Holy Paladin PvE 5.4: Mastery or Haste Build?

90 Draenei Paladin
I have completed 13/14 this week and have been using the 10867 haste breakpoint. You first will notice how much more of a uptime you have on your EF, keeping 4-5 going all the time without effort or CD's. Second thing you will notice is how often your HS is off CD, which allows you to use it more upping your HPS and HoPow generation. which leads to the third reason, that with more use of free or cheap insta-casts(i.e. Holy shock eternal flame) your mana is more manageable, allowing you to have less base spirit and more stats to int and mastery.

the last thing i will mention is with this level of haste your divine light's cast time is so low that i use it as my save-a-life cast over Flash-of-light.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
every top end holy pally is still using mastery go to paragon, method, blood legions forums and they all report this. were did you find your info you just making it up?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I've been trying out a heavy Haste build using Eternal Flame, stacking all the way up to the 10,867 breakpoint. So far I'm very happy with the results; throughput is very high while mana still remains plentiful. A higher level of Haste means I can churn out more Holy Shocks, which are even more efficient this patch than they were before, along with squeezing in more Holy Radiances into my legendary meta gem procs than I normally wouldn't be able to.

Until I see hard math that proves otherwise, I'll be sticking with my current haste level and relegating any additional secondary stats into Mastery. I haven't had any mana issues on the fights I've done so far, from Immerseus up to Dark Shaman on both Flex and Normal.

Edit: I may try out the 7,170 breakpoint and investing more stats into throughput sometime, but once content is on farm. I'm afraid I'll see a loss in throughput on any fight that requires raw healing.

you want your hard math? look at world of logs the parsing pallies are pure mastery build
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Haste to 7170 then mastery for 10 man. Straight mastery for 25 man.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mastery. You get more healing (the pally mastery absorb) from mastery then you would if you can cast spells faster.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Go strait mastery for 25 with selfless healer. its fun different play style and i basically top every fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

you want your hard math? look at world of logs the parsing pallies are pure mastery build

Untrue. Many parsing hpallys are a mix of haste and mastery, not just pure mastery.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Hello fellow Holydins! I have a question regarding percent buffs to haste. Bear with me, as I do my best to grasp these mathematical concepts :-D

I am trying to understand how the 10% casting haste buff from Seal of Insight works into reaching haste break points. Some things I have read state break points as percents, and some as just haste points. I have noticed that when I activate Seal of Insight, I gain 10% but the rating number does not change. Thus I am having trouble figuring out if I need to shoot for a given percent amount to hit a break point or if I should rely on the haste point number.

For example: Without Seal of Insight on, my haste percent is 16.83%, and I have 7153 haste rating. Now I turn on Seal of Insight, and I have 28.51%, and still 7153 haste rating. So, in terms of knowing if I will be hitting a break point, do I look at the percent or the rating?

I want to test out the 7170 break point, however I do not know if I need to just stack up to that amount in rating and ignore the haste percent. Using Seal of Insight + Raid buff= 10%+5%=15% boost to haste from buffage. But do I just ignore this and just focus on stacking up the rating to 7170?

Any expert advice would be appreciated! :-D
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Mastery's a good build if you like to spam-cast Holy Light during downtime, while Haste is more useful if you play more reactionary to big hits or group damage, and just chill/let mana regen during downtime.

That's how I've always seen it, at least. Ideally a mix of both is good. And of course having the Spirit to keep your mana up, but that's kind of a given, eh? :D
Edited by Benemus on 9/27/2013 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello fellow Holydins! I have a question regarding percent buffs to haste. Bear with me, as I do my best to grasp these mathematical concepts :-D

I am trying to understand how the 10% casting haste buff from Seal of Insight works into reaching haste break points. Some things I have read state break points as percents, and some as just haste points. I have noticed that when I activate Seal of Insight, I gain 10% but the rating number does not change. Thus I am having trouble figuring out if I need to shoot for a given percent amount to hit a break point or if I should rely on the haste point number.

For example: Without Seal of Insight on, my haste percent is 16.83%, and I have 7153 haste rating. Now I turn on Seal of Insight, and I have 28.51%, and still 7153 haste rating. So, in terms of knowing if I will be hitting a break point, do I look at the percent or the rating?

