5.4 Resilience - Who's in the boat with me?

90 Worgen Warlock
So, up until a couple days ago... ahem... I felt I could hold my own quite well in PvP, and be of slightly above-adequate general assistance to my battleground team as a formidable follower of Demonology, blasting things, CC'ing - the usual thing...

...And suddenly, my DPS has plummeted. It was then that I began to do some further reading into the patch notes. Now, I'm the kinda guy that hates to be blindsided, and I try to stay informed, but even so, World of Warcraft tends to be one of the last things I look in to, and often I forget about it entirely. But, I at least try to look into the notes for upcoming patches. Typically when I read patch notes, I only look at the section most relevant to me and what I believe to be most likely to change - my class section, the Warlock.

But this time, now quite curious, I looked at the PvP section...

72% base PvP resilience.

...Holy... schnitzengruben... What?! Up from 65%, which I recall thinking was incredibly high to begin with after being raised from, what - 30% before that?

I've been doing Battlegrounds for a couple of days thinking I was simply failing to adjust to the changes to warlocks until I took a close look at my combat log, my stats, and then read this.

I feel as if I'm in a little row boat throwing pebbles at other players, who happen to be in aircraft carriers. Although I also feel more durable - but what's the point if I can't damage anything?

I do not pay some fifteen bucks a month so I can be screwed with like this...

Please tell me I'm not the only one in a little row boat...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
You may think your in a rowboat, but to other people it feels like a Battleship.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
You're conveniently forgetting the battle fatigue change too. Blizz is still ever trying to prevent "globalling" people.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
You should reserve judgement until everyone's in full Grievous gear, because that's what the new resilience levels are balanced around.

Almost every spec has pretty weak damage at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Groovy...

So then, I suppose what begins now is yet another painful, irritating gear grind.

...Until the next season destroys all my work again.

What's the point...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
PVE heroes should not be able to compete on an equal footing as PVP'ers until they have earmed the right through time and money to get the right gear and enchants. This was only don't to stop the QQ of baddies.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
rogues will still die in a stun.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Meh...once everyone is in the new season gear we'll be back to square one.

TBH I find the current damage players are dealing to be pretty good. I don't see anyone dying incredibly fast in 1v1 or 2v1 scenarios. My only gripe is that healing is still too high...not by much mind you but some healers are practically in god mode right now.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
PVE heroes should not be able to compete on an equal footing as PVP'ers until they have earmed the right through time and money to get the right gear and enchants. This was only don't to stop the QQ of baddies.

I love comments like this. As if either side of the game is any harder than the other. Especially considering that you can effectively get PvP gear just by going into a random BG spend most of your time face planted upon the floor.

Mean while, in PvE you spend most of your time trying to down a boss. And while LFR is easy, the people you deal with in it make it a nightmare to get anything done. And you have to pray to the RNG gods for loot.

You say competitive PvP is harder than PvE? Ok compared to what? LFR? Normals and Heroics starts to get up to the same amount of "skill" needed in order to progress through it, however it is just a different skill set.

As to the changes that were put it. Yes it was to help the PvE community out to enter PvP. Why? Because PvP is more or less dieing participation wise within this game. Overly long ques and lopsided faction battles should attest to this.

As for World PvP. The horse is dead bro. Let it lie.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
The whole PVE vs PVP skill is a joke that PVPers spew when they don't have a clue.

Most of the people who got Glad in ICC's PvP season couldn't down LK heroic if they tried for months. Yet they sit and talk about "scripted dragon fights" when pvp has become far more scripted.

On the same page plenty of PVEers can't PVP to save their life either. Just as was said different skill set.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
rogues will still die in a stun.

Rogue complaining about stun. Now I've seen everything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Let's see if you will complain when I get this seasons full gear of pvp gear. I would safely say they did this in anticipating the new seasons pvp gear.
Edited by Déimos on 9/17/2013 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Groovy...

So then, I suppose what begins now is yet another painful, irritating gear grind.

...Until the next season destroys all my work again.

What's the point...

Are you new to this game?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Most of the people who got Glad in ICC's PvP season couldn't down LK heroic if they tried for months. Yet they sit and talk about "scripted dragon fights" when pvp has become far more scripted.

Forever this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

This is true, but I'd rather die quickly since I'm unable to kill even the worse pvp hero if they have pvp power. This 72% damage reduction just prolongs the inevitable, I got a 7.4k chaos bolt on a warrior last night, wtf am I going to kill with that lol.

Who cares if people wear raid gear in random Bgs, isn't like anyone cares if someone is wearing pvp gear in LFR.

Anyways, remove the damage reduction on PVE gear so us people who are not worthy to play random Bgs for fun can at least die faster. Bgs are by far the most un-fun and annoying I have ever seen them.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The increase in base Resilience in patch 5.4 is meant to counterbalance the fact that Resilience is no longer on gear (and thus does not increase as players gear up).

Prior to 5.3, players' survivability would naturally increase with gear. We didn't feel that that was creating an environment that would encourage undergeared players to continue playing, so in 5.3, we moved Resilience off of gear and increased base Resilience.

In Patch 5.4, we needed to do something similar. Since player power is still increasing as players collect more gear, we needed to once again increase base resilience to keep things from getting too out of hand. You'll still feel like your character is improving as you gear up, this just makes sure you don't improve to the point where you're able to kill someone before they have an opportunity to respond.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
The increase in base Resilience in patch 5.4 is meant to counterbalance the fact that Resilience is no longer on gear (and thus does not increase as players gear up).

Prior to 5.3, players' survivability would naturally increase with gear. We didn't feel that that was creating an environment that would encourage undergeared players to continue playing, so in 5.3, we moved Resilience off of gear and increased base Resilience.

In Patch 5.4, we needed to do something similar. Since player power is still increasing as players collect more gear, we needed to once again increase base resilience to keep things from getting too out of hand. You'll still feel like your character is improving as you gear up, this just makes sure you don't improve to the point where you're able to kill someone before they have an opportunity to respond.

Not really sure why better players still need better gear to kill worse players. Hmm.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

No, you(Blizzard) increased base resilience before anyone even had access to the new 522 PvP gear, which has created and will continue to create slow games where no one does any damage or healing.

Pvp is completely unbearable atm. If you had any common sense the resilience and battle fatigue changes would have occurred like the item level scaling is working atm where each week it got slightly higher, but instead the players have to suffer through ridiculously boring matches for a month or however long it takes them to get the full 522 pvp set.
Edited by Dolson on 9/18/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Tell me how long you'd play if your biggest nuke (starsurge) hit for 30-40k with full trinkets, engi gloves, and lightweave and DoTs ticking for 2k or less. This is a joke. (in pvp gear not what im logged in)

and class complaint time: please show me how to peel any melee class anymore. I die as soon as root DR is over and instant clone is gone, or in the case of rets and dks roots are useless. You gave every melee a million gap closers, presumably so they can actually touch a mage, w/o considering classes like druids and priests that have to sit there and eat the damage w/ no escapes. 30s blink for 2 gcds that doesnt break and cc? Just another season where you won't see a single balance druid in the ladder. 2.2 isn't even possible. Do you even try anymore to class balance? One extreme to another every season b/c you make big sweeping changes rather than small changes weekly.

Finally, I have been thoroughly enjoying the lovely pushback system that's about 5 years out of date. Against dk and hunter pets I have 3-4s wraths and 5second starfires. Things weren't bad enough already?
Edited by Dolson on 9/18/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]