Gauging interest: UI Making Guide.

80 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm a little tired of my current UI, and I'm looking to make a new one. The old UI & Macro forums were often bogged down with a lot of requests for simple things that could be easily answered, but were made into their own threads instead of a centralized place. These two points made, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in me documenting my UI making process, giving helpful tips and other little useful tidbits like addon recommendations and cosmetic/under-the-hood addons I use to make life easier, right from the default interface to the finished product.

Of course, it would take a while, but I'm just wondering what you guys think. I think it'd be a nice way to start a comprehensive single thread where simple questions about addon setup could be asked. It'd go straight from the basics of pre-planning and what the good and bad points of a UI are, down to minute details such as font choice and color. It wouldn't be crazy in depth, because although I've had a lot of experience with addons I'm not perfect, but it'd be fun for me and could help people new to the UI-building community.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
I vote a sticky for you. I think all of our resources should be updated from the old forums and re stickied here. Wonder if we should consolidate it to one whole post. Wonder if we can get blizzard to give us our own webspace, like we Just have one sticky that has guides and resources and then players just click on that...

Of course even with that kinda of information right in front of people, they will still ask ><
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree - this is a great idea and I would love to have the knowledge! I am always cruisin through all the cool mods I can find trying to decide if they will work well or not with. I dont know anything about actual making of UI's tho ^_^
I vote for sticky!

**Why doesn't my pic show up here? By DK shows up LOL.....
Edited by Celestialsin on 11/6/2010 6:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i would like this.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
There's little point to addon recommendations because it's already covered by vranx. On the other hand the community is currently lacking in configuration guides or UI design concepts. I haven't really seen anything written on that topic since Sovereignty's blog, which isn't currently maintained.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
There's little point to addon recommendations because it's already covered by vranx. On the other hand the community is currently lacking in configuration guides or UI design concepts. I haven't really seen anything written on that topic since Sovereignty's blog, which isn't currently maintained.

Yeah, there's Vranx. The UI recommendation portion of the guide wouldn't be the centerpiece - It would be more like 'Hey, while we're discussing this, here's a really good addon that does this job really well' And of course, I'd make sure to mention Vranx since most UI novices come here first and don't know what or who Vranx is.

EDIT: So far there seems to be a decent amount of support. I want to try out TukUI and the new config addon I've heard about, for my own personal UI. After I'm done with that, I'll skip on over to the next weekend and start working on this guide provided the support continues. I think the way I'll do it is make a thread, and have the first post be a sort of introduction to the very basics of UI and addon usage, with links to things like Vranx and wowinterface/curse, as well as a short FAQ based on questions I get asked as I go through. Then, as I add new chapters in the thread, the OP will be updated to link to them.
Edited by Subdivision on 11/6/2010 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd love to see something like this. I've tried and failed to make an addon several times; I just can't get a handle on it and it's very difficult to teach yourself how if you don't have prior programming experience. A walk-through of how to make an addon would be very helpful to people like me.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I'd like to see a forum where you have the "Tips and Tricks of <Blank> Addon"

Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd love to see something like this. I've tried and failed to make an addon several times; I just can't get a handle on it and it's very difficult to teach yourself how if you don't have prior programming experience. A walk-through of how to make an addon would be very helpful to people like me.

You misunderstand. There wouldn't be much, if any, mention of actually making an addon - The point of the guide would be to take someone who hasn't ever used an addon before and guide them through the process of making their own UI. So there wouldn't be any dabbling into Lua, if it can be helped.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]