Retribution paladin stats

Haste
Haste
Haste
Haste

those are your top 4 stats
Funny. That's Protection most valued stats too from what I hear. Gonna be fun tanking in ret gear if 5.4 doesn't change that.

Riposte is changing that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Secondary stats? Hit/exp cap>haste>mastery>crit.

Strength is the only primary stat you should have on your gear. Weapon upgrades are by far your biggest increase in damage so even if they have suboptimal stats like hit/crit it's still better to go for the better weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haste
Haste
Haste
Haste

those are your top 4 stats
Funny. That's Protection most valued stats too from what I hear. Gonna be fun tanking in ret gear if 5.4 doesn't change that.

I thought tanks need dodge and parry?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest

Sorta. There's really not much they can do to keep haste from being great for them.

It might just end up being even options at best.
Edited by Morrice on 9/6/2013 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Can you educate me a bit. I am holding off even researching my stats or doing anything since I am gonna replace it all come Tuesday anyway.

Can I get a link to show what my new priorities will be?
You would think, but haste helps Pallies so much more right now. With procs, GCD's and all that. Even my healing seal would heal me more with more haste and result in me staying alive longer. I don't know what Blizz was thinking but at least until 5.4, Haste trumps all that.

Edit (again): Just looked it up real quick. I am reading that it is a Warrior/DK thing.
Edited by Milsa on 9/6/2013 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pallies don't get Riposte.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Oh yeah. They just get nerfed or number changed or something.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hit and expertise 7.5% first,strength gear,Mastery at lower level gear,when your gear gets up around 480 ish start pushing more haste.Mastery is more important than Crit.

edit because keyboard batteries,lol
Edited by Dalles on 9/6/2013 7:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Haste makes our cooldowns go faster,more procs mean more healing and more damage.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
lol ok ty again everyone
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
hit/exp cap , str, haste , crit=mastery. Depending on what you are doing, and your personal play style.

I think in pve mastery is a bit of a dps advantage over crit.
In pvp crit helps EVERYTHING including your heals, and not just your 3 spells that mastery helps.

Although there is nothing like hitting someone for 120k then getting another 50k mastery tic. But pve i run mastery, pvp I run crit for big heals/big numbers.

Ret play is pretty simple as far as straight dps'ing goes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9753545568

This is grog's guide, still on the front page. Give it a good read and you will learn everything you need to know and then some.

To simply answer your question, cap hit and expertise as soon as possible, gem haste or str depending on your gear, reforge haste>mastery=crit. Knowing your character and seeing the armory would be nice, but that's how basic gearing goes. You can use a program called Simcraft to find your character's stat weights, which show your dps increases for each stat.

You can then plug these into a reforge addon like Reforgelite, and it will reforge for the highest dps.

If you're just killing things and don't care enough to do that, hit/exp cap and then go haste.

Gearing is only part of it though, and if you're lacking in other areas, it's a small part of your damage output. Read Grog's guide to make sure you're following the right priority etc. It makes such a big difference for ret.

Edit: You should really gem/enchant your items too. Even if you're going to replace most of them soon or it's expensive, getting cheap alternatives like green gems are definitely worth the time and cost.
Edited by Arte on 9/7/2013 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stack int for bonus spellpower

You stop that
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

No to both. Haste will still be best, for exactly the same reasons it is now.
Edited by Ravicana on 9/7/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hit to Cap (7.5%), Expertise to Cap (7.5%), Strengh>Haste>Mastery=Critical Strike.
Use Reforge for Hit and Exp (and off-gems for socket bonuses). Yellow sockets always Haste. After Hit+Exp cap reforge all remaining Mastery and Crit to Haste (if gear allows).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Paladin tanks have never needed Dodge or Parry. Ever. In any expansion. It's been a mix of Block Rating, Stam stacking, Mastery and now Haste. But never avoidance.

Riposte is not a Paladin ability.

Is this really the Paladin forums and not a necro thread ? Sooo much ignorance in this one...
Edited by Berith on 9/8/2013 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
In ToT gear the stat priority is

1. Hit to 7.5%
2. Str
3. Exp to 7.5%
4. Haste
5. Mastery/Crit (very close but mastery is still pulling ahead in T15)

red: 160 expertise, 160 haste until you expertise soft cap then switch to 80 str 160 haste. Those of you questioning this, its because 2 expertise is better than 1 strength so its like free stats.

yellow: 320 haste because 2 haste is better than 1 str.

blue: 160 haste+160 hit unless you are way over hit then 160 haste 160 stam so you dont waste stats. Anything over 7.5% hit is a waste.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

We're getting a change to our Grand Crusader proc - resets our Avenger's Shield cooldown and lets it generate Holy Power briefly - so that it's based purely on avoidance rather than on hits, or something to that effect. We're likely not getting Riposte because crit's kinda useless for prot pallies.

And despite what people continue to say, dodge and parry are not useless. You simply don't aim for them like you used to. Thanks to diminishing returns and the rate at which they scale, the difference in gained avoidance between pure raid-level tank drops and reforged LFR tank drops are almost nil, so aiming for more haste (which 'til 5.4 prot pallies never got on tank gear, thus letting it scale like crazy) is more beneficial.

Frankly, the system's a little borked and in need of balancing so tank gear doesn't go extinct. The changes to Grand Crusader's a start, but it's no long-term fix.
Edited by Benemus on 9/9/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I stack spirit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]