Shaohao Rep Gain

(Locked)

The point of the island is to kill time and get back into the group experience. It also has parts for the solo person. No matter what bliz does people will cry about something. I like it I think it's a good idea. There are some Tweeks to be made but still fun to play. I'm sure on high pop servers it's a pain to get the kills so group up with them. Still get the same rep. Low pop servers are not being left out it, that's why they are connecting servers.
90 Undead Mage

Are you more engaged by doing the same dailies every day (even when it's a x number picked from a pool of y possible dailies, you still get a lot of repeats) assuming they both take the same amount of time?

I personally don't have a strong preference, even though I don't really play roles well optimized for performing well in the isle sort of content (outside of a group, anyways). If you forced me to make a choice, I guess my preference would be group grinding > daily quest hub > solo grinding. If I enjoyed the damage dealing role more, that preference order might very well be different, though.

Obligatory disclaimer: I don't often go after cosmetic rewards.

there is a big difference in the amount of time it takes you to farm the same amount of rep as you got with dailies .. at least with dailies, I could do it, then go on an alt if I wanted, or i could go do other things. With this, with all the competition, low amount of mobs, low rep, I have to spend 2, 3 times the amount of time to get the same amount of rep, which then means I cannot do other things (explore, rare farm, chest farm, pet tourney, etc) and it also makes it to where I will no way in hell want to do it on any alt.

The RoI is dismal
90 Human Hunter
I thought we were in MoP not vanilla, this rep gain just reeks of poor design and a cruel delight by its designers. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather have 5-10 dailies each day than mindlessly grinding these mobs that already have 4-8 people camping each spawn outside of the sanctuary.

I totally agree!!
90 Night Elf Druid
09/12/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Lorralei
I thought we were in MoP not vanilla, this rep gain just reeks of poor design and a cruel delight by its designers. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather have 5-10 dailies each day than mindlessly grinding these mobs that already have 4-8 people camping each spawn outside of the sanctuary.

I totally agree!!

Ask and you shall receive.
90 Troll Mage
09/12/2013 01:40 PMPosted by Crepe
Does anyone even remember when WoW wasn't one giant participation award. When you had to earn your gear and you spent months trying to get anything achieved?

I did Timbermaw prior to any changes in rep reward. For something that basically awarded a silly trinket.

Doesn't mean it's a good mechanic.

Timbermaw was an awesome trinket, and the best part was that you could be sure that you were the only person that had it. This patch will realistically last 10 months, I think it's a good thing that there's a rep that you can't get exalted to within a few days.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
09/12/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Zarhym
harkens a bit more back to reps like Timbermaw or Hydraxian

I haven't gotten far enough to grind this rep but... Let's just say this doesn't exactly set me to jumping up and down with excitement.

But we shall see.
90 Draenei Death Knight
I'm going to have to be totally honest:

I can't help but view Thunder Island, Battlefield Barrens, and Timeless Isle as being three parts in a continuing experiment. The player base (and thus, what is considered "fun") has changed a great deal over the course of WoW, which has required a lot of design changes, and design philosophy changes. Some of these have worked... others have not.

Given that, on the forums, it's pretty much guaranteed that someone (and usually several someones) are going to hate pretty much anything that goes into WoW, I figure what Blizzard is actually doing with Timeless Isle is seeing how long a grindfest leading to primarily cosmetic rewards will actually hold player attention; people on the forums may say just about anything, but gathered metrics indicating that after a couple months, Timeless Isle becomes a wasteland are a reasonably clear indication, should that occur.

Don't get me wrong, there are elements of Timeless Isle that I really don't care for (and about 5.4 in general), and others that I do like, but I'm less concerned about the specific details of a grindfest time-waster zone than about what the results of that zone will be on the rest of the game going forward. Specifically, I'm concerned about the abrupt (and to my mind, painful) shift back to having so much gear behind the RNG. Compared to that, an island full of things I occasionally have to think about how to kill is minor.
90 Tauren Paladin
One hotfix we're applying that should help a bit:

Completing the daily quest "Path of the Mistwalker" now awards a player with 250 reputation with Emperor Shaohao.

It's a start but I don't see "Kill 20 elites, get 250 rep" as that much of an improvement over "kill a guy with 700k hp that can kill you quite easily get 5 rep." Especially since the only elite Ordon (IE the ones you'd kill while doing the quest if you want Shaohao rep) will literally kill you in 2-3 spells.

