[hunters] Immolation & Explosive Traps?

85 Orc Hunter
Hunters have two types of fire-based traps, explosive and immolation. It seems to me that explosive has always been the better of the two, and because they share the same cooldown (with black arrow, no less), immolation seems to be a bit...useless. It hits one target, doesn't do much damage per tick, and not many people are stupid enough to stand in the fire once they realize it's there.

I'd like to propose a solution: immolation trap adopts the mechanics of explosive trap, and explosive trap becomes something like a concussive trap, inflicting a daze or stun or disarm or disorient or something on every hostile unit that trips it. Something useful in PVP but not so much in PVE.

(Yeah, I so stole that idea from Hellgate: London.)
Edited by Kabbie on 11/7/2010 9:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Hunters have two types of fire-based traps, explosive and immolation. It seems to me that explosive has always been the better of the two, and because they share the same cooldown (with black arrow, no less), immolation seems to be a bit...useless. It hits one target, doesn't do much damage per tick, and not many people are stupid enough to stand in the fire once they realize it's there.

I'd like to propose a solution: immolation trap adopts the mechanics of explosive trap, and explosive trap becomes something like a concussive trap, inflicting a daze or stun or disarm or disorient or something on every hostile unit that trips it. Something useful in PVP but not so much in PVE.

They could make explosive be like the volatile trap from the frenzyheart daily, the one that explodes with a knockback.
Reply Quote
82 Human Paladin

They could make explosive be like the volatile trap from the frenzyheart daily, the one that explodes with a knockback.

That is a very cool idea! I don't know how well the idea of another knock back would fly with people but if it is something a bit subtle like a 3-4m knock back then it might have its uses in rated bg (use a trap in the right spot to knock someone down off an edge etc)
Reply Quote
80 Orc Rogue
It doesn't even explode, they need to make it blow the player back 10(?) yards and put a DoT on them.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
But if we lose explosive trap, SV hunters will break their max dps rotation..

Or, well... they could just buff black arrow.

Black Arrow has been better on the beta for a few weeks now.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
If anything black arrow needs some sort of backlash for dispelling it, it's a little disappointing to fire off my 22 second CD DoT only to have it go away before it can do any damage -_-
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
But if we lose explosive trap, SV hunters will break their max dps rotation..

Or, well... they could just buff black arrow.

Immolation would take over explosives current role. Only problem is that explosive traps don't stack.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't see why fire traps can't have some pvp utility as well (aside from entrapment of course).

And WHY is Black Arrow still tied to fire traps? It really doesn't need to be at this stage (or ever??).
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
And WHY is Black Arrow still tied to fire traps? It really doesn't need to be at this stage (or ever??).

Because both are on T.N.T.

The wisdom of allowing for twice as much chance to proc LnL is another matter though (I personally would not like to have to keep launching traps for max dps).

Well remove one from T.N.T?

It just seems restrictive in its current implementation.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Well, what's funny about that is that if you wanted the most consistent LNL proc, you'd simply use an Ice Trap (which doesn't work on bosses, mind you). However, because of LnL's ICD, why should Black Arrow and fire traps share a cooldown if the supposed restriction is to limit the amount of possible LNL procs? It makes no sense.

Also, I believe I did not make myself understood in my original post.

Old Immolation Trap goes away: it sucks anyway.

Old Explosive Trap keeps all of its old properties, but it renamed Immolation Trap. Hell, if the two traps were combined into one - say, Immolation Trap's effect in the center surrounded by Explosive Trap's AOE - that'd also be cool.

New Explosive Trap becomes something concussive in nature, like a daze, knockdown, stun, or something.
Reply Quote
They need to fix Explosive Trap. Currently it does dmg via the Debuff, however the debuffs dont stack. So multiple hunters using Explosive trap for AoE only 1 gets the dmg for it. This needs to be resolved.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Seems like we've been asking Explosive to do this for a very long time. At least a knock back or something...after all it's called "Explosive Trap". Not even a knock back maybe...maybe something along the lines of those rockets on the GunShip. It could blow people in any direction. So smart DPS would trip it from the front and be blown forward. haha...that would be so awesome.

I hope they do change it someday to be something cool.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not even sure why immolation trap is in the game still.

I suppose they could remove explosive trap from lock'n'load but that seems pointless given that the talent has an ICD anyways. Plus, it gives SV something else to do during AoE between explosive trap launches and multi-shot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]