Shaohao Rep Gain

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Hunter
Seriously, whose the genius that thought that this was a good idea?

Everyone who says vanilla wow was the best
Too bad they were able to use marks for the hardest reputations to earn of all time. (WSG/AB) back in Vanilla. >.>

However, this faction is not a mandatory rep grind unless you're an achievement hunter or something and has no effect on how you gear up.

I'm Honored for the moment. It's just one of those factions you can take time working with, don't rush it or you'll just get burnt out sooner. I mean they could add that account-wide reputation boost like they did for the 5.0-5.3 factions.
Edited by Mauklindaufe on 9/24/2013 12:40 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Hunter
I've posted a few threads on the issues I have with the island, feeling forced to get lucky on the shrines to dead animals then hit chinese cows over and over and over again.
"fun and chalenging" mr blue poster.
Golden lotus had marginally more interesting carrot, same for isle of agro (of your a smith.)
Having my paw bashed and almost imposible to remove dents from my because a flaming cow can blow through multiple layers of defense is "fun".
What were you thinking and or drinking?

Ever heard of stand on a shrine for 5-10 minutes and ta-da? And even more so, ever heard of if you don't want to do that no one cares? You can't win Vs. EASY mechanics? These elites are supposed to be like this. Finally mobs that actually do something. Do you REALLY want every mob in this entire game to be tank and spank? I mean for christ sake MOVE! (PS, I'm serious, if you weren't so used to "tank and spank" you wouldn't have so much trouble moving out of !@#$)

Does no one get it yet? "QQ I hate dailies" Welcome to your World without dailies. Have fun!
90 Pandaren Hunter

However, this faction is not a mandatory rep grind unless you're an achievement hunter or something and has no effect on how you gear up.

^ Please for the love of the lord, what does this Island achieve for people? Free 496 gear for gearing your alts, A PvE rep grind for a mount and random worthless crap, and a PvP kill grind for another mount and more useless crap.

This entire Island is for people who want to grind. There is a PvP grind and a PvE grind all in one place. The monsters are designed to be taken down in a group. (Most of them are easily soloed though.) For those who DON'T WANT TO GRIND - You got your free epics now GTFO

UNDERSTAND & STOP COMPLAINING.

Go do something else. The entire World of Warcraft awaits you.
88 Human Paladin
The isle is a nice rough draft for future content. I like that grinding and playing rewards you, instead of things being gated behind dailies.

That being said, I hope in the future...the world itself has its own random events that can happen. People use to enjoy and want events in wow in the past, and being able to make the isle do random events in itself that can reward rep and such if people are on to catch it could be a nice touch.

I miss world events :(
90 Pandaren Monk
I miss world events :(

My idea of fun world event was the zombie invasion. Mostly because I'm intreguid by zombies and like gothic horor
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/15/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Milkbag
Gaining Shaohao rep is largely for flavor and not something everyone is going to want, and certainly not need, to do.

This is simply not true .How can they even post it?? You MUST gain Shaohao (what a stupid name) rep because IF you don't then you can't spend the valor point on the isle or buy anything until at least you are honored . So yes you NEED t do it , it's kinda a MUST thing.
And for a single player like me it will take forever and ever to gain rep if you get it this slow! Not everyone is in guild or raid group every day. Or any group really.
I don't want to spend that little play time what I have killing things on the isle one by one for months and then log out. I wonder who came up with this stupid idea...
90 Human Death Knight
Does anyone even remember when WoW wasn't one giant participation award. When you had to earn your gear and you spent months trying to get anything achieved? When I point these things out people will cry about they have a life or it shouldn't be fair only elitists get the best loot. The truth is that business model of making you work your butt off for gear was the best business model. There's a reason why participation was so high, why people treated this game like crack.
You keep crying for things to be "more accessible to the casuals," what you're really asking for is a trophy just for coming to the game. This attitude is exactly what you see in today's scoreless sporting events. "It should be fair for everyone!" really just makes for a mediocre experience and for mediocre players.
I'm not sure why I even posted this since the forum trolls will just break it down as they always do.
i love how you can make that jump from "things to be more accessible to the casuals" to "asking for is a trophy just for coming to the game". No one ever said anything remotely like that, if anyone is trolling it's you. speaking from the perspective of a "casual" player i don't have the luxury of a group or even a partner to grind these elite mob's, assuming i manage to tag one which isnt very likely with 50 people standing in the same spot then i have to somehow manage to kill the bloody thing by myself for like 9 rep? I have no problem with a challenge but a small area with very few hard to kill mobs in an area packed with people makes it a little ridiculous for someone working nights with 5 hours to play a week if im lucky. im a paying customer and there's many others in the same situation as myself, you don't think we are entitled to a bit of accommodation? not all of us can log 10 hours a day and be social enough to make strong ties in a guild or in chat.
I actually love the rep grind, sure its tedious but do it with friends or guildies have a skype chat with all of them, keep your eye open in /1 chat for a rare spawn, like who cares you don't get the shiny trinket of awesomness in 2 hours...its a game, seriously have none of you done the nagrand rep grind, probably not I dont see anyone running around on talbuk mounts anymore.

