Ret Healing

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just make sure you keep Inquisition up at all times. That gives you a crit bonus.

I usually do the 3 HP Inquisition, then follow up with 3 HP Eternal Flame. After that I have the 30 seconds to DPS before I have to cast Eternal Flame again. During that 30 seconds, i'll spam a 1-2 HP Eternal Flame for the extra (possibly crit with Inquisition up) heal.

You'll have to play much for defensively than you do with Selfless Healer. I've played with both (Selfless Healer and Eternal Flame) and I will hands down say that Eternal Flame is in my opinion the best option for survivability.

Also, as a side note. I switched out my Fist of Justice with Repentance. It does a wonderful job at cc'ing your target to get heals off that you would usually get a proc with using Selfless Healer. Just HoJ your target to make them pop trinket, then Blinding Light (I think it's like a 4 seconds ish disorient) then Repentance for another 7 seconds. You could even use First Aid in that time =P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not a bad plan ^ I'm going to do some arena's this season and see how high I can push it (Gunning for around 1800+) So this advice will help.

Otherwise for BGs/RBGs I'm sticking with First/EF for now.

FYI - I beat a 2k+ Boomkin in a duel yesterday. Twice. And I was over 60% health - eternal flame is just that good.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My buddy and I got to 1770 ish rating as dual Ret in 2s. This, obviously, was before the buff to Eternal Flame. I can only imagine how far we'll get this season.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My only problem with EF is it loses its luster when used on others, considering the HoT is doubled for self casts. Whereas Selfless Healer is the opposite.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
keep an eye on retcity when he runs 2s double ret this season, im sure he will push it to 2k+ easy with eternal flame. with eternal flame this season ill be pushing 2k+ as well, im usually the target in 3s and this will easily keep me alive when i would have died otherwise with FoL last season. though if teams pick up on it and rets are no longer kill target our off heals are gonna be an issue. heres to hoping sac and bop are enough, also thinking talent switching to things like hand of purity and other glyphs we should be able to have a hand up on some comps. with smart playing rets should be in top groups this season, if the healing doesnt completely gimp us in higher rating. there is nothing like a 180k crit heal on your healer when hes being trained by double melee.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Right, that's the choice you make. Big heals for yourself or others. You can always Hand of Sacrifice your teammate and then off heal with Eternal Flame or Flash Heal. That would help a little bit =)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My only problem with EF is it loses its luster when used on others, considering the HoT is doubled for self casts. Whereas Selfless Healer is the opposite.

thats my problem too. gotta figure out before the arena starts whos gonna get targeted i guess. or go ef and pray your other cds are enough. gotta see what the numbers look like in new gear
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Right, that's the choice you make. Big heals for yourself or others. You can always Hand of Sacrifice your teammate and then off heal with Eternal Flame or Flash Heal. That would help a little bit =)

bottom line is blizz changed our game play up and our role in groups, or at least the mechanics we use to fulfill that role. gotta get used to it change with the times and see if the numbers are enough in full gear. hopefully they will be cause our other mechanics to help group survivability havent been buffed. which means if it doesnt pan out in full gear our role as support in arenas has been diminished greatly
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also, don't use your friend getting trained on by 6 guys in a BG as a way to judge the healing power of Eternal Flame. 2s, 3s, even 5s that will happen much less often. Everyone has more resilience now, so if you are in a 2s fight and your buddy is getting attacked by someone the damage is going to be considerably less than it was before and less than when he was trained by 6 people. You'll have more options on how to keep your buddy alive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
agreed, gotta see how it works out, and yeah not using bgs as too much of a test except situationally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If we getter better healing again, we need less damage. I personally don't think it's fair we can can heal, and out damage other melee classes.. I'm specifically talking about Warriors. I wish we had old talent trees so they could implement a passive option to either do 50% more healing, but 25% less damage or something..
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
our dmg is burst and on a 2-3 min cd, our cc is on cds, our defensive utility is on cds, the only thing we had semi constant was heals.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
our dmg is burst and on a 2-3 min cd, our cc is on cds, our defensive utility is on cds, the only thing we had semi constant was heals.

That doesn't really make any sense.. of course our CC and Defensive Abilities are on CD's.. We do have decent damage without all CD's popped, we just can't one shot people like we do with CD's.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm not worried about them - they have passive heals and active defensives, and more sustained damage. Catch me without a bubble and a rogue eats me alive - same with a DK and Warrior, our heals can't overcome some of their moves.

Besides, we actually take a DPS loss to use our heals, they don't have to actively cast anything AND they get a passive damage reduction with little trade off. I don't pity them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How about that 30 second Divine Protection though? I don't think I can go back to Clemency.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/15/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Pallyofkillz

That doesn't really make any sense.. of course our CC and Defensive Abilities are on CD's.. We do have decent damage without all CD's popped, we just can't one shot people like we do with CD's.

what im saying is most of the game when all our CDs are down all we have left is halfway decent dmg and bad heals left now, unlike every other class who once they go through CDs they still have something left, consistant dmg, heals, something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Our damage is fine, you just need to get used to kiting. Long arm of the Law helps this out a ton. Our holy power generation is also pretty amazing. If you are in a fight you'll have a Templar's Verdict every... 5ish seconds. That's more than a big hit lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Our damage is fine, you just need to get used to kiting. Long arm of the Law helps this out a ton. Our holy power generation is also pretty amazing. If you are in a fight you'll have a Templar's Verdict every... 5ish seconds. That's more than a big hit lol

1v1 you have a point. but the point of this thread is about our healing in arena. me kiting doesnt help the healer live. and this thread isnt about ret survivalility. its about our role in an arena comp. and healing up our party when our healer is cced or getting trained is a huge part of our role and utility. thats what we are discusing here. not other ways for rets to live or survive. so bottom line is, our healing got nerfed and this nerfs our role in parties.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well...our healing is gimped a bit -but wait until you get into new gear before you swear off our role.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well...our healing is gimped a bit -but wait until you get into new gear before you swear off our role.

i am no worries. not saying we are useless. just saying our role may have changed in arena. because blizz has stated that our role in arena is off heals(among other things) and as it looks this isnt the case any more.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]