Holy Paladins' Reactive Healing

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I was going to bring this to the Paladin forum but it seems like more of an issue where I'd get better insight or advice from other healers.

I'm not about to whine about how Paladin's rank up to other healers on the live servers, although I've noticed and have indeed been told that a lot of people in my group wind up sitting at low health for a few seconds. Reason being is that I can't heal two people at once like I used too, mainly. While other healers are more concerned with mana conservation and overall healing output, I seem to be far more concerned with getting as much use out of each GCD as possible. I basically play this class as if it was a DPS almost. Just to reiterate, this is a problem that I have on live servers.

Every other healer has some form of preemptive healing mechanism, and that was okay when Beacon was 100% and we had Sacred Shield, but without either, healing seems far too reactive right now. Even if I predict some incoming damage, there's not much I can even do about it (even though the HPally Mastery kind of had the right idea I suppose). I can't Renew, Lifebloom, PWS, Earth shield, etc a tank before he runs in. The only thing I can do is Beacon him for the Holy Power and then heal him once he takes damage. If someone else is taking damage, there's no way for me to "spread out" my heals so to speak. Basically, I can only heal one guy at a time. I suppose I have buttons like BoP and Freedom and even Sacrifice for these kinds of scenarios, but they can only do so much.

I'm not complaining! I'm rather asking other healers of my class how they deal with this... Often time our tank will chain pull an entire heroic and will constantly have a cheat death proc because I have to leave him alone for a few seconds to save some dps. Should I reforge spell power or something to make my shocks and WoG's heal for me? How can I hold out until cata with such poor methods of preemptive and multiple healing...?
Edited by Lexfae on 11/7/2010 8:49 PM PST
85 Tauren Priest
It probably seemed okay when you had Sacred Shield because you only cared about the health bar of 2 targets. ;)

But srsly, Holy Paladins do play like DPS now. Your heals give you Holy Points and you cash in those Combo Power for an Eviscerate of Glory or Light of Knives. You haven't really lost any preemptive/sustained healing spells, except the one you always kept on the Beaconed tank anyway.

While I think it might have been a mistake to deny Paladins access to Holy Radiance until 83, I think you're still more than adequately equipped for heroics. If it's more of a "feel" thing, though, I'd recommend sampling the buffet. Have you tried the Druid? =)
85 Human Paladin
It probably seemed okay when you had Sacred Shield because you only cared about the health bar of 2 targets. ;)

But srsly, Holy Paladins do play like DPS now. Your heals give you Holy Points and you cash in those Combo Power for an Eviscerate of Glory or Light of Knives. You haven't really lost any preemptive/sustained healing spells, except the one you always kept on the Beaconed tank anyway.

While I think it might have been a mistake to deny Paladins access to Holy Radiance until 83, I think you're still more than adequately equipped for heroics. If it's more of a "feel" thing, though, I'd recommend sampling the buffet. Have you tried the Druid? =)

Even in the (admittedly) OP state of hpals on live I still definitely feel the pain of not having proactive heals in pvp against a half decent opponent. With the pvp nerfs we've received on beta (most of them being justified) it's gonna hurt. They only excuse that was left for a hpal not to have proactive healing was their overtuned self-defenses. With those outta the picture, what really is left? What is our niche, what is our strong point?

EDIT: Basically I'm saying: attempting to balance a healer around the exclusion of a very fundamental tool tends to only lead to problems.
Edited by Fridays on 11/7/2010 9:11 PM PST
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
Do you have any idea how happy I would be if they switched us from having LoD at this level to HR?
85 Tauren Priest
Even in the (admittedly) OP state of hpals on live I still definitely feel the pain of not having proactive heals in pvp against a half decent opponent. With the pvp nerfs we've received on beta (most of them being justified) it's gonna hurt. They only excuse that was left for a hpal not to have proactive healing was their overtuned self-defenses. With those outta the picture, what really is left? What is our niche, what is our strong point?
EDIT: Basically I'm saying: attempting to balance a healer around the exclusion of a very fundamental tool tends to only lead to problems.

I think things will feel better with larger health pools. The "arms race" of No Periodic Effects -> Strong Instants -> Vulnerability to CC -> CC-Resistance Talents has been amputated from the balance of the Holy Paladin, but we're still operating on the same health pools we were when the game was balanced around Holy Paladins having a 30% reduction to just about everything that could keep them from casting.
Edited by Believe on 11/7/2010 9:13 PM PST
85 Human Paladin

I think things will feel better with larger health pools. The "arms race" of No Periodic Effects -> Strong Instants -> Vulnerability to CC -> CC-Resistance Talents has been amputated from the balance of the Holy Paladin, but we're still operating on the same health pools we were when the game was balanced around Holy Paladins having a 30% reduction to just about everything that could keep them from casting.

It would be nice if it were that simple, but I doubt it.

Through out wrath there were basically 4 reasons to bring a hpal. 1. our Hands 2. Cleanse 3. AM 4. dodging cc (most often this was through sacs).

1 has been severely hurt since we have even less trash buffs on a target to protection our bop or freedom or w/e. The Fol hot was amazing only really for that reason.

2 has been marginalizing by granting all healers magic removal capability. I do think that this was a good move, however it should be recognized that such a move can displace healer balance if implemented w/o counter-balancing initiatives.

3 still strong and proud

4 severely neutered. You touched on this yourself, however the removal of DS was something you forgot to mention. It is important, very very important. Taking away a niche of a class leaves behind a question of 'why me then?'.

As I've mentioned before, I don't give a whiff about larger health pools if I can't effectively pick-up someone up (or for that matter stabilize them) and if I don't have the tools to contribute in a more diverse and interesting manner (control, offense, forced positioning etc etc) then I might as well spend my time writing grants :P. My first part lends itself to healing in cata in general, yet the second part is quite crucial to hpals at this stage. We have become something that we weren't in wrath; we have become more well rounded and had our strengths brought in line with other classes. However I do not think that our weaknesses have been fully addressed yet.
Edited by Fridays on 11/7/2010 9:30 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
In my case I run with another HPally. We both beacon the same target if it's a 1 or 2 tank boss fight. If it's a 3 tank fight then we just split out.

Basically what you gotta do is keeping the beacon on the tank. The rest of the time you have to be either:

A- Constantly Healing (so that the tank recieves constant ticks of healing, even if 50%)
B- Healing reactively the raid but always keeping an eye on the tank so that you heal him when he needs it.

Also another good thing to do is: Learn the boss fights, know when the tanks/raid will be getting hit for more damage.

Train a lot... That way you'll be more prepared for Catalcysm =)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]