Proving Ground (Healing Gold)?

(Locked)

90 Gnome Priest
I did it first try without dropping below 70% mana and very little use of cooldowns, I honestly thought it was severely under tuned.

This, really. I only died once, but it was because I was distracted and missed a debuff on myself, not because the encounter was actually difficult.

I honestly wouldn't use proving grounds as a measure of someone's ability. At least not the healing one.
100 Goblin Shaman
in my opinion there are way too many hard-hitting mechanics that align way too easily to be properly healed through. its basically just a rinse repeat and keep praying that they don't decide to target one person with everything at the same moment. which is a really stupid, gimmicky model that serves only to frustrate and is being repeated all too often in wow these days.

Actually I do agree with this. This is one of the things that was making me go OOM (besides being dispel happy).

What it really just needs is a "sit down and drink" time between the phases. In a heroic (or even early LFR), you get to at least maybe sit down and drink between pulls.

Though I didn't die once. Embarrassingly, the "tank" did.
90 Undead Priest
1 shot tank &healing gold modes, 2 shot dps gold.

Only the final wave on tank gold was a little dicey, everything else was extremely undertuned.

edit: WW and BrM monk, holy priest used.
Edited by Facehurt on 9/10/2013 10:34 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Easy for me, no sweat, yet.

Endless, past round 7 did prove to test who, or i should say, when i heal anyone but the tank.

I also did this in pvp gear, and my set bonus does not work, which makes me sad when i do once in a bloom moon use FoL...
90 Pandaren Shaman

See and I think the reason I was OOMing like mad in gold is I'm dispel happy (I'm not kidding on this). I see a purple debuff, it gets dispelled.

So on my final try I went with the TC and HW glyphs. Seemed to help a bit.

I honestly didn't find much of a problem in gold. I dispelled everything (it's more mana efficient to dispel than to allow the bombs to explode, after all), I was careful not to overdo my healing.

I think shammies have an easier time than other healers though, purely because we have so many cooldowns. The new rushing streams talent is excellent for non-critical 'aoe' healing, and with totemic recall, healing stream totem is basically free. We have capacitor for stuns (and if you time it correctly, you can make THAT free as well using the recall, but it's only 3k mana either way). Healing tide makes for fine emergency AoE healing. Ascendance is very powerful in a 5 man group as the healing doesn't get watered down nearly as much. And we have a ranged interrupt.

----

My breakdown for the endless waves, if it's of any use to anyone:

Versus the mantids/ordos: Focus interrupt them, but not right away as the rogue and mage generally get the first couple. Against the clumps of 4 ordos casters, wind shear the far one to bring him into melee range of the tank, then drop a capacitor totem down after the tank's hit his shockwave. Trigger finger to be kept near healing tide totem as these can be high group damage.

Versus the virmen: Allow the tank to take some hits where you can, in order to dedicate full attention to getting the debuff off of other party members. Given how resto's mastery works, this actually works quite nicely as long as you don't neglect him too long. Trigger finger near spirit link totem so you can pop the tank back up to an acceptable level of health if it's during a conqueror pack.

Versus the jinyu: Auto dispel the debuff on reflex if there's only one. if there's two, wait and see who's targeted. The debuffs go out within a second of each other usually. Dispel in melee. Leave yourself or the hunter with the debuff. Run out of melee if you have it. One explosion won't be fatal as long as everyone's healthy. They actually do melee kind of hard, too. Probably the most dangerous enemies in the healer challenges, I think.

Versus the conquerors: Unless you've let the tank dip low enough that he shield walls out of sequence, he'll always pop shield wall during enrages. Which means unless there's two conquerors in the group, he'll be fine and you don't need to do anything special. Trigger finger on ascendance if there's two. Spirit link as well, if you messed up and the tank can't shield wall.

And lastly, mana tide whenever mana falls under 220k and it's off cooldown, unless you anticipate having a good 10-20 seconds of no casting at the end of a wave (waves 11 and 21 felt quite easy and short, so these made fair mana recovery stops). Try to time after healing stream expires so you don't waste throughput.
Edited by Kushuma on 9/10/2013 10:43 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
I managed to get Gold down on the second try, but it was no cakewalk. I found it to be tuned appropriately - I was having to pay a lot of attention to cycling cool downs and needed to use Bloodlust strategically.

I'd think anybody who this was a breeze for probably has a different ratio of Mana returning stats. On the second attempt, more focus on efficient healing and strategic use of cooldowns worked.

For resto shaman, the downgrade could potentially be damning, since we gain a significant amount of throughput from haste breakpoints. Reforging away from Crit also reduces this ratio for Shaman healers since Crit is mostly a longevity stat for us.
Edited by Mvura on 9/11/2013 6:02 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
It felt just like being back in starting gear in 5 mans. My druid rocked those but I struggled on my pally in spots and noticed the same issues here that I had back then. I rolled through the three levels but definitely found mana to be more of an issue but I wasn't being conservative till the gold round. That got a little touchy at the end with mana.
100 Tauren Druid
in my opinion there are way too many hard-hitting mechanics that align way too easily to be properly healed through. its basically just a rinse repeat and keep praying that they don't decide to target one person with everything at the same moment. which is a really stupid, gimmicky model that serves only to frustrate and is being repeated all too often in wow these days.

On my fist few go rounds of this I agree. Only did a couple tries and got to 8/8 silver but had to stop for that sleep thing that is a waste of time.

