Holy Paladin Out with the Old in with the New

85 Blood Elf Paladin

Forum Topic: What do you miss most about your Holy Paladin after the changes.
Also what do you now like and dislike the most about the new Holy.

Currently threads on this new site are still quite plain and boring so far - so I figure I'd open a more versatile discussion and compile players thoughts in regards to Holy Paladins.

Myself:

What i miss most about Holy Paladins: For me that will definitely be 'Gylph of Holy Light'.
It really wasn't that hard for me to choose which i will miss the most even though there are plenty of things to be missed, out of all of them i will miss splash healing the most. The Glyph gave me as a Holy Paladin a feeling that our single target healing was so powerful that it splashed or spilled over onto others nearby. That was what made my Paly feel unique compared to Hots, ChainHeal or CoH when i looked at other healers.
I do also miss Sacred Shield - but as a Val'anyr wielder i like the Mastery a lot more than Ss.

What i like most about new Holy Paladins: As above, Illuminated Healing is what i like most about the new Holy. I personally was much relieved to read the changes to our mastery after the Hr nerf / balance. Also after much frustration with broken Recounts on live and not recording our absorbs correctly, im also one of those people that is very happy to see the Mastery as my top throughput in some Icc25 Hm fights - situationaly.

What i dislike most about new Holy Paladins: Our 31 point "New" Aoe - LoD. I like Hr and am happy to see it nerfed / balanced and not being Op any longer, even though Hr is really boring as an Aoe healing spell - "press button, 10 second instant noodles". To me its not very engaging, even though it is powerful with talents etc. For me what i most dislike about the current Holy Paladin is the cone heal for LoD. I know creating something new isn't easy, but creating something new is a lot easier than creating something that works - reliably. I am however very, very happy about the recent update with LoD now working off of Holy Power. That is a step in the right direction and will now make using Holy Power less redundant and more engaging than just using our free heal on 3 Holy Power. In the end what i dislike is simply having to face my character in a certain direction to heal - that direction being the actual direction that the heal needs to go to hit those that actually need it.

Please contribute guys and tell us what you will miss and then what you like / dislike most for Holy Paladins and Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
What I miss most about Holy Paladins
Blessing of Wisdom. I know that it's been morphed into Might - but I really miss the healer looking icon that BoW had.

What I like most about the new Holy Paladin
I had to lol when I read your post because what I like most is what you like least. I really like Light of Dawn. I think it feels like it belongs to a plate wearing, shield weilding healer. Yeah, I know it's hard to position - but it just feels beefy and in-your-face-ish and I like it =).

What I dislike most about new Holy Paladins
This one is easy. Divine Plea. It was useful at 25% but now, even glyphed, it actually feels like I am losing more mana than I get back. I know we have ways to make it work - but I honestly would rather just see it removed and figure out another way to give us mana regen. Or better yet - make it 25% again and reduce the mana back from judgement =D.

Overall though I really love the new Holy Paladin. You did real good Blizz! Thank You

hmm, new forum won't let me post on any other toon than this one...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Divine Intervention. Bubble hearth.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
What I miss:
Sacred Shield. I miss the graphic, I miss the effect. I dislike that our "buffer" (like lifebloom, earth shield, renew) doesn't have any effect when we're not healing someone else. But! I accept that homogenization has happened enough, and it's ok to be a little different.

What I dislike: Honestly, what I would say on live is that I miss Judgement being mana-positive and I wish our 31pt talent was more usable. BUT! On beta right now, both of those things have changed. So now I just have to wait patiently for the changes to come to the live servers

What I love:
I love that it FINALLY feels like we have a full toolkit. I like that we have procs and spell synergies. I love Light of Dawn. I like things that reward spatial/situational awareness, and so even with the wonkiness of the cone, I am glad that it is a cone. I'm glad that it's tied to Holy Power now. It makes HP feel more integrated as a mechanic, it makes LoD usable more often (previous incarnation did NOT feel like a 31pt talent, but now it does to me.) I also, like Tyriss, am pleased with our mastery. I wish it rolled, but I like the concept.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What I miss:
Sacred Shield.

What I miss, that I don't know why I miss:
Judgement of Light. I guess I liked my judgement to debuff the mob? I would never have expected to miss it, and I don't really miss the healing it did-- it's just when I judge I expect to see a debuff pop up and I don't. I thought of it as the paladin version of healing stream.

What I like:
Holy Shock. I'm glad holy shock is finally a great heal. I have always wanted to like Holy Shock, but before it was kind of hard to, since it healed for very little and cost too much mana.

What I dislike:
The graphics of holy paladins. I'm glad they finally made some of our graphics different. I'm glad that divine plea and divine illumination don't have the same graphic. I'm glad that they took the time to give each of our heals an effect so they don't look the same. If that's all we get I guess I can be happy with that, however I really hope they go further and actually make new graphics for our heals, and for Illuminated Healing!

Edit: I forgot, I also dislike ToR, especially with the new implementation of Light of Dawn. It seems like it's going to make us do funky stuff when raid healing.
Edited by Wasselin on 11/7/2010 8:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
What I miss:
100% beacon. It was so awesome! the first day it was implemented in 3.0 in TBC I fell in love w/ it! I mean in 10 mans i could not heal both tanks with no problem! now, i miss it for H dreamwalker! i could easily keep up the tank and put 100% heals on dreamwalker as well!

What I like:
that we just have more spells to use... no more 1-2 heals spammed per fight but now i find myself clicking like 5-6 heals on any given boss fight.

