The Sad state of Priests come Cataclysm.

73 Night Elf Hunter
My main is a holy priest, and things are pretty tough right now on live. I have downed all but hardmode Lich King and that encounter on Lich King is our current focus. Using 5 healers, we have 2 disc priests, a resto druid, a holy pally and my holy priest (when I get in).

I always got in before for years. I always earned it. I was in on every first time kill but one for in excess of 5 years. But now, on the meters with all the shields and hots, it just looks like I am not pulling my weight. So for the first time in all the time in all these years, most nights on this prime achievement, I have to sit out, because of the meters people say do not matter.

They say this will be corrected. But so far, just talk. Maybe after being in on all those first time kills, after showing up every night for years, after so much dedication, I just turned into a bad player magically with the last patch.

85 Goblin Priest
I am in kinda the same boat as some of you have said. I have been in top guild for years now and I just look like a really bad player right now and for lack of better words I'm pissed about it. My guild for some reason still runs 6 heals just because are dps is good for the most part and we have alot of healers. Anyways druids just walk all over me but we are running like 3 of them its a joke. I cant even really get any heals in and we have two disc priest so hots and bubbles all over and I cant really heal but can top the over healing charts fun fun. It really sucks that it seem this is the deal in cata to I'm not changing classes so I may just quit if this keeps up its like blizz just wants the priest to die or something don't understand it.
85 Goblin Priest
It's my impression from reading blogs, articles, blizzcon, etc that Druids and Pallys are actually too good at the moment. The concern i have is the currently mana regen model of any spec of priest. I wonder if its too challenging. There are several guildies that are currently wondering, do they want to priest any more.

They want to be viable, not struggling. that's just not fun to play.

I personally love my priest too much to change, and I have hope of some tweaks, minor ones to either the high mana regen classes, or the struggling ones. Bring us all on par.
90 Undead Priest
If there are 4 people, 3 are given $100 and the 4th is given $10, then with a goal of overall fairness in mind: were the 3 given too much, or the 4th too little?

It's more like $105, $100, $80, $80, $75. And the intent was $80. I used 5 numbers because there are 5 healing specs.
100 Undead Priest
TSP

To QQ so hard now when cata hasn't even dropped is simply a sign of impatience. IF priests still dont scale well or if we don't perform on par with everyone else after cata drops, then there is a reason to QQ. Have faith. You've played WoW for this long. You wouldn't have if the devs sucked balls and made HUGE fundamental mistakes like not balancing each role.

This is a sound and reasonable comment to make.

I guess my issue is that, since I did not play during vanilla, I cannot remember a time when Holy priests were really good at anything or a time when Holy priests were sought ought for any particular reason.

We've always been poor at PvP and all throughout TBC and the later patches of WotLK we were eclipsed by other healing classes that scaled better and could rule the meters better.

For me, Cataclysm represents an opportunity for Holy to reclaim or redeem itself as an attractive, competitive class that players will actually want to roll. The anxieties I feel about Holy priest arise from concerns about the class missing the boat ... yet again. The suggestion that Holy is "a versatile healer" with the largest box of tools to use does not resonate when all the other classes are far more versatile now than they've ever been and have expanded tool sets that enable them to do just as much. The history of Holy priest has been that it is the class that does less with more.

I think Holy can be fixed for PvE. I have grave doubts that Holy will be viable for PvP -- in fact I feel very uncomfortable that the changes to talents and abilities in the new environment stand to make Holy even less suited for PvP than it was during WotLK.

If people can heal just as well or better playing a class other than Holy, but still can be competitive in Arena and group PvP .... well .. then why would they ever choose to play a Holy priest?
85 Troll Priest
If people can heal just as well or better playing a class other than Holy, but still can be competitive in Arena and group PvP .... well .. then why would they ever choose to play a Holy priest?