The closest comparison we have currently is grinding Black Prince rep. You get 10 rep per kill of mobs that have half the health and deal significantly less damage than those Ordon. And you know what? That's a grind designed to gate the strongest cloak currently available. And Blizzard thought this was difficult enough to get an item significantly more valuable than anything Shaohao offers.

There need to be more ways to increase your rep with Shaohao, or they need to be significantly less difficult to kill to justify only getting 5 rep per kill. Because 5 rep per kill is what is expected from AoE-able groups. Make them have rather common turn-in drops, increase their rep value, add more dailies that allow you to gain rep in a different way, or lower their health/damage.

You're not "harkening back to Hydraxian Waterlords" or something. Because this is worse. This has no sense of progression. At least you cleared Molten Core when grinding Waterlords rep; with has nothing. And the fact that Shaohao offers nothing necessary does not justify a mountainous grind. That's a fallacy, and it's not even true in a sense that he offers the ability to exchange Valor for Coins at Honored.
Edited by Blockhêad on 9/12/2013 3:19 PM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
Battlefield barrens wasn't even content, it was an hour long quest chain and a weekly quest.
09/12/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Zarhym
It's definitely different from some of the more recent reputations added to the game, and harkens a bit more back to reps like Timbermaw or Hydraxian -- though we'd argue is still less painful.
I had an easier time grinding Timbermaw rep than this ridiculous rep. Hell, I have 60+ exalted reps and this is by far one of the worse reps to grind.
90 Night Elf Druid
Problem with isle:
- Too small. Too small. Too Small.
- Rares die too fast. Who made the typo when they put 2 million health on a rare? Seriously buff every single rare to 50-100 million or something. These things die in one global.
- Certain mobs don't spawn enough - increase spawn rates! This includes rares.
- Mobs don't drop gold ... why ?
- A certain sprite event is just bad design period...

Problem with whole expansion:
- Too much carrot on stick
Edited by Nightsbane on 9/12/2013 3:31 PM PDT
90 Worgen Mage
In regards to Shaohao rep grinding, it's going to be a lot tougher in a week or two when Bloody Coin groups take over. It's already starting to get that way.

The main changes I'd recommend are not gating the 496 teleport trinkets and VP coin dumps behind the rep. Everything else is fine, but those two things are kind of a big deal.

Also that 10k bloody coin title is nuts. Whoever completes that will be hated by everyone on the server by the time they finish that, lol.
Edited by Digerati on 9/12/2013 3:35 PM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
Posted by Zarhym
It's definitely different from some of the more recent reputations added to the game, and harkens a bit more back to reps like Timbermaw or Hydraxian -- though we'd argue is still less painful.

I had an easier time grinding Timbermaw rep than this ridiculous rep. Hell, I have 60+ exalted reps and this is by far one of the worse reps to grind.

Yep, I second this. Only reps I haven't maxed out at some point or other are the few PvP reps, and the one you need the junk boxes for.

I even did the acheve Shatt united, and THAT wasn't as bad as this.
90 Tauren Hunter
http://i.imgur.com/7wjYQPl.jpg

I had to raid last night, and my daily yesterday gave me no rep

Blizz, do not nerf this. It's time-consuming, it's optional.
90 Orc Warrior
- Too small. Too small. Too Small.- Rares die too fast. Who made the typo when they put 2 million health on a rare? Seriously buff every single rare to 50-100 million or something. These things die in one global.

This is only because everybody descends on them the moment the skull pops up on the map. It'll be different a few weeks down the line when population levels even out.

Shaohao rep grind, and the things gated behind Honored (coins for valor, Drive Back the Flame), will only let up a little. The basic ideas are intrinsically grindy. I'll be curious how many people press on to Revered or Exalted.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
What all you people that are complaining about seem to forget is this...........this really is TOTALLY optional you do not have to do it for any reason the rewards are purely cosmetic.

I'm aware it's optional.

The option seems unreasonably grindy at this point in an expansion to me.

The "you don't have to do it" isn't an argument as to why it's set up this way.
90 Draenei Paladin
The "you don't have to do it" isn't an argument as to why it's set up this way.

And as I said, I did Shatt united, I did pirate rep, I am grinding my goblin rep back up, I even did Shen'dralar rep. NONE of these were as bad as this grind is.
90 Worgen Mage
Yup, can't farm rep now at all. Only 48 hours in and bloody coin raids are taking over The Blazing Way
90 Troll Druid
Well, it's a start.

But this particular grind is... well, a grind.

God forbid some tasks take work for our menial reward.

yeah bruh, grinding mobs endlessly for a couple rep a pop is the epitome of fun.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]