Timeless Isle = Murder Island

100 Blood Elf Mage
Sorry, but I'm finding it really hard to enjoy the Timeless Isle. It just feels like a large murderbox, where you gradually farm coins... for stuff for your alts.

It seems so completely against the "Why do we fight?" philosophy of the Pandaren, to be told "just go out and kill all the things" for profit. At least we're not killing the four Pandaren Spirits, for them it's a trial or contest, but the entire rest of the Isle is just kill kill kill.

Sure, there are some chests to be found. And there are highly gimmicky pet battles (aka you must have the exactly right pets leveled to 25, sometimes duplicates). But it doesn't strike me as fun or exploration to find interesting cool stuff.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
My friends and I logged on the first night and...yay...new content! Yay chests! Yay, stuff to do.

The second night? "Uh, I guess we farm coins. Kill kill kill kill kill. Sigh. Want to do something else?

Blizzard, you can do better than this.
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
My friends and I logged on the first night and...yay...new content! Yay chests! Yay, stuff to do.

The second night? "Uh, I guess we farm coins. Kill kill kill kill kill. Sigh. Want to do something else?

What you're seeing is the response to the dailies backlash.

Still don't get why people are a-ok with a mindless grind at the Isle, but not ok with dailies. They're essentially the same bloody thing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
It's just a mob grind for catch up gear. Nothing spectacular.
Reply Quote
26 Undead Priest
1) Get alts to 480/496
2) Run one LFR Throne wing
3) Buy 522 Shado-pan stuff
4) This should definitely take you to 496, especially if you get some Throne drops
5) Never set foot on the Timeless Isle ever again

This can be done in two days, three if LFR is being derpy (which is understandable b/c of all the fresh 480's who are hopping in for the first time).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

Still don't get why people are a-ok with a mindless grind at the Isle, but not ok with dailies. They're essentially the same bloody thing.

My guess is that if you're above 535 iLvl on your main, it's really not difficult at all to chain kill things on the Isle. But it gets old -real- quick IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like having the ability to get upgrade gear for my alts. But this is a really grindy, incredibly dull way to get it.
Edited by Elenaril on 9/12/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Now think about doing this for the next X amount of months................
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight

My guess is that if you're above 535 iLvl on your main, it's really not difficult at all to chain kill things on the Isle. But it gets old -real- quick IMO.

Depends on your server, whether or not its PVP and your side is outnumbered.

On mine, Alliance...yeah, good luck. There was a tentative sort of peace on the first day, but ever since, open season. Not complaining (much), mind, I rolled PVP, I knew what I was getting into.

But it does make me like the Isle even less, not able to get anything done, period.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Depends on your server, whether or not its PVP and your side is outnumbered.

On mine, Alliance...yeah, good luck. There was a tentative sort of peace on the first day, but ever since, open season. Not complaining (much), mind, I rolled PVP, I knew what I was getting into.

But it does make me like the Isle even less, not able to get anything done, period.

Ah, true. I've never leveled on a PvP server, I just don't like "open season" griefing. But you're right, on a PvP server it would be quite hard to get anything accomplished on the Isle.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Rogue

^^This^^

The Isle is essentially for speed-gearing alts in a way that replaces the old grind of LFD instances when no one wants to anymore with a new grind -- there's that at least. All those who were complaining about playing "catch up" on gear should find this place a nice oasis in the storm. Just laze around smacking stuff and fill up on gear.

And even if some think there's no immediate benefit, think of all the alts you can get 496+ gear for -- just waiting for them to ding 90? Assemble a large set for an alt, mail it to them shortly before they ding 90. The instant they get it, they pop this stuff on before they even reach Pandaria and BAM! they blaze through leveling like a dose of the salts...

It all seems a win to me... some people will just QQ about anything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Yep, I thought the exact same thing OP. I find the whole point of the Isle contradictory towards the whole Pandaria story. I'm also sure I'm not going to be doing the Isle for very long, it gets boring pretty quickly. Even though dailies are repetitive, at least there's a set goal each time you grab a quest. I was never one for mindless grinding.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
So it begins.

Don't like dailies, then here - go kill stuffs. Oh, kill grinding is boring?!? No way! Didn't you play all those RPGs and Pokemons where you had to grind grind grind to level? Didn't you loooove it?

So what DO you want to do? Log in and fall into a surprise new gear Goodwill dumpster?

Why are you playing this game?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
So it begins.

Don't like dailies, then here - go kill stuffs. Oh, kill grinding is boring?!? No way! Didn't you play all those RPGs and Pokemons where you had to grind grind grind to level? Didn't you loooove it?

So what DO you want to do? Log in and fall into a surprise new gear Goodwill dumpster?

Yeesh, talk about completely missing the point.

There are ways to make fairly grindy things feel interesting, fun, and have meaning. The first landfall questline was pretty grindy as dailies usually are - but they were a BLAST, really fun, and really meaningful, I thought. For the most part, everyone loved them even though they were dailies. Blizzard proved that they could integrate meaning, fun, and daily questing.

This new island is just repetitive murder-kill-destroy for coins, and that seems to go against the entire philosophy of the Pandaren people. This is meaningless fighting for simple profit.

And absolutely I think it's nice to have a method to rapid-gear one's alts, if you don't want to put all of them through endless LFRs. But in no way was I or anyone else asking for welfare upgrades. I was hoping that it would be, you know... fun. What is it that I'm accomplishing here, other than killing things? There's no meaning, no purpose, other than grinding to upgrade alts.
Edited by Elenaril on 9/12/2013 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I absolutely love being destroyed in PVP by people wearing PVE gear. Nice job Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

With the exception of the legendary cloak, you don't have farm coins to be optimal in PvE.

(Plus they added a bunch of quests which makes getting the 5k coins for cloak way, way easier).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I'm not taking sides here, but they're really not. You can farm as much or as little stuff on the isle at any given time, the rep can't be conceived as necessary in any way, and the work you put in on your main will go toward your alts.

Dailies gate you in two ways - they gate you chronologically, and they gate you behind rep. Aside from the bonus rep mechanic at revered, dailies on one character also won't contribute to the progress of another.

So it begins.

False binary.
Edited by Lmcm on 9/12/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
Ah, true. I've never leveled on a PvP server, I just don't like "open season" griefing. But you're right, on a PvP server it would be quite hard to get anything accomplished on the Isle.

Sometimes I regret it, I'll admit. I rolled on my server all the way back at release, and I've been there so long, I just can't imagine moving elsewhere. Plus moving my characters would cost a good amount, so yeah, I'll deal with it.

It just means its exceedingly difficult with new content at times, though. Plus side, we managed to organize enough to down some of the celestials on release, so I have my legendary cloak, so I really don't need to schlep my way back there again, if need be, heh.

The Isle is essentially for speed-gearing alts in a way that replaces the old grind of LFD instances when no one wants to anymore with a new grind -- there's that at least. All those who were complaining about playing "catch up" on gear should find this place a nice oasis in the storm. Just laze around smacking stuff and fill up on gear.

And even if some think there's no immediate benefit, think of all the alts you can get 496+ gear for -- just waiting for them to ding 90? Assemble a large set for an alt, mail it to them shortly before they ding 90. The instant they get it, they pop this stuff on before they even reach Pandaria and BAM! they blaze through leveling like a dose of the salts...

It all seems a win to me... some people will just QQ about anything.

Its good for gearing alts, but in a way I feel its too easy, as silly as that may sound. I just have to scroll through my guild's news feed and see the sheer amount of epics being looted. At least with new 5-mans it isn't as fast.

I think there is a happy medium to be found, honestly. The problem with Blizzard is that they swing too far one way or the other. They swung overly much into dailies, then swung overly much into non-dailies. If there was a happy medium, pairing the fun parts of 5.1 with the open isle roaming of the Timeless Isle, that'd be perfect. Least for me, anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
09/12/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Elenaril
There are ways to make fairly grindy things feel interesting, fun, and have meaning. The first landfall questline was pretty grindy as dailies usually are - but they were a BLAST, really fun, and really meaningful, I thought. For the most part, everyone loved them even though they were dailies.

You didn't browse the general forums, did you? There were plenty of QQ threads about having another round of dailies, even though they obviously had more meaning behind them.

Also, the island is what you make of it. A group of us farm coins, rares, and PVP around the island. I can see the frustration if you run out of things to do, but as with everything else in this game, it's what you make of it. If you don't raid, like to PVP, explore, occasionally die for some stupid reason, or by and large don't like anything lacking a purpose, then I can see why the Timeless Isle is not for you. I personally love this island, with the exception of how the Bloody Coins get distributed, but it's whatever.
Edited by Febreeze on 9/12/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
09/12/2013 01:11 PMPosted by Awkwardz

With the exception of the legendary cloak, you don't have farm coins to be optimal in PvE.

(Plus they added a bunch of quests which makes getting the 5k coins for cloak way, way easier).

True enough. I don't honestly mind being sub-optimal (not like I ever actually go to normal raids, I'm happy with LFR), but part of me wants to spend time there since its new and it'll keep me busy.

But then its an abattoir and I can't do anything, so I just go back to milling about elsewhere. Its a bit dispiriting, honestly.

I'd like to stress, this is not really a complaint about PVP. Again, I rolled here, I know what I got myself into, I accept it, and at times I even enjoy it. But it also is tiring at times.

I just wish Blizzard had some dailies like 5.1's. But the quest team has mostly moved on to the next expansion, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]