I don't know if holy PvP will ever be viable. We've never done too terrible in huge raid group PvP, but when you get down to smaller groups, things turn sour pretty quickly. I can blend into a crowd in 20-40 people. I can't blend so well into groups of 3-10.
85 Undead Priest
"Priests are closest to what we want" rather than "Priests are where we want them to be"

I really don't see any reason for rejoicing there. From what I can see at this point there really isn't any reason to bring a healing Priest into the arena at all, and if everybody is going to be nerfed down to our level then the game just got a lot dumber. They might as well just make a post stating that they don't want healing in PVP.
Edited by Stethoscope on 11/9/2010 10:04 PM PST
100 Undead Priest
I love when people say "its beta for a reason" yeah and that reason is mainly advertising. Warlocks went an entire expansion spamming one button, ret paladins dominated an entire expansion w/ faceroll...sure they'll work it out it'll just take a few years.
Edited by Dizzlefoo on 11/9/2010 10:45 PM PST
89 Draenei Priest
I am scared, like most of you, however Blizzard realizes the problem and are working on balancing all the classes. Do not think that healing is going to be the worse healing class forever, just think about playing a war tank before cata... now that is something to QQ about before they finally balanced pally tanks.
85 Human Priest
I MISS MY OLD BUBBLE
85 Blood Elf Priest
Oddly I remember this situation for all other classes at different times of the WoW period. At a certain point sometimes as late as patch x.1 or x.2 the scaling tended to equal and taper off. Those that didn't got a really hard nerf or buff.
Sample case in points:

Druids: Anyone who came from classic remembers the giant FAIL that druids got in comparison to their competing role classes. That changed dramatically in BC and they continue to get buffed or nerfed depending on the ideal of the devs.

Warlocks: These guys in classic used to have one of the largest "pls buff" requests of any class. ATM I'm getting some shadow pet envy.

Paladins: While they have it good now (pre-patch) all throughout classic they were laughable. I still find it ironic that a class I hated so much in classic has come back to be such a powerhouse.

Those are some examples. Also, blizz has stated time and time again that the Priest Class is where they want the other classes to be. So they should be getting huge nerfs to compensate. Or likely, a compromise situation in which the current powerhouses will receive a nerf and the priest class to get minor buffs, likely in the scaling department.

To QQ so hard now when cata hasn't even dropped is simply a sign of impatience. IF priests still dont scale well or if we don't perform on par with everyone else after cata drops, then there is a reason to QQ. Have faith. You've played WoW for this long. You wouldn't have if the devs sucked balls and made HUGE fundamental mistakes like not balancing each role.

Actually, I QQ so hard now when cata hasn't even dropped as a sign of distrust, not impatience. I would call it paranoia, but the devs have given us sufficient reason time and again not to trust them at all when it comes to class balance, your own post has given sufficient proof of that. I personally believe that the devs have absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to class balance, especially with healers and ESPECIALLY especially with priests, and as far as I am concerned they have proven this repeatedly.

As far as mana regen goes, I highly doubt the devs understand now or ever will just how far behind holy is. They will nerf the other 3 healing classes sure, but there is no way in hell they will nerf them enough. Furthermore, holy and disc have more serious problems then just mana, and all I can see is the devs turning a blind eye to their ineffectiveness, even when they acknowledge the inefficiency.

I am currently "locked in" with my priest for cata. They way things are going, my guild wont be likely to taking me on raids as disc OR holy, even though as a player, I have proven myself to be one of their best healers now or previously in wrath. I seriously don't want to main shadow, although I do believe shadow will be balanced well enough that it may be all I can go as.
Edited by Sotanaht on 11/10/2010 11:23 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
doublepost, sry
Edited by Sotanaht on 11/10/2010 11:28 AM PST
85 Goblin Priest
If they keep up wth the builds they are releasing on beta, there is always opportunity for changes, even minor ones that help our class. This build from last night helped Disc, Shadow and Holy. Nerfed resto and holy pallys just a bit. May not be a lot, but it's continual progress in the right direction.
Community Manager
We’re aware of the current concerns over priest healing and have additional balance changes in store within the beta. As always, constructive feedback based on these experiences is always welcome.
85 Human Priest
Blue post in a class forum? I'm hallucinating. Pinch me.

But on a more serious note, thanks for the update. <3
What happened to the candle:<
85 Goblin Warrior
Rofl, NUBA DOWN
85 Blood Elf Priest
Holy crap its a blue.
Also:
Holy
•Prayer of Healing base healing value has been increased by 20%, from [ 3026 - 3198 ] to [ 3632 - 3838 ].

Discipline
•Power Word: Barrier duration reduced to 10 sec, down from 25 sec. No longer absorbs a given amount of damage, now reduces all damage done to friendly targets by 30%. While within the barrier, spellcasting will not be interrupted by damage.
•Divine Aegis now also procs from all heals from Prayer of Healing.
•Grace now increases all healing received from the Priest by 4/8%, up from 2/4%.

/like

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]