Proving Ground's NPC party is horrid...

I'm actually legitimate annoyed right now. Still had 3 flamecallers up from wave 8 entering wave 9 which isn't so bad, I like a challenge. But I got to wave 10, down to the conqueror left and I thought I was home free. Next thing I know we're entering the 15 second drink/rest phase and this conqueror is still at 30% health. He was still up when wave 11 spawned. What an absolute joke.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wasn't testing this on the ptr, but could the wave timers been shortened by any chance?
Reply Quote
I wasn't testing this on the ptr, but could the wave timers been shortened by any chance?

I'm sure everyones posting about it but the main issue is that the NPCs no longer use aoe abilities after a hotfix and they never time warp either. Their dps is much lower than before and you are not meant to have waves pile up like they are. Currently it's a massive waste of time to do endless healer until these bugs are fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'd kill just to have them use my damn orbs. So sick of having a mastery that literally does *nothing* in Proving Grounds. I just stare in anger at the 30+ orbs sitting unused when my party wipes.

This is an issue and I'm glad you said something. We aren't exactly using our mastery to our full potential. Proving Grounds Proves That Anyway, much luck to you. So much Endless fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/16/2013 03:16 AMPosted by Katji
I'd kill just to have them use my damn orbs. So sick of having a mastery that literally does *nothing* in Proving Grounds. I just stare in anger at the 30+ orbs sitting unused when my party wipes.

This is an issue and I'm glad you said something. We aren't exactly using our mastery to our full potential. Proving Grounds Proves That Anyway, much luck to you. So much Endless fun.

I took my other healers through Proving Grounds (working on gold on them atm) and this is the pic I took on my mistweaver. I posted it to my guild forums so that the other folks who play mistweavers can cry.

http://tinyurl.com/klfzlpw

And that was wave 6/8 on Silver. IT JUST GOT WORSE.
Edited by Rhianon on 9/16/2013 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Honestly, if you can do gold in proving grounds, you don't need to be doing proving grounds, you need to be in a heroic raiding guild.

Maybe that's how it's designed:

Bronze: You're ready for LFR and flex (to actually contribute to them, not just be carried)
Silver: You're ready for normals
Gold: You're ready for heroics
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I didn't do any interrupting, ccing, or damage control on my attempt where I got gold. I just played super conservative with my mana and made good use of cooldowns, particularly ironbark and innervate. I also used a spirit flask.

I lucked out and the fire stuff didn't land on anyone but the melee and they moved out of it to chase another npc.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
09/16/2013 08:59 AMPosted by Calonderiel
Honestly, if you can do gold in proving grounds, you don't need to be doing proving grounds, you need to be in a heroic raiding guild.

Maybe that's how it's designed:

Bronze: You're ready for LFR and flex (to actually contribute to them, not just be carried)
Silver: You're ready for normals
Gold: You're ready for heroics

LOL

No. It really doesn't work that way. It's so RNG it's not even funny.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
None of the situations in PGs are realistic....it doesn't teach you anything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PGs is !@#$ing nonsense. All it "proves" is that every aspect of this game is based on RNG.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't mind the mobs being stupid. What I do mind is that the damage intake is so random. In a real group, even a bad group I don't have to worry about every player every second. I worry about myself, and maybe one "problem child." If the tank doesn't take care of himself (a little) that's his problem.

Unfortunately, in PG's there is no tank. They're all DPS spec NPCS. VuhDo shows Oro as a Damage Dealer, even though he's a "tank."

With no tank, we get bouncy aggro, which results in wasted mana. At 463, the amount of mana it takes to heal, is a matter of efficiency. They don't kill fast enough, nor do they self reduce their damage intake like any kind of smart player.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I took my other healers through Proving Grounds (working on gold on them atm) and this is the pic I took on my mistweaver. I posted it to my guild forums so that the other folks who play mistweavers can cry.

http://tinyurl.com/klfzlpw

In Gold I had enough to make a freaking swimming pool.

Yeah, mistweavers are kind of weird in this. While half* of our stuff doesn't work we're still not that bad. I mean at least we aren't priests.

