Some #s and a question about holy healing

85 Blood Elf Paladin
So I've been told by my guild that the way I should be healing is to pretty much spam FoL, with WoG and HS thrown in as needed. But the problem that I'm finding is there is no reasonable way to keep my mana up through the whole fight using this method, especially if most of it is overhealing. Besides the actual running oom during the raid, I ran a very simple equation to see that it really isn't mana efficient.

FoL costs 1186 mana to cast. And assuming haste brings the cast time down by a bit, spamming this will have you cast this 4 times every 5-6 seconds, meaning it uses 4744 every 5 second period approximately. My combat regen buffed but not including mana from judging or CDs, is 642 every 5 seconds, meaning using this method of healing, I'd be spending about 4100 mana every 5 seconds. (rounded.) At a mana pool of about 34K, (i know... i know... I'm working on it...) I should be going oom without judging or mana CDs in about 41 seconds.

now of course, I judge, and I use mana CDs, so this time is a bit longer, but I still end up going oom at the end of the fight if I want to keep my heals up.

Anyway, I've been told that with more int it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't see how. Assuming someone with 40K mana has about the same regen, (I asked the holy pally that was helping me, he has about the same. Right now part of the difference in mana pools is from lack of gems/chants, and the fact that some of my stuff is still mail, so I'm missing out on the 5% int, but that doesn't affect regen) that would only give then another 2 and a half cycles of using this before going oom as well. What's stumping me is that my holy pally friend isn't going oom as much as I am even though we're doing the same thing.

Now in a non guild run, I was healing on LK for some 10 man for a friend. I found it far more efficient to use something like this:

HS> HL if I get an infusion proc/ FoL if I don't> HS with daybreak from HL, so that I can do a second if the 1st doesn't get an infusion proc> repeating with WoG in when its at 3 HP.

My reasoning is that with infusion of light, HL casts just as fast as FoL, but, I regen 3 times the amount it costs to cast every 5 seconds, meaning its a relatively even exchange of mana spent vs mana regened, especially taking into account judgment, and I'm still keeping the tank very much alive.

anyway, just wanted some help with this. My friend tells me its all better with a bigger mana pool, but like I stated before, it doesn't seem like this would help for more than 12 and a half seconds more.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For the most part, I've been using HL all the time, and shock almost every single cooldown. When I get need to heal fast, then FoL. When I get full Holy Power, then I WoG.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
That's what I was thinking, but I'm being told

1. That FoL is our "go to heal now"

And

2. Always be casting. Even if tank is taking little to no damage.

This combination is killing my mana.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
That's what I was thinking, but I'm being told

1. That FoL is our "go to heal now"

And

2. Always be casting. Even if tank is taking little to no damage.

This combination is killing my mana.

Maybe on HLK...

HL is our go to heal, it has been described that way since the beta dropped. Healing was given such a re-model in cata that it's quite difficult to grasp it in a wotlk environment.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So right now you can spam Flash of light on pretty much every fight except for Lich King and with proper CD usage you shouldn't go out of mana before the fight is over. However this is not how blizzard has intended for paladins to be played, and is only going to work until Cataclysm is released. You should be using Divine plea pretty much on CD along side other abilities to negate the negative effect. It would be wise, especially if you are having mana issues to carry potions on you and make a habit of using them. If you have a Solace or meteorite crystal use them, don't underestimate them.

In Cataclysm you will be using Holy Light, Holy Shock, and Word of Glory as your main spells while Flash of Light and Divine light will be used, but used rarely.

you should always be casting, especially with our mastery, just do it smart. If a tank is not taking damage just spam Holy Light on him (little mana usage) which will catch damage faster when it happens, put shields on your targets, and not kill your mana pool.

tldr ... If you want to top meters prior to Cata you can't play holy as is intended by Blizzard.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]