Shaohao Rep Gain

(Locked)

100 Gnome Rogue
I wouldn't mind the grind if not for 10 thousand horde constantly ganking me. Is it possible to guest to a pve server and get my rep there or is it home base only?
90 Goblin Rogue
09/12/2013 01:40 PMPosted by Crepe
Does anyone even remember when WoW wasn't one giant participation award. When you had to earn your gear and you spent months trying to get anything achieved?

I did Timbermaw prior to any changes in rep reward. For something that basically awarded a silly trinket.

Doesn't mean it's a good mechanic.

Oh please. If you can't handle one old-fashioned rep grind, there are a dozen plus other MOP reps more up your alley. It's about time this game has another rep where your best bet is to get 5 friends together and commit genocide on some mobs for hours. THAT is what I have memories of in this game, not from doing dailies, by myself, every day.

And yes, I did Timbermaw and all the others in their day too. (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Cadusa/simple)
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
09/12/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Vixie
It should take months.

Why?

Seriously. I don't see a reason why this needs to be gated to this extent. The end result is just a mount.

There have been a lot of things in this expansion that have required time investment. Adding another at the end of the expansion doesn't make sense to me.
90 Night Elf Rogue

Thus taking 4~5 months on the daily alone. That's not too bad.

The Molten Core rep to exalted took me 6 months, many years after running that place at level. Doesn't matter what your gear is, the rep could only be earned once a week from boss kills alone.

This is like vanilla rep grind, for sure. Months, years of teeny weeny gains. I can .01-shot the mobs I need for Steamweedle rep but the mindless grinding gets to me quick. But at least the new Isle has an eventual goal (pets and stuff) and not just rep for rep's sake (/shakes fist at Rep achievements).

It should take months. These new gimmeh-right-now players need to learn some hard working dirty RPG grinding and toughen their gamer. I'm ready to work for my fluff rewards, these kids need to drop and give us 50.

Don't be wimps, get your game on.

I need 100% more of what you just said to happen in wow and its gaming populace.
90 Blood Elf Priest

But this particular grind is... well, a grind.

Legitimate question: How grindy should a rep grind for purely cosmetic items be?

Also keep in mind it's probably the last major patch. I'm not sure blizzard has really solved the whole problem of how to keep the last patch engaging while investing heavily (resource wise) on developing the next expansion. Maybe the new investments they've made will help in that area...

Not saying a rep grind should always be the hammer they reach for to keep players engaged, but it's certainly a factor.
Edited by Quorim on 9/12/2013 2:09 PM PDT
100 Orc Warrior
250 rep doesn't come close to cutting it, when there's a main quest that requires 9K.

More important than that are the two fundamental flaws with the idea;

-Grinding lots of mobs isn't difficult, just time-consuming. Locking something away behind a huge total number of play hours doesn't really benefit anybody. Least of all Blizzard, who are best served having daily/weekly content over stuff that can theoretically be blitzed in a day.

-Grinding lots of resources that everyone else wants to grind, now that does get trickier. When the point of a MMO is racing to beat everyone else to the tag, you make people look for ways around the MM part of the deal. Given all the energy focused on making the world feel fuller, anything that makes you wish other players weren't around is something that should have been caught when it was first suggested.
Blizzard Employee
Zarhym, you can do better than that... After I helped you find your body.

Hah!

Just for perspective, our intent with the implementation of this rep was to focus on the more difficult creatures on the island, as well as the ones that thematically are the most threatening to the island's residents.

It's definitely different from some of the more recent reputations added to the game, and harkens a bit more back to reps like Timbermaw or Hydraxian -- though we'd argue is still less painful.

Gaining Shaohao rep is largely for flavor and not something everyone is going to want, and certainly not need, to do. That said, we'll keep an eye on community progression and feedback, and make further adjustments if we feel it's necessary.
100 Human Mage
The rep grind is great. The daily boost from the quest, not so much. Yes, it will make it easier. That's why it's not good.

As it stands now this is a rep grind that encourages you to group up with people. It's similar to the 5.2 warbringers except that even blood death knights need a group to handle the tougher yaungol. At least I've not yet seen anyone soloing kilnmasters or high priests.

