The Sad state of Priests come Cataclysm.

basically I have been trying to formulate a huge wall of text to express how this feels, but basically I will try and give you guys a link for a high-level discussion about how priests are in cataclysm:

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=214833

in a overall text, I will make a small version of everything said in that thread:
priests have by far the worst mana regeneration in game, even shadow with dispersions and evangelisms and hymns are going oom very very quickly while the utility they give in both PvP and PvE schenario is by a huge distance worse than what any other class in the game gives.

Priest healers are at this moment unplayable, if you have beta and you play priest you will understand what I say, compared to other healers right now we go oom the faster, our healing output is weaker than any other healer in game, and our mana is very very poor while the only good side of the priest (which is the ability to be a DPSer in some cases rather than just a healer) is destroyed by the fact priests in beta have the worst surverability in game as well as worst mobility which makes going offensive even with the best of the peels, undoable.

this all is being said while playing arena with very high level players, I can assure you the path we are going into cataclysm, if nothing new is changed, is the darkest possible.

thank you for reading, lets now discuss this matter in the best way possible.
86 Undead Priest
it's beta for a reason
it's beta for a reason
Priests are the worst healers right now by a long shot, in PvP and PvE. We're in the last month for beta and priests have been terrible the whole time. Is this working as intended, because "it's beta"?
85 Human Priest
shadow priests are really good right now.

But I miss my old bubble :(
86 Undead Priest
it's beta for a reason
Priests are the worst healers right now by a long shot, in PvP and PvE. We're in the last month for beta and priests have been terrible the whole time. Is this working as intended, because "it's beta"?

lots of things can be done in a month, i would expect some changes. if blizzard ended up being happy with where priest are right now, then ya i would be scared, give it sometime. and see what if any other changes are coming, im certain there will be
80 Human Priest
we're going to be susceptible to cleave trains and mana games like we always have

we're going to shine in mega offensive CC comps, like PMR, like we always have

disc will basically be at the bottom of the rung for effective long term healing, like we always have, but we'll still have our place in 2.5 dps comps, and if nothing else, as long as we retain our spot there then that's okay

i'm playing shadow anyways
85 Human Priest
Something you need to ask yourself when your class isn't performing as well as another:
Is it because you're lacking something or is it that the other class is, in Blizzard's opinion, too good? GC made it pretty clear that it is more so the latter than it is the former, and I personally think it is a bit of both, leaning a little more toward the latter. I think it is safe to say that we'll still be seeing changes in the final weeks of beta and even after the launch. Keep in mind that the statement was "Priests are closest to what we want" rather than "Priests are where we want them to be"

For the time being I'd rather be concerned with leveling and 5 man heroic content. Also regarding the "priests are unplayable comment" based on all the other experiences I've read, I think you're exaggerating a little.

Edit - This is just my opinion on the PvE side of the topic by the way.
Edited by Nysem on 11/8/2010 2:08 PM PST
85 Night Elf Priest
In PvE, at least, devs have stated that they believe priests are about at the level of healing they want to see for all classes and that they intend to do some nerfing to get others in line with that.
85 Blood Elf Priest
If there are 4 people, 3 are given $100 and the 4th is given $10, then with a goal of overall fairness in mind: were the 3 given too much, or the 4th too little?
85 Human Priest
If there are 4 people, 3 are given $100 and the 4th is given $10, then with a goal of overall fairness in mind: were the 3 given too much, or the 4th too little?

How much money was needed?
85 Blood Elf Priest

The answer to that question is ALWAYS "more".
85 Human Priest

<3
85 Human Priest

liked
85 Night Elf Priest

>___>
Edited by Elethia on 11/8/2010 3:03 PM PST
87 Blood Elf Priest
Meh, I like my priest still. I dunno what's wrong with you guys. It's not *that* much harder, it's like it was in Vanilla, so...better. l2play, sheesh.
85 Troll Priest
Meh, I like my priest still. I dunno what's wrong with you guys. It's not *that* much harder, it's like it was in Vanilla, so...better. l2play, sheesh.

