. Tranq shot prevents Vengeance!
85 Draenei Paladin
No. Lack of Vengeance means low DPS in PvE.

Oh you meant pve wise, nah just stick to tanking for PvE. If you want some competitive PvP with the spec, ret gear works well.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]