Each time I lost it was because the hunter stood in something bad/got hit hard, lost almost all hp (like, getting taken to 5-10% in one shot), then immediately got hit by an AOE and died. I had barely enough time to react before the AOE finished him off. I think there will be RNG moments like this frequently.
90 Human Priest
I think it's probably a little easier for less-geared players. For example, at higher gear levels, as a disc priest, I gear away from mastery/spirit and into haste. With the ilevel scaling, this doesn't bode well for my mana. I have made some initial changes, but I need to do a little more to get gold. 8/10 waves down, though.

You didn't mean to say "I gear away from mastery/spirit and into crit"?
Just making sure.
100 Goblin Shaman
09/11/2013 06:52 AMPosted by Yserastraza
I think it's probably a little easier for less-geared players. For example, at higher gear levels, as a disc priest, I gear away from mastery/spirit and into haste. With the ilevel scaling, this doesn't bode well for my mana. I have made some initial changes, but I need to do a little more to get gold. 8/10 waves down, though.

You didn't mean to say "I gear away from mastery/spirit and into crit"?
Just making sure.

Unless something has changed since I last played my disc priest in early ToT:

Disc priests have 2 different types of priorities depending on their playstyle- some favor mastery/spirit (more bubble focused) and others favor haste/crit (smite heavy).

There's not just one way to reforge for disc.
Edited by Jujubiju on 9/11/2013 9:44 AM PDT
100 Human Priest
Took me four tries (mainly because I kept OOMing by try 9 in gold) but eventually I got it done. There really needs to be a "drink break" somewhere in there since you can't use mana pots.

I didn't have too much of a problem keeping the group alive, but usually at the end of a tough fight I can count on having at least a couple seconds break. I'm not really sure how I feel about not being able to drink. On one hand, a lot of people are seeming to not need one? On the other hand, I've always been able to count on being able to drink at the end of an encounter if I really do need it.

No one said anything about this during the PTR?
100 Blood Elf Priest
As a crit (not crit/haste) disc, I did find myself hitting some mana issues when I went into endless healer phase.

Spirit shelling on the occasions you need to, consumes far too much mana at the 463 ilevel for bender to overcome. I also trying popping archangel and immediately using my level 90 talent after and continuing to smite to reapply evangelism stacks.
I've decided to wait until I replace this gear and use this gear gemmed as I would if it was 463 gear, ie. SPIRIT & more spirit.

I also completed the "You're Doing it Wrong" as disc, and did tank bronze as disc (last wave silver death twice, dammit) so it's the not being able to drink that is the biggest difference in this setup. I only assume they made it so we (those of us who heal via dps) can't drink so we don't have an unfair advantage over those healers who don't dps. (Not that you don't, but that your dps doesn't cause healing. No offense intended.)
Edited by Phedrea on 9/11/2013 12:04 PM PDT
90 Draenei Priest
This is completely retarded. This thing favors other classes WAY more than Priest, simply because we don´t have any interrupts (other than fear, which is unreliable). I am on the gold run and everytime that caster add comes, he explodes the raid with some aoe ability that I can´t do anything about it. No wonder other classes are here saying it´s easy.

Completely retarded.
90 Night Elf Druid
I think monks will have a harder time with this then most other healers. for some reason when i heal with a crappy geared monk they just dont seem to do as well compared to other healers. From a resto druid PoV bronze silver and gold were all easy. Endless lets you drink every 10 waves but the dmg becomes insane later on. Took me 3 tries to get my endless wave 30 achievement.
64 Tauren Death Knight
This is completely retarded. This thing favors other classes WAY more than Priest

Which other classes have you tried it with?
(I can only see one other 90 on that account, so maybe you're over reacting a tad?)

Perhaps you should calm down, and go read some of the strats/advice being posted in the priest forum.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9882549449
90 Gnome Priest
Haven't managed to get Gold. I either OOM by wave 5 or can't keep up and have plenty of mana. Tried gemming straight spirit and that didn't work, either. No idea how to progress when the only way to keep up is by OOMing.
90 Blood Elf Priest
This sucks hardcore for holy priests. That is all.
100 Human Mage
I got it done in 4 tries. That hunter is an idiot.

I haven't even tried on my priest yet.. But can't you life grip him??? If he acts like that on my paladin when I get to the healing side of it... I think i'll throw my shield at him. :p
90 Human Priest
If you want to do it roll a druid. 14 of the top 20 scores in endless Gold are by druids.

Which other classes have you tried it with?
(I can only see one other 90 on that account, so maybe you're over reacting a tad?)

Perhaps you should calm down, and go read some of the strats/advice being posted in the priest forum.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9882549449

In the top 100 scores in healing endless, there are 2 priests.

The only conceivable way I could see even getting half as far as those two priests did is by crazy luck with the RNG.
Edited by Pelume on 9/12/2013 11:19 AM PDT
90 Gnome Priest
This is completely retarded. This thing favors other classes WAY more than Priest, simply because we don´t have any interrupts (other than fear, which is unreliable). I am on the gold run and everytime that caster add comes, he explodes the raid with some aoe ability that I can´t do anything about it. No wonder other classes are here saying it´s easy.

Completely retarded.

I had zero problem with getting gold. If anything, I felt it was too easy. I'm a holy priest. Holy is largely considered to be the underdog healing spec for priests. You're a disc priest. If I can do it as holy, you can do it as disc.

Or maybe disc is just completely gimped in the proving ground setting, in which case I recommend you try holy.
Edited by Vanarela on 9/12/2013 2:01 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]