Well, with the recent removal of ranked spells from the game, I decided to do something similar.
I'm going to try to level this character all the way to the end (85, because I know I won't reach 80 by the time Cataclysm comes out) by killing monsters without looting them. No quests, no looting, no dungeons, no parties.
And since I never loot and never quest, I'll never have any money. Which means NO GEAR. And NO. CLASS. TRAINERS.
You heard me. My only abilities for the whole run are going to be the Fireball spell I started with at level 1, and whatever spells I pick up through talent points (I've gotten Pyroblast so far, and will get Blast Wave at level 29).
Dying is okay, but gear, training, glyphs, bandages, food and drinks -- anything that would require money or trading or questing -- is OUT.
I chose a mage to do this, specifically, because mages have always had the highest NAKED dps -- when comparing DPSers with no gear on, mages consistently do the most damage.
So far, I've discovered that my health recovery rate is ABYSSMALLY slow after level 20, much slower than my mana recovery rate. I've taken to killing creatures just a level or two above gray, so that my mana recovery rate will be the rate-limiting factor (instead of my health recovery rate).
I don't know if I'll succeed at this -- like the guy who managed to level a hunter to level 70 entirely by killing boars, or Gutrot, a warrior who levelled all the way to 80 by punching things in a loincloth -- but I'd sure like to try!
EDIT: Just to clarify:
THE GROUND RULES ARE:
1. No looting. Ever. No corpses, not even a treasure chest or object on the ground, nothin'.
2. No quests. Ever. If the game forces a quest into my log without my permission, I abandon it. (Note that at level 77, your "quests completed" statistic automatically gets bumped up by 1 no matter what you do to prevent it.)
3. No grouping with other players into a party or raid. Or battleground. Or any other kinds of groups in the game.
4. No trading with other players, or receiving anything in the mail from other players.
5. No mailing myself anything from any of my alts.
AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE ABOVE GROUND RULES:
* I will never ever have any money.
* I will never ever have any gear other than the gear that I started the game with.
* I will never ever have any glyphs.
* Since I will never have any money, I will never be able to pay a trainer (class trainer, profession trainer, or Riding skill trainer).
* Since I will never pay a trainer, I will never learn any spells other than the Fireball spell I started the game with, and any spells I pick up as a result of choosing my Talents.
And to keep it somewhat interesting, I also won't join a guild.
At level 60, I made a short video of my typical "adventures." It's here:
At level 78, I made another such video:
EDIT YET AGAIN:
Now that this thread is locked, I've made a continuation thread here: