Ret paladins

90 Undead Priest
How are Ret paladins now in PvE? I remember they always used to be "blah" dps.
Are they still the same? I used to play my ret competitively in PvP back in late BC/WotLK, and I really just wanted to know if it's worth making him my main for pve ( since shadow priests suck in pve, once again :( ).
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks ahead of time! :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
LFM
we are ok, you need to go to noxxic or a similar site and read up, we don't play anything like wrath or even cata, this last patch at least for my gear level has buffed my single target dps by about 20k,but keep in mind i'm lazy and don't keep up an optimum rotation and i'm not spec,gem,etc for max output either, ret being different from when you last played is still fairly simple to play, we have a ramp up time before you pop cooldowns but we have the potential to do crazy burst damage that tapers off, if you want to play a melee class or your just looking for a change i'd say go for it, I think pallys are just above the middle of the pack for real world dps, checking out noxxic.com can give you a better idea of where we stand if they've updated their dps class standings to the new patch yet,i've been a paladin since I started playing in TBC and though I don't think we are in the best position we've ever been in I think we are viable as we are and kinda fun to play, hope this info helps and make sure to check out noxxic,they have the best resources on classes that I've seen so far
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
noxxic,they have the best resources on classes that I've seen so far

That's bull!@#$ and you know it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9753545568
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
LFM
09/12/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Maebyfunke
noxxic,they have the best resources on classes that I've seen so far

That's bull!@#$ and you know it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9753545568

I've used the sites listed at the bottom of the post, I've found noxxic to have everything I need to know, and its easy to find, also from the players post I didn't get the idea that they were a bleeding edge progression raider so sites like elitist jerks would most likely be overkill, and to finish, is it really necessary to swear at me and take a hostile position because I have a difference in opinion
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ret overall is in a pretty good spot. We are not top of the meters DPS but we hold our own.

The RET play style is a lot better than it has been its not nearly as clunky as it used to be
I would look to icy-veins.com for help noxxic is a decent site but there info is off of the mark.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
09/12/2013 10:41 PMPosted by Wraithguard
is it really necessary to swear at me and take a hostile position

If you're recommending Noxxic, yes. That site is, and always has been, terrible.
Reply Quote
09/12/2013 11:05 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
is it really necessary to swear at me and take a hostile position

If you're recommending Noxxic, yes. That site is, and always has been, terrible.

I've been using Noxxic since I got the account reupped about 4 months ago and I think I've done pretty well (helps that... everything is handed out like candy now [and I've not actually raided yet, I think]) but for a casual I think Noxxic's alright. Been using that and Icy veins when I need to go really in depth.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

I've been using Noxxic since I got the account reupped about 4 months ago and I think I've done pretty well (helps that... everything is handed out like candy now [and I've not actually raided yet, I think]) but for a casual I think Noxxic's alright. Been using that and Icy veins when I need to go really in depth.

except being grossly over expertise cap, and still gemming it over str and haste? :P
Edited by Braydrel on 9/13/2013 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Icy veins when I need to go really in depth.

Can't help but laugh at that. IV is much better now than it was several months back, and I think I may have had an indirect hand in that. I still have quibbles with a few things there, but it's currently in a very decent state.

Also, in looking at Noxxic right now, it is still verybad; there's a lot there that is just flat-out wrong - rotation, some of the gemming, the spec (debatable). I wish there was a way to close that site down for all the misinformation it's spread over the years.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
09/12/2013 10:20 PMPosted by Wraithguard
we are ok, you need to go to noxxic

Going to be honest, I stopped reading at noxxic. There is so much better info out there browsing mmo-champ, Elitist Jerks, even these forums at times... Noxxic has some dead wrong crucial information; hell even Icy Veins is better.

On a side note, ret is I would say the strongest it's ever been at this point in time. Far better than "ok". I recently took advantage of the timeless isle and geared up my 2nd ret, fresh 90 to 515 ilvl in 15 hours played at 90; highly recommend doing so.
Edited by Filfa on 9/13/2013 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Ret's been good all xpac, and just got better with the patch. Glyph of Inq on add fights is hilarious.
Reply Quote
except being grossly over expertise cap, and still gemming it over str and haste? :P

Expertise was because of the 535 belt I picked up because of BoE last night. Was still at hit when I started chaining some dungeons.. meh xD

Gems though? Not sure what it is I'm supposed to do at this point. Been rolling with mrrobot's recs for a while. (I am a casual so)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
09/13/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Vakama
Been rolling with mrrobot's recs for a while.

Askmrrobot is kind of !@#$ty for ret. Fierce (str/haste) for red sockets and reforging for any expertise you need is better.

If you want an easy, low fuss way to reforge, use something like Reforgelite. Set it for 7.5% expertise and hit, and you should be good to go from there. It even has a module to do the reforging for you if you're at the npc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
(I am a casual so)

There that word goes again!! Even if you're not raiding, you should read up on some guides unless that character is just a farmer.
Reply Quote
What's so bad about Noxxic and mrrobot and all of these websites?
It always, always feels like there's a dominating opinion about "which one is better" regardless of which one you use.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
09/13/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Vakama
What's so bad about Noxxic and mrrobot and all of these websites?

Also, in looking at Noxxic right now, it is still very bad; there's a lot there that is just flat-out wrong - rotation, some of the gemming, the spec (debatable).

And this isn't even the first time it's been wrong; I remember in Cata it was horrendous, too.

As to AMR: it's a tool, not a guide. The value of it comes from using it correctly - making sure you find the "Force Caps" box and check it, setting your proper content, preferably using custom stat weights based on your own individual gear set, etc. In the end, AMR is only as good for you as you are at using it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Noxxic has things that are blatantly wrong, they're wrong based on any method of theory that has ever been put up. It frequently has gemming recommendations that are wrong, at current says that speed of light is the L15 talent to take, and has exorcism above judgment in our priority. Mostly, when you go to noxxic and look at a spec, it shows you a flawed dps ranking.

Robot tends to be buggy and sometimes has odd weights set as their standard.

Icy Veins just has complete randomness for their gear guides.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
at current says that speed of light is the L15 talent to take

To be fair, I've been finding plenty of encounters where that talent is useful. There's definitely not hard and fast "always take this every fight" talent.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It doesn't on its own, but it does conflict with their boot enchant listing. If you don't have PoJ, you need the mastery/run enchant. Which basically every other guide tells you; your L15 talent influences what you do with your boots.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
speed of light

To be fair, I've been finding plenty of encounters where that talent is useful.

I've only found one, Ji-kun; Long Arm serves me quite well in all other situations.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]