Screen freezes after gaining a level

80 Gnome Mage
I've been leveling some alts recently and I've noticed something a little inconvenient. Every time I gain a level, the screen freezes. I'm guessing this has something to do with the new message that appears on the screen informing you of your level gain and the new abilities available. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I didn't see any other current threads on the topic.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Are you running any addons, by chance? I haven't heard of this issue before and am inclined to believe that there's some odd conflict with your setup.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Define screen freezes.. Does your system lock up? Is it temporary?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Katow,

How long does the screen freeze for? It's possible you're getting a LUA error that is being quashed by the game, but it could be other things, too.

Lets reset the game to default settings and then test out the game.

With the game closed please try moving or deleting your WTF, CACHE, and INTERFACE folders out of your World of Warcraft directory. These are temporary cache files that will be recreated by the game the next time you launch. Moving them to the desktop makes it easy to replace them if necessary.

Please also note these folders contain your saved UI addons. If you're using Windows Vista, please remove those folders from the following location as well if it exists:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
Yes, I'm running TitanPanel, Recount, AtlastLoot, Omen, and XPerl.

When it freezes, WoW is the only thing that locks up and it's usually for about 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Yes, I'm running TitanPanel, Recount, AtlastLoot, Omen, and XPerl.

When it freezes, WoW is the only thing that locks up and it's usually for about 30 seconds.

Sounds like it's what Brian was addressing then. Try disabling the addons (or remove the folders he stated; both would accomplish near the same thing) and see if that alleviates the situation.

If you don't have issues after the addons are out of the question, we'll know what it was. Updating them will more likely than not fix the problem then.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
After removing the folders, I gained a level on a lower level alt and it didn't freeze up. It worked! :)
Would updating my addons also fix the situation? I'd like to continue using them if possible.
Edited by Katow on 11/5/2010 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
There are a few addons that do things like take a screenshot when you level... or otherwise try to record the event.
The next time you are close to leveling, remove ALL of your addons, and see if you still freeze/hang.
Easiest way to do that:
  • Exit WoW completely
  • Rename the "Interface" folder to "Interface-old" (in your main "World of Warcraft" folder)
  • Run WoW directly, or via the Blizzard launcher (and NOT via any other launcher)
  • Test

Edited by Duman on 11/5/2010 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
After removing the folders, I gained a level on a lower level alt and it didn't freeze up. It worked! :)
Would updating my addons also fix the situation? I'd like to continue using them if possible.

It would more than likely work. Most addon developers are pretty good at squashing bugs like that one quickly.

At best, the addons work and you don't have a problem. At worst, one of them continues to conflict while the others still work.

Enjoy the game and may the leveling experience be smooth!
Edited by Kodiack on 11/5/2010 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
Thanks for your help everyone! :D
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
You're welcome!

Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions or problems, and enjoy leveling up some more!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]