Holy Paladin PvE 5.4: Mastery or Haste Build?

99 Human Paladin
Good morning,

I have been hearing a lot of discussion on how haste build is better now for PvE since the changes to our mastery shield won't allow for EF blanketing as we did before, and therefore more through-output in burst from haste will be better.

I've always used the mastery build, but I'd like to know if it is better now to reforge and re-gem for the haste build.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Last night, i played around with Mastery and haste, and ended after killing 8 bosses. I REALLLLLLLY enjoy haste. i have HUGE amounts of spirit, so i can sustain my ridiculous amounts of casts. Overall, i like haste, because my meta and trinkets proc so much its crazy.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
Mmm, the thing is that I don't have the ilvl that you do, the meta gem, or even the spirit, so, is haste still beneficial for me?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm thinking of reforging into haste myself. Without EF reapplying Illuminated healing I feel mastery may have dropped signiigantly in usefulness compared to haste. Especially now that some of our CD's can really help (guardian heals all through the 15 seconds he's up, and ivine Plea no longer reduces healing).

But you're stats are pretty close to mine and I feel fine, but I would enjoy going back to haste like the old days. Wha do holy paladins need? HASTE.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
Well, in game people as well as other sources keep sauing mastery and EF is still the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well, in game people as well as other sources keep sauing mastery and EF is still the way to go.

EF is nolonger effected by Mastery and modst hpallys top end are doing haste now
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't say I know a lot about this just coming back to the game and healing in LFR, but it also may depend on the talents you use.

For example, Holy now benefits from Sanctity of Battle (Haste = shorter CDs for HS, Judgement, and CS.) So if you were to use Selfless Healer (which I'm just now playing around with for the first time myself), Haste will directly increase the speed you can use those abilities to generate HP as well.

The flipside, of course, is that with no HoT, the Mastery bubbles will be what you're relying on for some of your group healing. So I guess it's a little of this and a little of that. -shrug-

Like everyone's saying, it probably mostly comes down to how much Spirit you have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've always preferred int > spirit managing for healing. I find the trend goes int + haste or spirit + mastery (I've always done resto druids or shamans and holy paladins). Intellect is the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Looking at Holy pally's who have cleared 14/14 there seems to be a pretty even mix between haste and mastery, as well as many people having varying opinions on which is better so far, so it's probably close enough that it's more of a play style decision.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
i found that, going with selfless healer and haste, holy power generation is insane ... fingers crossed that the hammer doesn't fall on our heads
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Now.. my ilvl is only 502.. but..
I have about 7.4k spirit and have just moved onto using haste instead of mastery and at first I found it to be overwhelming..
But after doing the last 3 bosses of ToT LFR and sitting on 66k+ HPS with my mana not going down below 80% it felt really comfortable and over powered XD

I might have to try doing the same wing next week with EF to make a comparison..
But yeah.. i'm completely at a loss whether to continue with heavy mastery build.. or go for haste instead...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been going for the first haste breakpoint 3506 and using EF. So far its working out pretty good for me, I'm not noticing a drop in HPS, If anything my Disc priest is complaining about it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
7170 haste breakpoint, spirit to comfort, then mastery reforge. As long as you don't have to sacrifice too much mastery to reach the breakpoint.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
since the changes to our mastery shield won't allow for EF blanketing as we did before

In a 25m raid, I still find myself EF "blanketing" but not in the same way. Only use 3HP EFs, keep them on the tanks and yourself and on whoever else that needs it.

I tried Selfless Healer but I found it to be very awkward to use.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Looking at Holy pally's who have cleared 14/14 there seems to be a pretty even mix between haste and mastery, as well as many people having varying opinions on which is better so far, so it's probably close enough that it's more of a play style decision.

I think it depends on who and what you're healing, what other healers are in the group too. SH is a great option for end-game sustained content, but EF is GOOD for that fast burst you need. I can two heal normal Norushen fast with no issue with EF but not with SH at the moment - for example. I keep the same build for both.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've been trying out a heavy Haste build using Eternal Flame, stacking all the way up to the 10,867 breakpoint. So far I'm very happy with the results; throughput is very high while mana still remains plentiful. A higher level of Haste means I can churn out more Holy Shocks, which are even more efficient this patch than they were before, along with squeezing in more Holy Radiances into my legendary meta gem procs than I normally wouldn't be able to.

Until I see hard math that proves otherwise, I'll be sticking with my current haste level and relegating any additional secondary stats into Mastery. I haven't had any mana issues on the fights I've done so far, from Immerseus up to Dark Shaman on both Flex and Normal.

Edit: I may try out the 7,170 breakpoint and investing more stats into throughput sometime, but once content is on farm. I'm afraid I'll see a loss in throughput on any fight that requires raw healing.
Edited by Areos on 9/15/2013 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
What are the breakpoints? I am currently switching right to the haste build and wanna get as much as possible being around 9.5k atm. Haven't tried them out yet though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What are the breakpoints? I am currently switching right to the haste build and wanna get as much as possible being around 9.5k atm. Haven't tried them out yet though.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1223356-Haste-breakpoints-for-Eternal-flame?p=19054618&viewfull=1#post19054618
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For normal modes, I would try reaching 7170 haste, 30% mastery and the rest int. I reforged out of spirit to gain more mastery even. I went from mid to bottom of healing meters to top two after I did this. Heroic modes will likely be a different story as progression would require a little more leeway for shields and mana usage. There's no point in going for higher than 7170 haste until you can reach the final breakpoint for the EF tic. Your mastery will be more beneficial until then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]