TradeSkill hyperlink usability degraded

(Locked)

90 Draenei Shaman
The format and implementation of TradeSkill hyperlinks (eg [Enchanting]) has undergone a massive change in 5.4. In layman's terms, the "recipe data" is no longer contained in the hyperlink itself, but is now fetched from the server when you click the link, based on the embedded GUID (character ID).

There are several significant drawbacks to the new implementation, which adversely impact the utility and usability of TradeSkill hyperlinks. Most notably, TradeSkill hyperlinks can only be opened if the character GUID embedded in the link has already been encountered by the client during the current login session. This has a number of significant negative implications:

1. You can only open TradeSkill hyperlinks from characters that you are grouped with, chatting with or standing near in the game world. Any attempt to open links obtained via other means will silently fail.

2. For example, this means that if player A whispers his TradeSkill link to player B, and player B whispers it to player C, then player C will be unable to open that link unless he has also directly "encountered" player A during the current session.

3. In particular and more annoyingly, you can no longer open tradeskill links for your ALTS (eg saved by an addon or even "whispered back" to you from another player), because the characters on one account never directly "encounter" each other in the game world. Nor can you whisper a working link for your alt's tradeskill to another player, unless that other player has already encountered your alt during his current login session.

4. It's no longer possible for addons to forge an "all recipes" TradeSkill hyperlink that can be clicked to open a tradeskill window containing every available recipe

5. It is now possible to forge links that "spy" on the TradeSkill recipes of any character you encounter in the game world. It was already possible to see any character's trade recipes via battle.net, but now it can be easily done with a macro directly in-game.

These are all regressions in behavior relative to 5.3, and represent a significant degradation in the usability and utility of TradeSkill hyperlinks. It has a side effect of breaking certain addons (notably ProfessionsVault), but more importantly TradeSkill hyperlinks are now far less useful than they used to be, even with no addons at all. Please consider rolling back this terrible change, or fixing the implementation to address some of the drawbacks listed above.

There's an addon developer discussion on this issue with full details here:

http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?p=326695

This thread was started on the PTR Bug Forum, the old thread is here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9792850085

EDIT: Blizzard has finally acknowledged the problem (later in this thread). Still no ETA on a fix.
Edited by Ashel on 9/13/2013 3:42 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
I like it when I log on my alts to do daily cooldowns and get stuck on retrieving for 10 minutes. When I have 40 latency. Neat game.
90 Tauren Druid
I do miss my PV. Alt-o-holic here. Being able to check my list for friends, guild or /2 was nice. now I have to either log the alt, or dig through the guild profession list.
90 Night Elf Druid
Supporting this. I like profession vault a lot. I can't count how many times i'm questing with friends and a BoE pattern drops. We both check out PV and see who has or doesnt have it.

This addon is a staple in my WoW gameplay.
90 Draenei Paladin
This drawback definitely needs fixing. PV is a terrific addon. Wonder when a Blue will respond to this thread....
90 Tauren Druid
Blue reply would be nice.
90 Orc Hunter
Would sincerely like a blue response; miss functionality and overall usefulness use of tradeskill hyperlinks notably Profession Vault.
90 Tauren Hunter
I really hope that a blue will reply and this issue will be taken care of.
I love PV and what it can do for my alts, friends and myself.

Please fix this Blizzard!
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm obsessed with knowing recipes on all my alts to provide a source of crafting for all of my friends and guildies, so Profession Vault is neigh on a necessity for me. I'd appreciate someone taking these posts into consideration and returning links to their former state. Rarely do I take the time to even bother with posts like these, but PV is one of the very very few addons I use.

Most of the time, upset players will simply berate and complain demanding a fix. But as you can see, the majority of the people commenting here are simply arguing their point and requesting action.

Hopefully a blue post will be forthcoming.

Thanks for taking the time to read our frustrations.
90 Gnome Rogue
Typical Blizzard fail. Change something that makes the game worse for everyone without justification or explanation. And the subscriptions keep on decreasing...quiet, geniuses at work...
90 Draenei Mage
I agree this needs to be changed back! Make the game better by keeping some of the stuff we can use.
90 Human Paladin
I also support and request documentation from Blizzard.
90 Undead Warrior
I normally don't state my opinions on add-on threads, and let Blizzard break what they deem worthy of breaking -- simply changing my play style to accommodate them. However, for this, I fail to see any reasonable explanation for the change that -- even without addons like Profession Vault -- makes tradeskill hyperlinks less accessible.

Please, Blizzard, revert this.
90 Night Elf Druid
Agreed. I depended quite a bit upon this addon. Was very helpful when grabbing mats from a bank alt or simply being able to look at what gems, enchants, inscription items, etc that were out there when upgrading a piece of gear. As per with most of Blizzard's haphazard changes, I am greatly curious why this was changed. Wasn't broke.
42 Undead Warrior
I would chime in here too and nod to Mogorain's post above. I often encounter, especially at lower population times, someone in trade needing a specific profession and no one answering. I could previously link my alts profession(s) and let them see if I had what they were looking for and then log over and make it for them.

Would love to see at least an acknowledgement that this is creating issues for players. I would enjoy it even more if it could be addressed and reverted to how it was prior to the release of 5.4 patch.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I said before, Blizz needs to include addon developers in the loop when they're finalizing a patch or Xpac so the addon developers can have updates to their respective addons ready to DL when the patch or xpac drops so people don't have to suffer regression and loss of addon functionality for a week to a month while the addon developers try to play catch up.

Now it loox like they need to actively involve the developers in the patch development process to get usable feedback to avoid breaking popular addons.
90 Blood Elf Mage
I could go on, and on, about the depth of usability lost with these changes but I'm sure any Blue reading this knows all about it already.

So, I'm just adding my voice to the crowd. I miss the old links!
90 Troll Warlock
Adding my support to this post. Posts made by Mogorain, Drkestshadow and Feelia above cover they why.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Adding my voice to the subject. I'd like a reversion for the reasons stated above. Oh, and Kelkan, you're rude.
90 Draenei Shaman
I said before, Blizz needs to include addon developers in the loop when they're finalizing a patch or Xpac so the addon developers can have updates to their respective addons ready to DL when the patch or xpac drops so people don't have to suffer regression and loss of addon functionality for a week to a month while the addon developers try to play catch up.

Now it loox like they need to actively involve the developers in the patch development process to get usable feedback to avoid breaking popular addons.

The central issue here has nothing to do with addons. Patch 5.4 has fundamentally broken TradeSkill hyperlinks and made them far less useable than in 5.3, even without any addons at all. A side-effect of this bug is that it also effectively breaks utility addons that help you link your alts professions, but there's nothing the addon could do to fix the fundamental brokenness of the Blizzard hyperlinks.

As mentioned in the OP, addon devs have been aware of this incoming problem for over a month, and reported it to Blizzard via the PTR bug report forum (where it received no response).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]