A quick question about mastery..

85 Goblin Mage
And how it pertains to PvP.
People keep saying that stacking full mastery is a good way to go, getting rid of haste and crit, but I'm wondering if this is in PvE, or PvP, or both.
Keep in mind I'm a Arcane Mage.
Edited by Ordoo on 11/8/2010 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Personally, except for possibly the case of fire mages, I think haste is probably the top stat for pvp and will be for a long time. The ability to cast something before your opponent does has huge tactical/strategic value.

But this is just my personal opinion.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Mage
Oddly enough, Mastery is actually desirable for all three specs...in PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Mastery's garbage for fire pvp
Reply Quote
80 Undead Mage

We talking at 80 or at 85? Haste isn't that great from what I've seen for fire since there's no dispel protection you're never seeing the extra DoT ticks (and you have low rating anyway). I'd still say crit is the most important stat for a fire mage in PvP, but I'd put mastery below that and haste below that.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

And Frost imo u.u
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
We talking at 80 or at 85? Haste isn't that great from what I've seen for fire since there's no dispel protection you're never seeing the extra DoT ticks (and you have low rating anyway). I'd still say crit is the most important stat for a fire mage in PvP, but I'd put mastery below that and haste below that.

Aye, and for Arcane I'd say Haste > Crit > Mastery. Maybe Haste > Mastery > Crit. No idea. But definitely Haste first for arcane.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Master is great for frost because most of your damage comes from sources tat mastery affects.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
I'm finding haste more useful for frost PVP on beta, once you can't blow somebody up in a deep freeze and actually have to cast frostbolt haste becomes more valuable.
Reply Quote
73 Dwarf Death Knight

Mostly the problems with Fire in PvP is because it is a DOT-centered spec. That, plus the fact that with the LB issues, there is no dispel protection for the DOTs, a well played Priest or Pally is going to remove all your DOTs with no penalty. It really has nothing to do with Mastery. Fire in PvP can be fun, but when you run up against someone who knows what they are doing, you're going to have a tougher time of it. From what I've heard, Frost is still the spec to bring into PvP.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Sorry. This is Ukra's mage. Wrong toon selected for posting.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage

I pvp fire, mastery is absolute %!!! for fire pvp. Crit is way more desirable.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Mage
Actually, Arcane's stat priorities for PvE are turning out to be
Haste ~>= Mastery > Crit

At above 20% haste self buffed this changes to
Mastery ~>= Haste > Crit

The complexity is coming from the changing stat values for Arcane's two phases. The "Burn" phase stat preferences are different from the "Conserve" phase (burn favors haste more then mastery, conserve is the other way round, at least over 20% haste).

So to calculate overall stat priorities, you will have to consider the lengths of these phases, which, in turn, are dictated by fight specific mechanics.

Overall though, Mastery and Haste are very close, Crit is left behind though :P

All three are inferior to Spell power (the raw stat), with Int taking the cake from them all.

As far as PvP goes, there really isn't a straightforward metric we can apply to figure out "the best stat".
Haste looks like a good option, since it influences a lot of other things which are at a premium in PvP (e.g. casting speed of Polymorph, GCD, etc). It can be argued that mastery won't be as useful since Arcane mages in PvE (or more specifically, Arenas) may not find themselves that much opportunity for continuous, sustained damage (which may not be the case in Battlegrounds).

Now, this is not to say that stacking mastery is 'bad' at 80. Things are just very different at 80 since you already have tons of haste, and things die just way to quickly. This will not be the case at 85, where your entry level PvP gear will not have much haste at all.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Mage

I pvp fire, mastery is absolute %!!! for fire pvp. Crit is way more desirable.

Crit is, but it goes crit-->mastery-->haste, which is what I said.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]