Do we really need an 8th pet class?

Warriors, rogues, and paladins are currently the only 3 classes that don't use pets or guardians. Unfortunately, paladins are getting a guardian summon as their level 85 ability. What happened to combatting homogenization? Pets and guardians aren't needed to perform well in PvE or PvP, so there's no need to give them to so many classes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
It is hardly the same thing as a pet from a pet class such as hunters/locks. It is on a cd and has a short duration - a cd with a snazzy graphic really isn't that big a deal..

Far as other classes, again you are making a big deal out of nothing. I think it is prolly in a class as a whole's best interest that the specs play and feel different from each other than for them to be similar 'too' another class. An UH DK isn't like a hunter or lock, there is enough flavor between them that it is OK for UH to be a pet spec, same for frost.

Why not complain that all casters have cast time nukes? That is pretty much what you are doing far as pets/guardians.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Who gets a racial for their lvl 85 talent?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Guardians and pets work wildly differently. You might as well claim that priests were always a pet class because of lightwell.

Anyway, pet classes:

Hunters
Warlocks
Frost mages
Unholy DKs

Classes that can summon guardians:

DKs
Paladins
Shaman
Balance druid
Priest

Seems fine to me, especially considering that all the pets/guardians are wildly different from each other.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Guardians and pets work wildly differently. You might as well claim that priests were always a pet class because of lightwell.
Anyway, pet classes:
Hunters
Warlocks
Frost mages
Unholy DKs
DKs
Paladins
Shaman
Balance druid
Priest
Seems fine to me, especially considering that all the pets/guardians are wildly different from each other.

Enhancement Shammies get wolves as pets, but those are a cooldown summon, so I'm not sure if that makes us a pet class.
Edited by Matuk on 11/5/2010 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Human Mage
Enhancement Shammies get wolves as pets, but those are a cooldown summon, so I'm not sure if that makes us a pet class.

Nah, you would go in the Guardian category, because yours is on a time limit. And c'mon guys, summoning stuff is cool, that's why you see it so often. Why do you have to go all emo on it and whine about homogenization? There are only 2 true pet classes now just as there were in vanilla. I think we're doing fine.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Anyway, pet classes:
Hunters
Warlocks
Frost mages
Unholy DKs
DKs
Paladins
Shaman
Balance druid
Priest

I dont know if totems count as guardians, but I know earth and fire elemental do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You want to summon @@#!, then roll a warlock. Stealing my class's core ability here. :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The Paladin 85 ability is something pretty unique. The closest thing is Warlock guardians or Shaman elementals, and even those aren't that close. You are getting caught up on the graphic. It is not a pet.
Reply Quote
I can see your concern that is a good bit of classes with pets but I think blizz is going about this right. The whole guardian thing is just really cool and feels very unique to the class, it's not really like say a hunter or a warlock's pet.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
I'll give up my pet for a more reliable mana regen cooldown.

qfmft.

They should buff priests hymn of hope to restore tons of mana to the priest, nerf the cd, and make shadowfiend only restore mana as shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Theres a big difference between real pets and CD pets.

Hunters (all specs)
Warlocks (all specs)
DK (Unholy)
Mage (Frost)

are the only true pet specs in the game. The rest of the specs either don't have any pets at all or their pet is tied to a CD.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Death Knight
Hey, at least you don't get a racial ability for your 85th talent point.

Who gets a racial for their lvl 85 talent?

Hunters.

Shadowmeld.

Where have you been?

Camouflage is not Shadowmeld. I think you need to brush up on just how valuable this ability is going to be.
Edited by Aedryn on 11/6/2010 2:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]