Wants to Absorb. All the times.

85 Dwarf Shaman
Anyone else think it would be fun and unique to move Disc towards mainly absorbs and less healing? It sounds pretty cool to have an arsenal of various shields, each good in certain situations - some with cast times, some instant like PW:S. Perhaps one would only absorb magical damage and another for physical, etc. Maybe one of these shields could also be cast on enemy targets to reduce their damage output for a short time. Divine Aegis could be reversed so that targets are healed for 30% of the absorb amount ;). Maybe a talent that while active converts damage absorbed into health gained for targets affected by your shields (while they hold) - alternatively, a cooldown that when used consumes all shields on a target (or all targets?), converting remaining absorb amount to healing.

I seriously doubt it will ever happen, but I think it sounds like a lot of fun, would be unique, and would definitely allow the devs more freedom when balancing Holy and Disc, as the spell overlap wouldn't be quite as severe as it is today.
Edited by Kurenar on 11/8/2010 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Would be interesting if Disc got a CD similar to the Val'anyr proc, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. >.>

I always liked disc as a mainly absorb spec, but it.. goes against the player-not-class theory they're going for. Absorbs can be -too- good very easily.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
I actually have always visioned Disc to be that way. I really liked Disc at one point because it felt like that and it really felt unique. But as Kyrisa stated, it would be vastly OP and very difficult to balance. We're talking...We'd need like 13891203891263 debuffs to track the absorbs and make sure we don't stack 1K Disc priests :p
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
In my opinion, it doesn't work (or would be disproportionately difficult to balance) on principle because absorbs can only be neutral or negative. That is to say that absorptions are either preventing all damage taken, or preventing some damage taken, and don't restore health if you were a little late to respond, or just don't have enough absorption.

If they balance Discipline Priests around being able to successfully double-heal a 10-man, for example, with enough absorption to do the heavy lifting and enough minor healing to do clean-up work, then things have a lot of potential to get out of whack when you combine those absorptions with a healer that does 100% of their work through actual healing.

This is part of why Shield plays the same role as Renew/Rejuvenation, because otherwise it risks being the only button worth pressing, and because damage-that-never-happened can trivialize encounter mechanics when it reaches critical mass. =O
Edited by Believe on 11/8/2010 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Problem with giving disc nothing but shields is two fold.

One, as soon as someone takes damage, the priest is incapable of giving the health back. If they can't actually heal, all they're doing is delaying the inevitable, or their shields need to be powerful enough to absorb all conceivable damage, making them overpowered in that your healing comp would only demand enough disc priests to stop incoming damage, and one other healer in order to actually heal anyone who fell through the cracks (stood in fire). Because of this, boss damage would need to be increased because everything would be balanced assuming you had a disc priest on your tank all the time, causing your tank to, at minimum, double their health pool, which would then make disc priests mandatory. Similarly, raid damage would be bumped up following that same assumption, which would then force you into the comp mentioned above.

Two, if the priest still maintains the ability to heal normally, they become overpowered, even if their heal coefficients are terrible, because they already have shields capable of handling everything, and would further imbalance things by removing the need for any other healer entirely.

tl;dr shields are for flavor. Healing is still what's being served.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If disc isn't about absorbs then why do priest need to have two healing trees.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I wish there was an easy solution to making disc stackable without the damage prevention shields becoming seriously overpowered, but I don't think there is (without making the bubbles incredibly weak as they were in BC).
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I wonder how many responders actually read your post (or how much you might have edited it prior to my reading it).

I like the idea of creating bubbles that provide different benefits. Obviously in WoW we're familiar with the bubble shielding characters from taking further damage.

We're not familiar with the idea of a bubble reducing a character's outgoing damage while giving the bubbled character some other benefit (reducing threat, for instance, or increasing their regeneration, until they've dealt a predetermined amount of damage).

Perhaps a type of bubble that would slightly slow the attack or spellcasting rate of aggroed NPCs within 10 yards, or a bubble that would slightly lower the resists or defensive stats of whatever the bubbled character was damaging. Maybe a bubble that would increase mana/energy/rage/runepower/focus/WHATEVER regeneration for 10 seconds, or even a 5 or 10 second bubble that might increase the character's haste or crit or highest stat.

Any of those things, without absorbing damage taken, would be a bubble that doesn't make increasing other characters' health pointless.

I'm a fan of buffing and debuffing without personally doing damage in an encounter. I'm not really sure why.

Bubbles don't have to be about absorbing damage. They can do whatever we think up, and the Developers think are in keeping with the game. It wouldn't even have to be a Disc Priest, it could be a new class entirely.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Bubbles don't have to be about absorbing damage.

Well, no, they don't.

But at that point you're advocating buffs/debuffs that just happen to put circular art around the target. =P
Edited by Believe on 11/13/2010 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Well, no, they don't.

But at that point you're just advocating buffs/debuffs that happen to put circular art around the target. =P

We turn into walking totems?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
All of icc Disc priests were all absorbs and hardly any healing. The notion of pure Absorbing with the Cataclysm healing model dosent work well. The entire raid isn't supposed to be topped off 100% of the time, and if they're not at 100%, they die. Having said that, this weakens the want for absorbs.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Well, no, they don't.

But at that point you're just advocating buffs/debuffs that happen to put circular art around the target. =P

Pretty much. :) As it is now, I put golden sparkles all over my targets. Circular art is prettier. XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]