Everything about this rep grind is optional. If you really want the pet or the mount (which I do) you take the time to find people to grind them out. That's fine. If not, the island offers other activities.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Not enough npc's in that tiny zone also, single target classes like rogues should get more rep from a kill than say a hunter or a caster who can kill 5 at a time while I can only do one target at a time.

don't mind grinding but don't like having to fight for targets with casters who can target multiple npc's at once and I cant in a tiny little space.

Although having stealth I can at least hit one and be killing it while they attack it for 3 seconds not knowing I already tagged it first ... a little payback at least. But they still have the other 4 or 5 to deal with anyways I can have my one at a time.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
One hotfix we're applying that should help a bit:

Completing the daily quest "Path of the Mistwalker" now awards a player with 250 reputation with Emperor Shaohao.

I am afraid that is... Not enough. Suffice to say that 10-40 reputation, depending on difficulty of the Ordos in question killed, while all of these mobs are heavily farmed, will take... A considerably longer time than I am willing to invest.
55 Troll Death Knight
One hotfix we're applying that should help a bit:

Completing the daily quest "Path of the Mistwalker" now awards a player with 250 reputation with Emperor Shaohao.

The difference is laughable and won't change a thing.
90 Worgen Rogue
Well, it's a start.

God forbid some tasks take work for our menial reward.

There is a difference between "Work" and a Slow Tedious boring grind. Secondly it's a game, so if I wanted to work I would ... I don't know, go into work and do my Job?

Not enough npc's in that tiny zone also, single target classes like rogues should get more rep from a kill than say a hunter or a caster who can kill 5 at a time while I can only do one target at a time.

don't mind grinding but don't like having to fight for targets with casters who can target multiple npc's at once and I cant in a tiny little space.

Although having stealth I can at least hit one and be killing it while they attack it for 3 seconds not knowing I already tagged it first ... a little payback at least. But they still have the other 4 or 5 to deal with anyways I can have my one at a time.

Yeah, no that isn't fair for anyone but you and the melee. If they started doing that then all hell would break loose. Join a group with a hunter or mage and reap the benefits, don't go around asking to get rewarded more simply because you're melee.
Edited by Rammstine on 9/12/2013 2:12 PM PDT
100 Human Priest
I would not mind the grind if there were more things that awarded the rep. There are too many people and not enough npcs to kill for this to be an effective way to earn rep. It is an utter mess of frustration trying to get close enough to get a tag (to avoid the charge) while every other person in the area is trying to beat you to it. No thanks. Mount is not worth this.
100 Human Paladin

Gaining Shaohao rep is largely for flavor and not something everyone is going to want, and certainly not need, to do. That said, we'll keep an eye on community progression and feedback, and make further adjustments if we feel it's necessary.

Hmmm I'm glad I read this. I didn't realize the rewards were mostly vanity.
90 Blood Elf Priest

However long it may take, just don't make the ways to acquire rep a mindless grind of farming items or killing guys.

Are you more engaged by doing the same dailies every day (even when it's a x number picked from a pool of y possible dailies, you still get a lot of repeats) assuming they both take the same amount of time?

I personally don't have a strong preference, even though I don't really play roles well optimized for performing well in the isle sort of content (outside of a group, anyways). If you forced me to make a choice, I guess my preference would be group grinding > daily quest hub > solo grinding. If I enjoyed the damage dealing role more, that preference order might very well be different, though.

Obligatory disclaimer: I don't often go after cosmetic rewards.
100 Draenei Death Knight

Well, it's a start.

Hey, people want Vanilla back all the time, welcome Timbermaw grind 2.0!

In the midst of farming for the new glyphs, I described Timeless Isle as the result of Thunder Island and Vanilla WoW having a baby together. I still feel that way.

ಠ_ಠ
Edited by Typhanei on 9/12/2013 2:17 PM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
It's not the grind that's actually the problem, it's the fact that there are so many players competing for so few mobs, and you need so many mobs dead to achieve your goal.

All that would need to happen is for all Yaungol mobs to be shared tag, and the problem would self-solve. If I want to group up, it'll be for heroic scenarios, raids or dungeons. Having to group up just to have the slightest chance of achieving a rep grind in any reasonable timeframe is an unnnecessary burden.

Forcing people to type 'LFG Yaungols' and then wait for a right click -> Invite is not the same as 'social interaction', it's tokenism to the rose-tinted goggle brigade.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]