Spriest Mana

I've recently been lvling up a new priest. I got him to lvl 29 and switched from disc to shadow, and I just have to say the mana cost of spells is rediculous. The main problem is that just casting the 2 dots costs 20 to 30% of my mana pool, and unlike as disc I dont regen mana while casting.

Another problem is that it takes 2 mind flays to do damage equal to penance which makes it cost more mana.

I have to drink every two pulls (and that is with wanding after putting up 2 dots while maintaining pw:s), currently it is more effective to disreguard shadowform and just spam holy fire when it comes off cooldown and smite.

not to mention mind blast doesn't seem to do enough damage for its mana cost, it does just a bit more than smite but it costs quite a bit more mana and has a cooldown.

Is there any way to reduce the mana cost of spells such as mind blast, shadow word: pain, and Devouring Plague at low lvls?
Reply Quote
thanks, im just going to go disc till i can get masochist and glyph of spirit tap at lvl 43.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You're level 29...you should really hold off on making balance posts until 80 at least. Also try a warlock if you think their mana costs are high. Warlocks have the least efficient spells in the game.

Since most of the changes in the upcoming patch are about low level balance, I am pretty certain Blizzard also cares about low level balance. Priests have to drink way too much while leveling. It blows. It certainly isn't a fun experience in any way.
I have a lock I am leveling. In comparison, it is one of the easiest classes I have ever leveled. You don't oom as quickly as a priest does (as far as I have found anyway), and you have Lifetap, and a myriad of ways to self heal. Soulstones and Drain Life make time between pulls minimal at worst.

To the OP, I would definitely go Discipline, as you stated you are going to do.
Edited by Brianjosel on 11/7/2010 6:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
You're level 29...you should really hold off on making balance posts until 80 at least. Also try a warlock if you think their mana costs are high. Warlocks have the least efficient spells in the game.

Warlocks have infinite mana. Their spells could cost their entire mana bar and it wouldn't matter because they can get it back quickly. Warlock's have a never ending mana supply. Their 'costs' don't matter.
Reply Quote

it was easier lvling my destro lock than this priest. and its not exactly a balance issue its a qol issue.

I thought that since they were working on low lvl damage they could also work on low lvl mechanics and costs.
Edited by Redfang on 11/7/2010 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't even use SW:P or DP. You can barely use them on sub 50 boss fights even because the thing will be dead before they're done ticking, not worth the mana costs at all. It's rather silly getting them at such low levels since those spells are basically end game only in use.
Leveling shadow really doesn't seem to have changed much post 4.0. You still basically use MB and Mindflay and then wand at the end so your outside of the 5 second rule by the time you get spirit tap. I always found the most annoying part about spirit tap was the 7 to 8 second wait between getting into position for your next mob and getting the full use out of OOC spirit tap.
Back when I did it, and maybe it doesn't work anymore but I don't see why it would have changed much: PW:S, MB, MF, MF, wand for 6 seconds, move to new target, wait 8 seconds for SpT to finish, repeat. It's boring and not as quick as if you just drink every 10 or so kills, but eh.

edit: But yeah, I agree with your notion. low level spriest could use some qol work.
Edited by Dyse on 11/7/2010 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
The easiest thing I found to do to keep my mana going at all times was to make sure and only really cast my cheap spells. In most cases it was easier to just renew or heal myself real quick after a pull then it was to go all out to kill it quickly.

Note I still had mana issues until about 60 I want to say. Just something about the lower levels that makes it really difficult. Then again that was before spirit gave mp5 and before int gave spell power, so it might even be easier now.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
I apologize for my previous post in this thread. I had not realized that spirit tap was removed at lower levels and after actually playing a 40's spriest on live, I agree with the OP that the mana situation is pretty horrid.

Huh... and now I just learned about the spirit tap glyph too lol. I feel like ST glyph should be baseline, players new to the class or game that want to level shadow might not even look for something like that, I know I sure didn't and now I wish I had looked earlier (I'm even an scribe on that toon o.o). ST is the kind of ability that is perfect because it's only applicable in situations where it makes sense and is devoid of use for the most part outside of leveling.

Disc still works well as leveling, not worth taking as DPS to a dungeon though, even at the low levels. I'm not sure how the numbers tweaking that's going to happen with cata or 4.0a or w/e will effect all this, but it would be nice if spriests got some low level mana love.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]