What I dislike:
I dislike not having any hot anymore.. in the current state of icc even on herioc bosses there is barly any tank healing to be dune and if there is any it is taking from absorbs by the disc priest or a druids hot. idk but it really seams like they could go without me when im just doing 90% overhealing because the other clases faster heals got there ahead of me almost every time.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Is that all Elode.. ?

=.=
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

i remember when i tried doing this once after the patch, it didnt work :(
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

Is that all Elode.. ?

=.=

Yes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What I miss
-Old Divine Plea
-Old Beacon of Light

What I Like
-High movility
-Having to think before healing
-Big sets of tools we have now
-PvPing as a holy paladin is freaking awesome

What I don't like
-Running out of mana quite fast.
-Current WotLK raids being too healing intesive --> Not fitting to our new model
-Other healers being too OP compared to me in a PvE enviroment
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I miss
Sacred Shield. Also kinda having 87 different buffs (I'm sure I'm the only one).

I like
Holy Power & Word of Glory. They are fun mechanics.

I dislike
Our Mastery. It just feels messy. (Then again, I dislike most masteries. I'm still not entirely sure why).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What I Miss
  • Illumination
  • Sacred Shield
  • Divine Plea

What I Like
  • Word of Glory
  • Holy Shock
  • Illuminated Healing

What I Dislike
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Light of Dawn
  • Haste requirements
Edited by Khaìne on 11/8/2010 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I Like:
... the LOD that we will get soon.
I Dislike:
The loss of sacred shield eats at me every time i cast beacon on something and think about how boring it is and how enjoyable handling sacred shield and the fol hot during downtime was.
Most of all i HATE that every spell we actually use is a fast cast or instant direct heal.... their mechanics are all the same and they all heal for similar amounts. There is zero depth and i could face mash a key that randomly cast HS, WoG and FoL and my healing style and effectiveness would not change significantly.

Edit: my race is in spanish?
Edited by Thilior on 11/8/2010 7:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The loss of sacred shield eats at me every time i cast beacon on something and think about how boring it is and how enjoyable handling sacred shield and the fol hot during downtime was.

Heh.. Wait till we get beacon on the 5 min duration. Spose you might miss SS a lot more after that. Yeah i miss having that one little Hot we had to watch on our raid frames. I remember reading somewhere that we might get a hot from Hs like we had on T8 i think it was. Where'd that go ?

What I Miss
Illumination

This too. Though in its old form it would have been one of the most Op healing utilities if it slipped through with the Cata healing model.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

I remember reading somewhere that we might get a hot from Hs like we had on T8 i think it was. Where'd that go?

Got put onto Wog and made into a glyph. Reduces the upfront of WoG by 50%, and it heals for 50% over 6 secs. 90% of the time it'll be counter-productive.

On topic:

What I miss, A lot of people have mentioned Sacred Shield, but I think it goes a bit beyond the sole ability. The fundamental mechanic of having a proactive heal is now gone. I feel like a dolt in pvp when I am forced to twiddle my thumbs until someone takes damage instead of pre-buffing. Honestly, sacred shield in wrath was not that bad unless talented into Divine Guardian - I see no reason why it had to go. Regardless, any kind of proactive healing at all would be very welcome.

What I like, Some effort being made to create a more well-rounded healer in pve and pvp. Strong aoes (that still need some tuning) have created a less uni-dimensional pve healer, and some offensive pressure (that still needs more accessibility to become prevalent) kinda makes up for our loss of group defense.

What I dislike, The wide swings that we've undergone during the process. One or two OP abilities or talents have dominated the last few weeks. The disparities when healing our self vs. healing someone else, the massive delta between our effectiveness inside vs. outside a cc. Basically my convoluted point is that I feel we too wildly around from one extreme to another - ultimately causing a balance nightmare.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Reply Quote
What I miss:

The Judgement debuffs. Right now I'm just judging because of the haste buff, but before I'd be judging to apply a debuff and be gaining haste as part of the deal.

What I like:

Having a pretty decent toolkit and able to make choices beyond "is hp < full? big heal!"

What I dislike

I dislike that the haste buff is the only reason I'm judging, and that it splits my focus from watching a buff and making sure it's up and making decisions about healing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I dislike that the haste buff is the only reason I'm judging, and that it splits my focus from watching a buff and making sure it's up and making decisions about healing.

Judging returns 15% base mana too (not implemented on live yet).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What I miss
Nothing. Wrath healing was terrible design in every respect.

Ok, I miss saving repair bills thanks to DI.

What I dislike
The current Mastery is disappointing from a PvE perspective. The Shield doesn't persist long enough to be useful on anyone except a tank unless there is a raid damage aura (which supposedly we won't be seeing much in Cataclysm to boot). It doesn't stack as well, so even when you're chain-casting on a tank you're wasting a lot of the value. I would have much rather have seen Illumination as a mastery, it feels kind of bad to lose our really iconic healing talent and would have made a great Mastery.

Like Fridays said above, I also dislike that everything we do is back to being reactive. The loss of Sacred Shield means we once again have no way to mitigate before actual damage is done. When compared to some of the other classes (Priests and Druids in particular) this lack of healing flexibility can be a major detriment.

What I love
Pretty much everything else. The Holy Power system and Eternal Glory/Daybreak proc game adds a really unique and fun dimension to healing on a pally. It does have a lot steeper of a learning curve, but with a few more minor tweaks I think it could end up being the most fun healing system in the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]