You do realize that they're talking about the beta and lv85. We are still doing pretty well at lv80, but apparently at lv85, things get real ugly. The question is, whether we (along with Shamans, I understand) are too weak at that level, or if paladins and druids are too powerful.
100 Undead Priest
TSP
There is cause for some hope.

All during TBC, Shadow priests were the doormats of the damage dealing world. At high PvE content levels they were desired only as a support class because their dps was poor. In PvP they were absolutely hopeless: they had no melee escape, they had no effective CC, they were in cloth armor, and their burst dps was poor. To say that Shadow priests during TBC were pathetic is to accurately state their situation (more for PvP than for PvE where everyone wanted mana batteries).

But ... the developers listened to the community and in WotLK they actually ended up giving to Shadow priests almost all the things they were asking for. They got melee escapes. They were given better mitigation tools, and they were blessed (if you could call it that) with bone chilling amounts of dps.

I think it is more than fair to say that Shadow priests in 3.3 were doing really, really well.

Holy priests are in a situation similar to that of Shadow priests. In WotLK we scaled poorly and became a less desirable PvE healing spec at high content levels. In PvP, Holy priests could be very effective raid healers (which gave them something to do in group PvP), but survivability was so poor that there was no place for them in Arena.

Discipline priests were better in PvP during WotLK, but for PvE at the end were valuable mainly as raid shield spammers.

I'm sure that the devs are aware of the issues that players of the priest class raise. It remains to be seen whether they have the interest and will to take steps to position healing priest as an attractive, competitive class in Cataclysm.
85 Human Priest
the thing the naysayers are liable to forget is that they have only fairly recently started raid testing which is the real test for pve healing and how regen mechanics are working at 85 content. they saw something they didn't like and proceeded to start attempting to nerf other healers down to holy priest regen quality. this extends even as far as disc with the changes to rapture/&c.
be patient, there's still a month left for them to tweak things before launch and then a week or two before the first people start raiding. if there's still cause for concern then, we will have to really make our voices heard but i don't think the direction should be a priest buff, but an "everyone else" nerf. as the devs have clearly stated, holy priests are the model by which they want to try to base every other healing class' regen. let's wait and see if they can get them to that level.

edit: my current main is a druid who is offspec resto and i know i will be paying a great deal of attention to resto druid regen as the current model is absurd and is even easier on mana than pre 4.0. it's way too easy and i prefer a more difficult game than an easier one.
Edited by Grammykins on 11/8/2010 8:15 PM PST
Oddly I remember this situation for all other classes at different times of the WoW period. At a certain point sometimes as late as patch x.1 or x.2 the scaling tended to equal and taper off. Those that didn't got a really hard nerf or buff.

Sample case in points:

Druids: Anyone who came from classic remembers the giant FAIL that druids got in comparison to their competing role classes. That changed dramatically in BC and they continue to get buffed or nerfed depending on the ideal of the devs.

Warlocks: These guys in classic used to have one of the largest "pls buff" requests of any class. ATM I'm getting some shadow pet envy.

Paladins: While they have it good now (pre-patch) all throughout classic they were laughable. I still find it ironic that a class I hated so much in classic has come back to be such a powerhouse.

Those are some examples. Also, blizz has stated time and time again that the Priest Class is where they want the other classes to be. So they should be getting huge nerfs to compensate. Or likely, a compromise situation in which the current powerhouses will receive a nerf and the priest class to get minor buffs, likely in the scaling department.

To QQ so hard now when cata hasn't even dropped is simply a sign of impatience. IF priests still dont scale well or if we don't perform on par with everyone else after cata drops, then there is a reason to QQ. Have faith. You've played WoW for this long. You wouldn't have if the devs sucked balls and made HUGE fundamental mistakes like not balancing each role.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]