Are Absorbs Overpowered?

90 Night Elf Druid
09/11/2013 05:31 AMPosted by Wards
If you took our mastery... and converted it entirely into +healing... we'd have a tiny bit less healing because of added overheal, but it certainly wouldn't be a 25-30% healing loss.

I think this is a good point. Druid and shaman masteries never show up on meters, but that doesn't mean they're useless, it just means they're amplifying the amount healed by other heals rather than being counted as a separate effect.

It's also true that overheal immunity is more important for recount than for actually saving people who are going to die. Nobody overheals during rampage or quills; it's only during the low damage phases that absorbs pad the meters and heals get locked out.

09/11/2013 05:31 AMPosted by Wards
In other news... absorbs are a fun mechanic.

Well, I wouldn't know, would I. Absorbs can't be a central part of healing *and* something that only a few specs have access to.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry, let me rephrase that. As a game developer, I find the CONCEPT of shields, heals, and HoT's pleasing. Anything that can break the monotony of play and allow diversity I approve of (I'm looking forward to the Org boss with the shields and no healing during the main phases). My class uses shields, but I don't consider it, well, ACTIVE shielding. I never say, "Hmm, damage incoming, better put a shield up on the tank" unless I'm swamped in mana and everyone else in the raid is at full health. Far better to simply time a heal so it lands just after the hit, or use a utility spell.

Oh, but we have Sacred Shield, don't we? That's active shielding.

I see you point, though. There's one and a half classes with shields out of six. Shielding can't be a core component with that small number. It'd be like deciding that immunity effects like Divine SHield or Ice Block should be a core component of a fight. There are very likely bosses that are... less than they could be, because the developers have to consider SS and other shielding effects. So numbers get tuned differently. And perhaps certain boss mechanics can't be implemented, because they might cause Disc to become mandatory for the fight itself.

So shielding should be flavor, rather than a niche? I can get behind that. Like how a paladin uses Beacon or a Shaman uses totems. I mean, I don't see non Shaman making demands and brandishing pitchforks because the rest of us don't get to drop glorified fenceposts, or Holy Priests snarling because they can't melee enemies like monks or cats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]