*Half being an exaggeration for effect

With no tank, we get bouncy aggro, which results in wasted mana. At 463, the amount of mana it takes to heal, is a matter of efficiency. They don't kill fast enough, nor do they self reduce their damage intake like any kind of smart player.

I never saw any actual agro loss when I did them late Wed I think. I wonder if they broke something else with the last hotfix.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I will tell you this, I have a much easier time on my Druid.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Party members that don't interrupt, don't move out of fire, don't use personal cooldowns, and can't kill enemies as fast as they're supposed to? It's actually the most realistic situation I can imagine, for a while I thought I was with real people.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
09/17/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Mooniverse

Party members that don't interrupt, don't move out of fire, don't use personal cooldowns, and can't kill enemies as fast as they're supposed to? It's actually the most realistic situation I can imagine, for a while I thought I was with real people.

It's absolutely not realistic. Because in a realistic situation, I would vote to kick the people who apparently have no clue how to do their job.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You all need to stop QQ-ing. I dont want them to nerf the proving grounds, I love the difficulty. SO STOP!
Reply Quote
and you summon little smart healing spheres that are great for managing burst dmg?

oh and you have paralysis too? a type of spell that no mob has resistance to?

Except THEY DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SPHERES AND THERE'S NO TIME TO KEEP SPAMMING THE SPAMMABLE ONES UNDER THEM. Once in a while I get lucky and the mastery spheres explode from expiring during a high aoe damage mob pack.

Paralysis breaks with damage. The stupid rogue goes out of her way to immediately run to any npc the player cc's and starts beating on it. That's if the mage or hunter doesn't beat her to it from range.

You all need to stop QQ-ing. I dont want them to nerf the proving grounds, I love the difficulty. SO STOP!

I don't want them to nerf the proving grounds. I want the group to use the abilities that come with their classes. I want them to move out of aoe. I want them to not home in on player CC like it's hurting them since they aren't going to use their own CC. I want the tank to use warrior defensive moves. That's fixing the AI. Fixing things that are broke or subpar is not a nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Oh, if only...

I finished Gold, but can only reach around wave 4 or 5 in Endless. Pretty nightmarish. I still don't think I'm ready for Heroic Raiding, though.

A bit about me: I'm not the type of player who runs to Noxxic or Icy-veins. I tend to examine all of my stats, and shape them to fit my healing style. I figure out what works for me.

I absolutely love the Proving Grounds. My situational awareness increased exponentially, and my healing effectiveness doubled by the time I adapted to the rigors of Gold. The PGs broke me out of the habit of expecting all the damage to go to the tank, while I sit half-asleep at my keyboard reading a book during raid night.

The NPCs used to make me angry, too, though. But, I found a great method to cope with it, and it truly helped me pass the Gold level. Maybe it'll help you too.

Just say to yourself "Okay... The Rogue broke my CC, the hunter's standing in fire, and the mage is running out of range of my AOE heals. The tank has the damage mitigation of a wet paper towel. I guess Blizz designed them to act like real players". You'll laugh a bit, smile, and then you can take the failures in stride.

On a more serious note, break out of your shell, and try new things. Change up your spell priorities. Keep an eye on the number value of the target's health, and cast a heal based on that, not based on the length of the green bar. Don't be afraid to use your cooldowns early. Add supplemental DPS to the fight (moonfire, SW:P, Flame Shock, etc). Use efficient AOE to top off the party, even when the tank is low, so you can react quickly to the bleed debuff.
Edited by Riverbreak on 9/17/2013 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
and you summon little smart healing spheres that are great for managing burst dmg?

oh and you have paralysis too? a type of spell that no mob has resistance to?

Except THEY DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SPHERES AND THERE'S NO TIME TO KEEP SPAMMING THE SPAMMABLE ONES UNDER THEM. Once in a while I get lucky and the mastery spheres explode from expiring during a high aoe damage mob pack.

Isn't that what happens in real raids, too? I have a Mistweaver Monk on my "vacation" server. I'm probably not nearly as good with it as you are. But, I don't mind saying that in a raid situation when I'm playing my monk, I never see players run through my healing orbs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]