Which files can I delete?

(I posted this on the "old" forums just now, wanted to get this on here as well)

I'm in the process of cleaning out files from my mac to make more space and I was wondering which if any files I can safely get rid of from my Wow folder. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
probably easier to list what NOT to delete

Blizzard Downloader.app
Blizzard Updater.app
Data
Patch.html
Logs
World of Warcraft Launcher.app
World of Warcraft Repair.app
World of Warcraft.app
WoW.mfil <--This is safe to delete but don't delete for sake of space
WoW.tfil <--This is safe to delete but don't delete for sake of space
Cache <--This is safe to delete but don't delete for sake of space
Interface <--This is safe to delete but don't delete for sake of space
WTF <--This is safe to delete but don't delete for sake of space
Edited by Omegal on 11/7/2010 9:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warlock
based on an older forums thread (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5285242087&sid=1)

I renamed my cache folder located in the DATA folder (G:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data) and started the launcher.

A file a few hundred megabytes in size was downloaded (today 11/30/2010) and I was GTG

I'm not sure if the download was new patch data or old "cache" being restored.

The computer added a new "Cache" folder which was 2.2 gigs in size and i deleted the older one which was almost 10 gigs in size.

MORAL: it seems safe to delete the Cache folder located INSIDE the DATA folder.
Edited by Thrakozodian on 11/30/2010 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
@Thrakozodian

Yes thank you we know that :)

And erm this is the Mac Tech Support forums buddy. You want the other tech support forums :)
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Warlock
what happens if you delete one of the ones that were not supposed to delete?
Reply Quote
The cache folder is probably the only thing I delete, and it's usually after upgrading an addon or major WoW patch.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
You probably can run a repair from the Repair tool and get it back, or run the launcher. If you deleted World of Warcrfat.app, then the repair tool won't get it back, and you will need to get that file from another source, like a friend who has a Mac, or reinstall...
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Fri-Tue 1:45 pm - 10:45 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Small talk. Small talk... Flies. Peanuts. Dimes. Oh, and sweaters. They get muy, muy small in the wash.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
so it's safe to delete the cache folder? the one in the data folder, or the one in the main wow folder?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
so it's safe to delete the cache folder? the one in the data folder, or the one in the main wow folder?

Both!

Altough there's really no point. They'll get recreated as it's part of what the client needs to be written out.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Can I delete files called PTD714C36.TMP and PTD714C38.TMP from 2005 in Data?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
12/09/2011 10:11 PMPosted by Jonkichi
Can I delete files called PTD714C36.TMP and PTD714C38.TMP from 2005 in Data?

You know normally I'm all GRRRRR ARGGGGHHH to Necros. But it does seem to be a relevant question in the thread and the information's still valid so.......

Those files aren't used by the wow client. Are you on a Mac ?

Yes you should be able to safely delete them.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Yes, I'm on a Mac. Will delete. Thanks for answering a necro.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Can I delete everything Warcraft/Blizzard related and redownload it? I've been playing since 2007 and there has to be a lot of files I no longer need. I just don't want to delete and have to start the entire six year process over with new characters, achieves, gold, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]