What should I do between Mutilates ?

65 Human Rogue
I'm learning the ropes of roguing right now.

My tactic for DPS is to try to get to five combo points, Slice and Dice, five combo points, eviscerate, five combo points, envenom...and repeat.

However, really silly question, there is often a little downtime between Mutilates and Backstabs. Is there something I should do during that time ?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Uhhhhh... Derp.

Just Mutilate. No backstabs (unless raiding, which you arent) and do not evisc as a Muti rogue. Don't worry about SnD for leveling. Just Mut to 4+ CP and Envenom
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
I'm learning the ropes of roguing right now.

My tactic for DPS is to try to get to five combo points, Slice and Dice, five combo points, eviscerate, five combo points, envenom...and repeat.

However, really silly question, there is often a little downtime between Mutilates and Backstabs. Is there something I should do during that time ?

You have one combo point builder for any given build. For Mutilate specs it's, unsurprisingly, Mutilate. For Combat, it's Sinister Strike. For Sub, depending on weapons/build/environment, it's either Backstab or Hemorrhage. You use your Builder until you have enough points for a Finisher. Then you use a Finisher. Then you repeat.

In between builders... you wait for energy to regen and watch your autoattacks make lots of numbers appear on the screen.

(At higher levels as assassination, you can replace Mutilate with Backstab in execute range (sub 35%) but it's a straight swap, and you don't have the talents for it yet - and I don't recommend them for leveling anyway.)
Reply Quote
80 Human Rogue
nothing much to do in your levels but watch your auto attack, lol. but in raiding environment, i usually spam "feint (w/ glyph)" in between mutilates to keep my threat to a minimum.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Stare at your pretty little yellow bar untill you can mutilate again.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Also if you're rolling Mut for DPS, you shouldn't be building up to 5 combo points for Slice n' Dice. You should open with Garrote from stealth, use that one point to SnD and hit 5 CP and hit Envn. With "Cut to the Chase" this should refresh your SnD to its full duration.
Edited by Baelkash on 11/6/2010 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Also if you're rolling Mut for DPS, you shouldn't be building up to 5 combo points for Slice n' Dice. You should open with Garrote from stealth, use that one point to SnD and hit 5 CP and hit Evis. With "Cut to the Chase" this should refresh your SnD to its full duration.

This is true, except replace 5 combo points with 4+, use rupture as your second finisher (after SnD) and replace 'Eviscerate' with 'Envenom'

There is an assassination guide on these forums for 4.01, it's pretty solid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
While lvling, i never realy worryed about slice and dice for questing, 2 mutilates will generaly almost kill a mob, and then a quick evenom will finish it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Also if you're rolling Mut for DPS, you shouldn't be building up to 5 combo points for Slice n' Dice. You should open with Garrote from stealth, use that one point to SnD and hit 5 CP and hit Evis. With "Cut to the Chase" this should refresh your SnD to its full duration.

This is true, except replace 5 combo points with 4+, use rupture as your second finisher (after SnD) and replace 'Eviscerate' with 'Envenom'

There is an assassination guide on these forums for 4.01, it's pretty solid.

Just realized I said, "Evis". Brain slipped when I typed it. Of course it's Envenom if you're using the correct build. Although usually when I roll Assassination I Envenom then Rupture after the initial Envenom.

But I admit I'm just getting back into Assassination after they broke my beloved Combat.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Playing a rogue is a matter of waiting for the right moment to do things. The class mechanics call for waiting for your energy to recharge and for you to execute on it.

You should practice the ways of energy pooling. Try to time things so you have no less than 15 energy, or even go up to 35 for an envenom immediately after you mutilate.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Druid
ninja
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Way to necro the living !@#$ out of a 2 year old thread.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
(At higher levels as assassination, you can replace Mutilate with Backstab in execute range (sub 35%) but it's a straight swap, and you don't have the talents for it yet - and I don't recommend them for leveling anyway.)

I think me means swap with dispatch

whoops, I didn't realize this was a necro thread, he probably did mean backstab back in the dayl
Edited by Slyck on 11/14/2012 7:05 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]