Smart heals making healers dumber?

100 Goblin Shaman
I just read the lastest patch notes...I am starting to wonder with the noticeable amount of smart heals - we are going the path of where healers have to think less and less how to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I just read the lastest patch notes

It's really just words to make you not feel as bad. It softens the nerf in someway i guess.
Edited by Harpoa on 9/5/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
When it comes to the little circle heals that were the target of the most recent changes, I fail to see how making them 'smart' reduces the amount of thought involved in using them. Unless you're talking about the 'should I raid 25m where my class doesn't suck' decision?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Oh no the MW has smart heals, Paladin has smart heals, Shaman healing rain, and totems are smart heals - the amount of smart heals is slowly but surely increasing as time passes. We eventually won't have to worry about priority healing as the smart heals will do that for us.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I wouldn't say so.

Healing now requires far more thought process then it say previous xpacs. Sometimes it seems like several classes are getting introduced to smart heals but I don't necessarily see that as a negative thing. I for one, enjoy both.

The end of an xpac is generally when healing becomes mindless, regardless of whether or not smart heals are all over the place or not.
Edited by Veroicone on 9/5/2013 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
There is going to be no real change to how any of the spells that they changed are going to be used. This particular change isn't going to change playstyle or spell selection at all from how they are on live.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I just read the lastest patch notes...I am starting to wonder with the noticeable amount of smart heals - we are going the path of where healers have to think less and less how to heal.

People have been saying the same thing since the game launched.

"Getting rid of downranking makes healing so easy!"
"Cata's style of healing is so easy!"
"Smart heals make the game so easy!"

Etc.

Is healing really any easier than it used to be? Not really. Why? Because at the end of the day you're never going to be a good healer unless you learn to use the spells that don't smart heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

The change was actually made because it was necessary to fight combat-log spam on guardians like Wild Imps, Voodoo Gnomes, etc. It was causing server-side lag. Blizzard did not want to make this change but felt that this was the best solution at this time.

Source: Blue post that I can't find.

There is going to be no real change to how any of the spells that they changed are going to be used. This particular change isn't going to change playstyle or spell selection at all from how they are on live.

Actually, it will certainly reduce the amount of overheal on these abilities. It means when the whole raid is stacked and one person is almost dead, everyone can just keep doing their healing rain/spinning crane kick/holy radiance and that one person who is dying will get way more heals than previously. This means you can almost spot heal with smart-heal aoe heals, especially in 25-man.

An extension of this situation is when the raid is stacked and most or some of them are full health, due to the nature of the AoE or their personal cooldowns being up. This means that heals are not wasted on those players, like tanks healing themselves during Rampage for example. The encounters will be tuned with this in mind, though.

The most extreme situation where it would be different is if a 25m raid is stacked, only 6 members are injured (but injured heavily) and you need to heal them up. Suddenly, spinning crane kick/healing rain/etc are way more HPS than on live.
Edited by Geodew on 9/5/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

To be fair, removing ranks did make a lot of things easier, but yeah... smart heals aren't 'short bus'ing anyone.
Edited by Vear on 9/5/2013 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

To be fair, removing ranks did make a lot of things easier, but yeah... smart heals aren't 'short bus'ing anyone.

I wasn't around when ranks were removed, but it sounds like a good way to get button bloat down.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

I wasn't around when ranks were removed, but it sounds like a good way to get button bloat down.

It was an odd time in the land of Oz, for all healers. One I doubt many really miss.

Though I do miss punishing people that ticked me off by rezing them with a rank 1 rez and watching them whine that they only have 5% health.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
it's not actually going to change the way the spells are used except probably sanc
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I remember whan Holy Pallies did nothing but spam Flash Heal. And back when you could macro smart heals...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My issue with smart heals, not the greatest when they don't focus who you wan to focus.

Most fights I just attonement heal, on occasions tanks die and say "I got no heal for X seconds".

Seems if the raid and the tanks are taking damage, it goes to whoever is lowest HP, not whoever is highest priority.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

It was an odd time in the land of Oz, for all healers. One I doubt many really miss.

Though I do miss punishing people that ticked me off by rezing them with a rank 1 rez and watching them whine that they only have 5% health.

I actually really miss downranking. It was so much better than whatever the crap we got in Cata.
Reply Quote
Yes, healing has slowly become incredibly dumbed down, especially for some classes more than others. Absorbs and smart heals and burst damage, no effort on the part of the healers. Just look at the first phase of H Lei Shen. Pally + 2 Disc = No damage and on thunderstruck, double halo. Perfectly predictable damage, meaningless. My idea of fun healing is heals not doing a lot of healing, but there always being constant damage to everyone in the raid. Always. So much no one would ever get to 100% hp. Mana is as much of an issue as it is for tanks and DPS, maybe slightly more. That way I'm ALWAYS healing, so are the other healers. I mean as someone who played a holy paladin in TBC, I don't ever want this to be a game of single target heals.

But they've really gone too far with things in general, though, with giving so many specs and healers smart heals or raidwide damage reduction CDs. Even trinkets and all of this other !@#$. It should only be healers and personal buff CDs, not the array of stuff in the game currently. It makes healing incredibly unfun. It shouldn't be the job of all of these classes using their CDs to keep the raid alive by healing or reducing damage, it should be the healers job. Why should shaman have that much utility while other healers don't? Why should a ret paladin have a cooldown that reduces physical damage, but other healers don't? And resto shaman? Their bad spread was justified by their CDs, now they have better spread healing, amazing aoe healing because, apparently, their niche is 'we must be the best stack healers' despite other healing classes being given the tools to do it, and the same utility? Why not reduce the CDs of all these classes and spread them among healers? Maybe it's just me, maybe since I've been healing for 7 years I've somehow become bored of it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
lmao as if any healer comp has trouble with phase 1 of lei shen
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 04:04 AMPosted by Alphasoul
My idea of fun healing is heals not doing a lot of healing, but there always being constant damage to everyone in the raid. Always. So much no one would ever get to 100% hp. Mana is as much of an issue as it is for tanks and DPS, maybe slightly more. That way I'm ALWAYS healing, so are the other healers. I mean as someone who played a holy paladin in TBC, I don't ever want this to be a game of single target heals.

How is this any more engaging than what we have currently? You would (all) be mashing your relevant AoE buttons for x period of time, regenning for y period of time, and pressing your button again for z period of time.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I thought I felt less clever. Drat you circle of healing!
/shakes her fist.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
@Alphasoul So basically you want ICC healing back? Raid wide aoe damage always going out, no cares about mana management and just spamming constantly or people get 2 shot. I can admit it was kinda fun, but I prefer the current model much more.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]