I want to test out the 7170 break point, however I do not know if I need to just stack up to that amount in rating and ignore the haste percent. Using Seal of Insight + Raid buff= 10%+5%=15% boost to haste from buffage. But do I just ignore this and just focus on stacking up the rating to 7170?

Any expert advice would be appreciated! :-D

Get your gear to 7170 points of Haste. The % buffs will then carry you to the actual break point.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm hearing it's as simple as:

EF build - Haste
Selfless Healer build - Mastery
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
sacred shield also seems to benefit much from haste. its a nice alternate to EF for fights where you want to save your holy power for LoD. also, since sacred shield is instant, you can cast it while moving, so you can help offset the various dots that bosses throw up in the new raids.

being able to put sacred shield on 3 targets is a huge buff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
With raid buffs and such, I'm sitting at a flat 54% haste, a little over 14k haste rating. Keep in mind I also have the normal prismatic prison of pride. I get EF ticking about every 1.93 seconds, so I'm not quite at the 16 tick breakpoint. The amount of healing haste paladins are capable of is just insane. The pull of malk I'm bursting well over 800k hps, and I finish off the fight well over 300k hps.

I'm using haste > crit > mastery.

I always use holy avenger. It's extremely strong, especially for fights like thok where every phase 1 I can blanket all 10 people with 3hp EFs, by alternating hp generators (hs, crusader strike, or holy radiance) and EF. I usually just use hs and cs for hp gen when divine favor is active, and use fast holy radiance casts (hence crit>mastery) when cs misses.

I also strongly suggests any holy pally using a haste spec obtains the kafa press, the extra 4k haste with other CDs up is amazing.

Any questions about play style and haste feel free to ask
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The pull of malk I'm bursting well over 800k hps, and I finish off the fight well over 300k hps.

lol why you lying bro, here's a link to your last mal kill
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7zgy1l4my1wqsiio/sum/healingDone/?s=9510&e=9756

i do have a question why are using crusader strike in your rotation, you're just gimping daylight
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm trying to get Holy gear now and start healing, are there any Armories I can look at as a guide to what I should be doing?
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
In all honesty there is no right or wrong answer. I have been playing around with pure mastery with int gemming, pure haste, and haste/mastery hybrid. The best choice is way to dependent on the other healers in your raid, the fight you are on, and the difficulty/size of your raid. Throughout normal I found that my numbers were higher when I used more mastery since there was less damage going out meaning that there was less actual throughput from my Eternal Flame HoT ticks. This being said I also raid with 1 to 2 disc priests in my 25m at all times so this could also be due to the fact that fighting so many absorb heals and mastery is the only way to steal heals from the disc priests as well as make sure that my heals are effecting those taking the damage without me actually using a smart heal. When I began to progress in heroics though it became ever clear that hitting the 7170 haste breakpoint was overall better as long as I didn't sacrifice too much mastery. I have also been thinking about going to the 10867 for malk due to the simple fact that Absorbs < Throughput so the extra ticks and the lowered CDs of holy shock would be much more beneficial than the extra absorbs from mastery (obviously since all your healing is basically effective healing).

To sum it all up, there are different answers for so many different situations. I am not saying that my way is the best way but I have found that this way is definitely not a bad way. Play style also can always effect the outcome but I have found that with 7170 haste and at least 30% unbuffed mastery is a very viable build ^_^. Hope I helped anything :P.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/24/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Tullus
The pull of malk I'm bursting well over 800k hps, and I finish off the fight well over 300k hps.

lol why you lying bro, here's a link to your last mal kill
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7zgy1l4my1wqsiio/sum/healingDone/?s=9510&e=9756

i do have a question why are using crusader strike in your rotation, you're just gimping daylight

lol.

HAI FLAG!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I ll say just this...FULL MASTERY/CRIT......since EF dont work with mastery anymore i started trying the sentence that give u 1 holy power also U may notice that with a little cap of crit u make ur holy shocks ( 3 of 5 near by) give u a haste buf...so in less than 2 sec u have 2 holy power with sentence and holy shock and with lucky u throw a radiance so quickly than any pala haste...so u can use always light of dawn with 3 holy power ...also with the bonus tear and on my opinion with holy advenger u make ur mastery work really good...!!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
How are holy pally's doing so much HPS on Malk? Do you EF everyone before pull? I heal with a monk and either druid or disc priest mostly.

10m Normal
Edited by Radiante on 11/20/2013 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]