Proving Ground's NPC party is horrid...

90 Draenei Priest
I think Blizzard did a marvelous job of making these NPCs behave like the majority of players. The rogue doesn't interrupt squat and seems to go out of his way to break CC, the warrior tank is trying to raid with his fresh level-cap greens and hasn't figured out how to keybind his abilities (much less figured out what his defensive cooldowns are), and the hunter just stands there auto attacking. At least the mage -doesn't- pop every cooldown each wave and get splattered before Oto even targets a mob (which never seems to be the most threatening one. I love how they leave the AoE casters til last).

Heh, yep! I mutter to myself every single time I'm doing the Endless on my Shaman, and sometimes find myself yelling at them as if they'll move, forgetting they're NPCs. XD

It's fun in an irritating way!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I've been trying to do Gold on my disc priest. I'll readily admit I'm not the most amazing healer ever, but if they were actual people in the group, they'd be way more useful.

I don't really have any CC, except for Dominate Mind, which doesn't work, and Psychic Scream, which is immediately broken.

Meanwhile, the mage doesn't counterspell. The hunter doesn't trap. The rogue does kick (yay, one of 3 interrupts actually getting used!), but the tank doesn't bother to pick up any casters. (And what is the tank, a warrior? Pretty sure he doesn't know how to use spell reflect.)

I get that it's a test of the healer, not the NPCs, but the two are interlinked. Maybe disc is bad for the instance, or maybe I am. But it feels like I don't have the healing to handle the tank's damage as well as bomb healing the virmen's bite DoT plus whatever idiot is facetanking Pyroblasts.

I did Gold for DPS. Challenging, but doable with planning. I can see how I could get Gold for tanking, at least if the damage for the fire pits matched the graphic. I have no idea how to keep up with the healing needed for Gold. Maybe try my shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
09/18/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Azreluna
bomb healing the virmen's bite DoT
One thing that you can do as a disc priest for the Burrow mechanic is to learn which waves have those particular mobs. Watch for burrow and see who they're targeting. Shield them immediately before burrow finishes casting and you don't actually have to deal with it. Because they didn't drop below 90%, the debuff goes away immediately.

And using single-target spirit shell on the tank as opposed to trying to put it on the whole party is a bit less mana-intensive. This should help where you get the very large adds that have the enrage.
Edited by Catakins on 9/18/2013 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

Except THEY DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SPHERES AND THERE'S NO TIME TO KEEP SPAMMING THE SPAMMABLE ONES UNDER THEM. Once in a while I get lucky and the mastery spheres explode from expiring during a high aoe damage mob pack.

Isn't that what happens in real raids, too? I have a Mistweaver Monk on my "vacation" server. I'm probably not nearly as good with it as you are. But, I don't mind saying that in a raid situation when I'm playing my monk, I never see players run through my healing orbs.

If I'm in a raid, and I'm low, and I see an orb, I'm running through it.

The problem with healing spheres in raids is visual clutter, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We've actually been making several adjustments to the AI of the NPC party members in the healing Proving Grounds via hotfix. I don't believe all of the changes have hit yet as I write this, but if all goes well, they should be applied within the next day or so. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10932273/54_Hotfixes_September_17-9_17_2013"]official hotfix blog[/url] for updates.

To hell with AI adjustments. Are they going to do more DPS or do we still have to deal with overlapping waves?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had found it easyer healing myself while 6 x lvl 91 mobs beating down on me before the bridge on the Timeless Isle than healing that tank in wave 6 gold mode.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
To hell with AI adjustments. Are they going to do more DPS or do we still have to deal with overlapping waves?

^ So much this. I can deal with you not interrupting but the dps is pitiful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When is it safe to go back to that hell pit?

...and add an RP event where the NPC's get scolded by Panda leaders for being ridiculously inept. They need to be brought down a peg, those useless IDIOTS!

Too far?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
So much this. I can deal with you not interrupting but the dps is pitiful.

I can't, since they're immune to my fear effects, which function as interrupts. The NPCs need to be more effective at this to allow you to spend more time focusing on healing, and to lighten the mana drain on those of us who can't.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I had immense hope for the PGs. For once, I thought, this was a perfect opportunity to test out interesting stat weight choices and see how I could push that. I've *always* wanted "healing target practice" because no one wants to hear your top healer in raid going, "Okay, guys, testing out a new build! Hold onto your panties!" Apparently I had the wrong idea? You can't edit your stat weights correctly when you've been smushed into an ilevel that totally hinks your strategy out of proportion. (i.e. I need about ~8-9k spirit for PG. That much spirit at my ilevel is a very, very, very poor life choice. How realistic is that?)

Regardless of that, I am exceptionally annoyed with the current state of the healing Proving Grounds. Like someone posted above me:

I just accepted Proving Grounds' message that I am actually quite bad at this game without my gear, and moved on. ( ._.)

I nearly agree. For several days there I actually considering retiring from healing after doing it purely for years because of the terrible performance in PGs. But I don't think its *us*. I've saved a lot of parties' rears from the brink of death and it has awarded me more praise than I think the frustration of getting the title is worth---even getting GOLD has been more frustrating to me than wiping for hours on progression raid content.
Edited by Cygni on 9/18/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Stuck on Endless Wave 17 because Oto is god awful at his job... Seriously... Can we give that panda some dodge or at least the decency to maybe... i dunno... aggro the new wave when it comes up?

The healing challenge is a bit upsetting because it's so dependent on having to rely on the actions of a stupid group. Healing the silver tank challenge for "You're doing it wrong" was extremely difficult, but also a lot of fun because i had more control on what was going on and not just standing there praying to god Oto pops a cooldown or runs to pick up the caster yaungols before they beat on the group too hard.

... also can we let earth elementals taunt again... pls.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Healer OT is such a bunch of dirty old men >.<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you for the response.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Would it be possible to fix the Tank Challenge too? ... I'm just saying, I think the Healer NPC forgets to heal after my blood shield has been up for a bit. He goes into stupid mode for a good 30-40 seconds after it drops.

Healing myself for that long often ends up being really bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank buddha.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Might be fun to leave PG ranks the way they are, and then add in a new Endless mode, but with no ilvl scaling. Might not work with a point system, but would be much more fun than scaled ilvl. Many specs are just more fun to play at higher ilvls (not just from bigger numbers, but mechanics).
Reply Quote
Somewhat off topic, but I love how they all complain about not getting heals and I especially love how the mage gives you tips about being a better healer. It's like being in a real group of mouthy know-it alls.

All they need is for the hunter to start rolling on my healing trinket and I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from a real group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Somewhat off topic, but I love how they all complain about not getting heals and I especially love how the mage gives you tips about being a better healer. It's like being in a real group of mouthy know-it alls.

All they need is for the hunter to start rolling on my healing trinket and I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from a real group.

And, as always, the rogue is the helpful one who knows you're trying. 0:)
Reply Quote
And, as always, the rogue is the helpful one who knows you're trying. 0:)

She also has the worst DPS and should reroll something else. :x
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We've actually been making several adjustments to the AI of the NPC party members in the healing Proving Grounds via hotfix. I don't believe all of the changes have hit yet as I write this, but if all goes well, they should be applied within the next day or so. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10932273/54_Hotfixes_September_17-9_17_2013"]official hotfix blog[/url] for updates.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

We don't want a nerf to dmg by mobs etc just npcs to not make it so impossible sometimes with wave overlaps

Thank you Lore <3
Edited by Delalina on 9/18/2013 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]