Cataclysm Time Skip

85 Troll Hunter
I'm sure i'm not the only RPer asking this question. Cata time skip: How will it work? We all know its not overnight but how do we work it in seeing its a 3 year jump and the elemental invasion brings Deathwing out before the actual shattering making the Clysm still seem like an overnight deal
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
There is no timeskip, as far as WoW is concerned. Everything happens as it happens. For US, not our characters, US, there will be a slight one, where things on Azeroth are built before the Shattering rips Azeroth a new one.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
There is some suspension of belief. I'm currently roleplaying this time period as the three years of peace, assuming that yes the Lich King has been vanquished and people are returning home. The time skip is just that, a time skip. You have to assume those three years happened between 4.0.1 and the next patch in a way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Where are people getting this time skip business? There's one in the Worgen starting zone, but for everyone else... the Shattering happens in "real time". We have the elemental invasion/cultist stuff that's happening live now, at the end of all this pre-Cata world event stuff we'll all log off, download the patch, Intro Cinematic where Deathwing sets fire to everything, and then we log in and the World (of WarCraft) is changed. The only time skip involved I think would be the construction of new buildings, like new Night Elf town north of destroyed Auberdine or the new stuff in Orgrimmar, and I don't think that would be 3 years.

Yes, I know it takes years to build entire towns and cities in the real world, but this is an MMO based on an RTS series, where bases are built in a matter of minutes. Maybe Cataclysm takes place 3 months after the Shattering, but surely not 3 years....
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
Where are people getting this time skip business? .

According to I believe some quest references in the beta and the book they released, there are a considerable number of years between the Cataclysm and the fall of the Lich King.

What I'm not clear on is if that timeskip is between the Shattering (were deathwing wakes up) and the death of Arthas, or if it a timeskip between the fall of Arthas and the start of the expansion, (like when our characters first step into the new 80 + leveling zones.)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Yes, I know it takes years to build entire towns and cities in the real world, but this is an MMO based on an RTS series, where bases are built in a matter of minutes. Maybe Cataclysm takes place 3 months after the Shattering, but surely not 3 years....

Even in the RTS the day/night cycle was much faster than the one in reallife like stupidly faster. So its reasonable to assume those bases were built in days and hours not minutes. And they were built with haste in times of war, not to last.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter
There is no timeskip, as far as WoW is concerned. Everything happens as it happens. For US, not our characters, US, there will be a slight one, where things on Azeroth are built before the Shattering rips Azeroth a new one.

Actually, you're incorrect on this. There ARE timeskips between expansions, it says so in each manual. The skips between Classic to BC and BC to Wrath were both 1 year. People are assuming that the timeskip in Cata must be 3 years due to some bits of quest text that suggest it.

As for the buildings, we can ICly assume these have been popping up since the end of Classic, and we just haven't seen it.
Edited by Brightmoone on 11/6/2010 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

Actually, you're incorrect on this. There ARE timeskips between expansions, it says so in each manual. The skips between Classic to BC and BC to Wrath were both 1 year. People are assuming that the timeskip in Cata must be 3 years due to some bits of quest text that suggest it.

As for the buildings, we can ICly assume these have been popping up since the end of Classic, and we just haven't seen it.

That's still only a timeskip for us, and not our characters. WoW time flows smoothly from one thing to the next.
Edited by Slaye on 11/7/2010 3:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

That's still only a timeskip for us, and not our characters. WoW time flows smoothly from one thing to the next.

They weren't even time skips. There was time lost. The Lich King manual specifically states 1 year since the start of the Burning Crusade/Outland. Yet it was nearly 2 years. It doesn't really have to be explained either. Everyone knows there has been a skip so there is no RP justification requirement.

It's a bit like explaining how 500,000 characters have killed Arthas. Story will say Tirion and a handful of heroes... but we all know it was us.

Some things are best avoided for RP and this is one.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
It's been about 2 years since the start of WotLK, if anything. A year and a half for the war in northrend and almost a year from the Fall of the Lich King until the Shattering.

That's how I see it.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I will point out that a quest in Westfall pretty much comes out and tells you that it's been five years since vanilla - a questgiver states that's how long it's been since he's seen the red bandanas of the Defias Brotherhood.
Reply Quote
84 Troll Priest
It's been about 2 years since the start of WotLK, if anything. A year and a half for the war in northrend and almost a year from the Fall of the Lich King until the Shattering.

That's how I see it.

This is how I view it. Most of the time that passes in between expansions you can view as time you've already rped in game.

Gahhhh, Cata makes me want to try to rp again. :(
Reply Quote

http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_(unofficial)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Well what I meant was that things will seem to happen absurdly fast. Org's gates will be built, things will get blown up, Ashenvale invaded, all overnight for us. But for our characters, they're happening at a much more reasonable pace.
Reply Quote
Well what I meant was that things will seem to happen absurdly fast. Org's gates will be built, things will get blown up, Ashenvale invaded, all overnight for us. But for our characters, they're happening at a much more reasonable pace.

Then we agree. I thought you were saying that it was really that ridiculously fast in-game.

The only thing "timeskips" refer to are the periods of time that each expansion takes. It's not saying that "Arthas dies, then we skip a year." It's saying "All of Wrath takes place over this year."
Edited by Sorrel on 11/8/2010 5:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I think this is "been happening" while we've been in Northrend. I know the gameworld doesn't portray that very well but I've been imagning all this happening while I'm gone.

Just like now we're seeing earthquakes and elementals appear and suddenly everyone will return from Northrend to find the world in peices, if not being there when the majority of it happens.

The rest that "suddenly pops up" might just have to be left to each player's imagination to justify in their own way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]