P.S I hate dailies, I cannot stand them at least there is stuff to do on the island then "mindlessly kill yanguol" all day.
90 Worgen Druid
Eh, I kinda like it

It'll make getting the golden serpent that much more awesome

I bet it'll be pretty rare, seriously can't wait to get mine
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I actually love the rep grind, sure its tedious but do it with friends or guildies have a skype chat with all of them, keep your eye open in /1 chat for a rare spawn, like who cares you don't get the shiny trinket of awesomness in 2 hours...its a game, seriously have none of you done the nagrand rep grind, probably not I dont see anyone running around on talbuk mounts anymore.

P.S I hate dailies, I cannot stand them at least there is stuff to do on the island then "mindlessly kill yanguol" all day.

I do have the talbuk from halaa , Im also a Diplomat did that grind too and others,but the grind there did not include killing elits all the time for like 9 rep/each .And there wasn't a bunch of other players around to pull like 5 more on you so you can die none stop. Or there is nothing to kill because everyone else is doing it .
Im talking for single players here ...
90 Goblin Shaman
09/12/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Zarhym
It's definitely different from some of the more recent reputations added to the game, and harkens a bit more back to reps like Timbermaw or Hydraxian -- though we'd argue is still less painful.

OK, let's argue.

I'm a bit disturbed by your company's about-face lately, trying to go back to an alt-unfriendly grindfest. Battlefield Barrens, grind, grind, grind. Achievement not account-wide (first non-account-wide achievement since Brawler's guild, with absolutely no reason other than just to make us grind more), so do the grind, grind, grind on all your alts!

Now, we grind, grind, grind mobs for Shaohao rep. Sure, there's now one daily, but it's still just one long, Classic-style grindfest. And the Bigger Bag achievement, have to collect all the items on a single character. Get some super-rare item on an alt, too bad, so sad. I know I'll never get the achievement because I got my Ruby Droplet on my hunter and I am not going through another week+ of camping one rare. And I'll likely never max my rep with Shaohao because I got my fill of grindfests eight years ago. I thought we'd moved past this kind of design.

I actually see the past two patches as steps backward on your guys' part.
90 Human Mage
I don't mind grinding for rep. I do mind that not every mob gives some rep and I do mind that the mobs that do give rep... give so little compared to the time and effort involved in killing them. I also mind that only about 25% of the island has mobs that give rep and thus competition for mobs is high.

Every mob on the island should give some rep even if its only 5 rep. The mobs that do give rep should give considerably more than they do based on the amount of effort required to kill them.

As it stands I do the one quest a day and I'll wait till the level cap is raised before I bother with this because the rate of acquisition compared to the effort involved is just not worth it right now. If you look at my reps and the age of my character you can tell I am no stranger to hard rep grinds.
Edited by Kyriani on 9/29/2013 11:04 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Well, it's a start.

But this particular grind is... well, a grind.

Hey, people want Vanilla back all the time, welcome Timbermaw grind 2.0!

Oh good god not another timbermaw like grind
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just don't understand why Ordos doesn't give any rep. He's the leader of the guys that are the biggest threat, he should be worth a couple hundred rep at least.
90 Undead Mage

Yes I remember it took me 3 weeks "back in the day" to get that rep, and then people complained about the 4 DAYS it took to get exalted with the Consortium in Burning Crusade.

The game benefits from having longer term goals to work towards, but the trick is to not put the carrot to far from the donkey (which is the mistake swtor makes)
90 Undead Mage
09/24/2013 12:40 AMPosted by Hazekiller
Do you REALLY want every mob in this entire game to be tank and spank?

YES!
90 Worgen Rogue

Oh good god not another timbermaw like grind

It's not really any better either. You have either a small area that players can solo, or a larger area full of group mobs. Both of which hit like trucks. At least the yeti village was decently sized, and the mobs were very easy to solo. About the same about of rep too per kill; 4-6 for the little guys, 14 or so for the medium guys and the 2 big guys that showed up was a whopping 22 rep per kill.

I'm not going to rip on Blizzard too much, but this was a bad move on their part. That is not one of the things even most of the staunch Vanilla lovers had missed. More than anything else, that's been my biggest complaint about the Isle.

I don't mind grinding for rep. I do mind that not every mob gives some rep and I do mind that the mobs that do give rep... give so little compared to the time and effort involved in killing them. I also mind that only about 25% of the island has mobs that give rep and thus competition for mobs is high.

Every mob on the island should give some rep even if its only 5 rep. The mobs that do give rep should give considerably more than they do based on the amount of effort required to kill them.

As it stands I do the one quest a day and I'll wait till the level cap is raised before I bother with this because the rate of acquisition compared to the effort involved is just not worth it right now. If you look at my reps and the age of my character you can tell I am no stranger to hard rep grinds.

This was the gist of my thread I made yesterday, including that idea. For now, only my main has been spending much time out there, and that's to finish the rep off. My shaman doesn't hang out there very much and I've stopped going on this toon, except for the obvious Celestial boss. Oh and the leather is very nice, so I spend a lot of time skinning out there.
One hotfix we're applying that should help a bit:

Completing the daily quest "Path of the Mistwalker" now awards a player with 250 reputation with Emperor Shaohao.

Yeah I'm thinking that should be buffed to 500, if not 1000. There should also be an increase in the actual rep you get from killing NPC's, because that 6/12 rep does NOT cut it.

The part where you said "That 6/12 rep doesn't cut it"... is true. You're right. But there's also the Killnmasters and Berserkers as well. Some of those will grant 18/24 rep per kill.

Agree with this.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]