Ret Healing

100 Human Paladin
How much are you healing for - and I'd have to change my playstyle, but I'm down for something different.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
not really sure how much it heals total, but its more then the flash of light is and it definitely works well for keeping me alive more.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's working pretty well! Wow, thanks for the heads up!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
yeah thats what i said! lol i appreciate zerg letting us know how well this works. rets fun as hell in bgs atm. im killing 3 people in a row solo lol
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Guess I should just leave this alone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hope you guys enjoy it =) My buddy Vanyen told me about it near the end of 5.3. I used Selfless Healer up until then. I would never go back now. Survivability skyrockets with Eternal Flame.

You are lucky you are Ally as well. Double DPS trinks with the survivability of Eternal Flame. OP lol
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The AOE silence must be nice, the rest of us have to be in Melee range.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
this toon has 36 days played on it....and its not even my first, i had one account at lvl 80 ret during wrath. i had a ret back in vanilla when seals lasted ten minutes and we had nothing but judgment practically lol so yeah flavor of the month.

Wait, what?

_I'VE_ played a Paladin since the start of BC when Horde got them. Seals NEVER lasted 10 minutes then. In Vanilla and until 2.4, they lasted 30 seconds, I believe, and were consumed on Judgement. In 2.4, they changed to 2 mins (may or may not have been consumed, I don't remember.) In Wrath they were upped to either 10 or 30 mins, no longer consumed on Judgements, cut down a few, and we were given the three different Judgements (Light=healing, Wisdom=mana, Justice=SoJ 100% walk speed limit.) I think in Cata they may have upped to 1 hr seals, but they then took the different Judgements away.

NOTE: The three Judgement effects used to be triggerable before Wrath by different seals, but most of those seals were removed by Cata, along with the Judgements, so we can't do things like raid healing or mana regen anymore.

In Mists, the seals became the toggles we have now.

...though maybe you were thinking of Blessings?

Anyway, to the Shaman: Paladins aren't FOTM classes or specs now, and HAVEN'T BEEN since Wrath. Overall, Ret isn't simple to play and has a burst window for about 20 seconds every 3 minutes.

If they use Bubble out of CC, then not only have they blown their bubble, but also it cuts damage done by 50%, which undoes the effect of their burst CDs. Playing a Paladin correctly amounts to basically lining up your CDs, trying to make your enemy blow his CDs and trinket, and then popping everything at once and burning them down.

Outside of our burst window, Rets are not actually that strong offensively. The rational from Blizzard for this was that Ret was strong in off-healing and utility.

Now, if Bliz is taking away Ret off-healing, they need to buff their non-burst damage to compensate for this, and I haven't seen that happening.

As for "weak" Shaman - I have a buddy that plays Shaman and he has few issues. He uses his totems effectively without "difficulties", and uses his CC effectively as well. Between slowing, snaring, and Hex, Shaman have a lot of useful tools for CC. You also get instant casts every 5 stacks of Maelstrom still, right? Paladins don't get that on anything other than FoL after 3 Judgments (DL and HR are also on that list for Holy Paladins). So where an Enhance can get an instant cast Healing Rain or Chain Lightning, Rets don't have those options.

Ele also get access to a ranged ground AOE and a knockback, two more things that Ret doesn't have. Ret doesn't even have an AOE when they don't have a target (Hammer of Wrath) or 3+HP (Divine Storm), making them unable to effectively deal with stealthed Rogues, Druids, or Camo Hunters.

Shaman are hardly in a bad place right now, least of all against Paladins. And you have your own major CDs to use (like those wonderful healing wolves that Enhance gets...)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
arthinas youre right on all levels and i was thinking blessings. lol its been soooo freaking long. and one more thing youre forgetting is the huge eles the enhance get during arena. i hate those things! lol. and youre right again on palys, which is why i started this thread. we no longer have our heals which was huge for our role in arena. all in all with the fear being so weak i dont see anything compensating for our loss of healing. if the fear didnt break in two seconds then id say we were fine cause we have a very usefull cc in place of our healing we lost and can now use that defensively to help the group, thus keeping our role in arena the same. but the fear sucks and now without heals all we have is bop and sac really.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Yes, eternal flame is pretty amazing right now. It is buffed 100% of the heal when used on yourself. Also they buffed it by 40% in 5.4. It's almost like you have a holy light from a holy paladin every 2.5 seconds. plus the initial heal is usually pretty big. Just think, Word of Glory with a tick. My buddy and I (double ret) have noticed huge survivability increases since the buff. It's pretty amazing =)

I'm gonna spellsteal this buff more often, just to see how much difference it makes.

Though, you may want to retain Selfless healer in Arenas, as that talent works as a dispel protection. Mages hate facing that talent simply because its 3-stack system makes it harder to spellsteal your Hand of Freedom. Moreover, we love to steal hots, since we are a failure at healing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I would say rets have the most overpowered heals of any mele class (except ferals with HOTW).

When Blizzard says that healing is Retributions niche as a DPS and they balance us around it, we had better be able to heal.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
09/14/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Airc
I would say rets have the most overpowered heals of any mele class (except ferals with HOTW).

When Blizzard says that healing is Retributions niche as a DPS and they balance us around it, we had better be able to heal.

thats what im saying!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That is one thing I do love. I can lock out a healer so easily on my horde pally compared to my ally side pally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/14/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Airc

We are a support class, not necessarily true DPS
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
We are actually a true dps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
IMO, Hybrids should not be superior in any one thing, they should be the Jack of All Trades, not great at healing, not great at damage, not great at utility, ect. But is decent at all of those things, but they feel like 5.0 1-shot Warriors, it's retarded.

No

Hybrid means your class can do multiple roles blizzard did away the concept of the Hybrid tax multiple xpacs ago, this reasoning is incorrect.

P.S. - DKs are also hybrids in case you didn't know. The only actual pure classes in the entire game are rogues, warlocks, hunters, and mages.
Edited by Rhadamir on 9/14/2013 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been playing around with eternal flame since the patch. While the HoT is really nice, it bugs the HELL out of me that a weaker hot from a two point heal will overwrite the stronger hot. It should have some kind of overwrite protection.

Since it seems the be the superior talent at the moment, I'm just going to have to adapt to the play style.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've been playing around with eternal flame since the patch. While the HoT is really nice, it bugs the HELL out of me that a weaker hot from a two point heal will overwrite the stronger hot. It should have some kind of overwrite protection.

Since it seems the be the superior talent at the moment, I'm just going to have to adapt to the play style.

ive noticed that too. what ever happened to "a more powerful effect is in affect."??? another fix for the devs to notice i hope.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ive noticed that too. what ever happened to "a more powerful effect is in affect."??? another fix for the devs to notice i hope.

I wouldn't hold my breathe, it's been this way since MoP launched.

It's just a pain adjusting to it. Since using Eternal Flame with anything less than three holy power neuters the HoT you have to be really proactive with healing. I'm used to spamming WoG at less than three when I'm trying to survive, it's gonna take practice to adjust.

I've been really heavily relying on using Selfless healer at less than three stacks this whole expansion. Depending on who I'm facing and what interrupts I know they have (And distance), I'll totally cast FoL with two or even one stack of selfless healer. Drastically different healing style.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
totally agree i had same play style, now its like trying to keep up an extra inquisition that you cant use 1-2 hp on
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]