Proving Ground's NPC party is horrid...

90 Human Paladin
I think Blizzard did a marvelous job of making these NPCs behave like the majority of players. The rogue doesn't interrupt squat and seems to go out of his way to break CC, the warrior tank is trying to raid with his fresh level-cap greens and hasn't figured out how to keybind his abilities (much less figured out what his defensive cooldowns are), and the hunter just stands there auto attacking. At least the mage -doesn't- pop every cooldown each wave and get splattered before Oto even targets a mob (which never seems to be the most threatening one. I love how they leave the AoE casters til last).

I get what you're saying but I raid/play with very good players so I don't expect this in challenging situations. Like that is the main difference between Challenge Modes and Proving Grounds when they feel very similar with the scaling and etc.

The Spoils of Pandaria in SoO is a fantastic example of this. The raid is split into 2 groups, group 1 and group 2 with a tank, healer and 3 dps. We then fight our way through with many mechanics, aoe, stunning, cds etc. Like, if I have to run to the corner to drop my bombs in the mantid room I know my tank can at least use some self heals and cds so he won't be dead by the time I come back. I don't go too far but you have to take into consideration where you place the things.

I believe the Proving Grounds was meant to have us only deal with the mechanics of each wave, so if theres a flamewalker wave we deal with fire and hard hitting pyro blasts then the conquerer wave where we deal with hard hitting tank dmg with cooldowns. I don't think it was meant to overlap so you had high fire dmg to raid and a conq up smashing tank. Once thats fixed, keep the dmg TO the party the same because a challenge is good, :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
One thing that you can do as a disc priest for the Burrow mechanic is to learn which waves have those particular mobs. Watch for burrow and see who they're targeting. Shield them immediately before burrow finishes casting and you don't actually have to deal with it. Because they didn't drop below 90%, the debuff goes away immediately.

Yeah, I've actually started doing this some of the time as Holy if the targeted person is topped off. You have to follow it up with a Heal as Holy but it's better than nothing. It burns mana like tinder in a bonfire, but it seems to be a bit cheaper in the long run than actually trying to heal them.
Reply Quote
You all need to stop QQ-ing. I dont want them to nerf the proving grounds, I love the difficulty. SO STOP!

It's not QQ, I tried the first one on this guy and what a disaster! The whole problem is the things that happen would not end in a total wipe should it be a real 5-man. I keep going OOM, otherwise I wouldn't have any problem, yet it won't even let me drink, where in a real group setting, everybody would stop and let me do so. If we had endless mana pools it wouldn't be an issue, but as we all know it's horrible for some classes.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Druid
You know, I don't mind the NPCs telling me "A faster heal would work in a situation like this" (when I've been at 0 mana for 3 waves straight) but what really pisses me off is when the AI let's the channel through like that flame thing. In any non-moronic group you would be able to explain to the people there that that is the ability that must be interrupted but nooo. If I 'scream' at it, the mob's fear just gets broken by the NPC and he immediately re-casts the fire thing.

I also have to reforge completely differently for these than in "real life".

So incredibly frustrating I just gave up on trying to heal it on my priest.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I can't see why people are complaining so much, I managed gold with only 1 wipe, it wasn't hard at all. :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I can't see why people are complaining so much, I managed gold with only 1 wipe, it wasn't hard at all. :/

When did you do it? It took me I think 4 tries to get gold, I had to keep saving more and more cds for the final wave which was a mixture of 9 and 10
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Try Endless and get back to us.

Better yet, try Endless as a priest.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/18/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Delalina

When did you do it? It took me I think 4 tries to get gold, I had to keep saving more and more cds for the final wave which was a mixture of 9 and 10

A day after it first came out :o
Reply Quote

Which was before the hotfix broke the NPC AI and made things considerably more difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/18/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Korghal

Which was before the hotfix broke the NPC AI and made things considerably more difficult.

Yeah this is what I've heard too Kirtase, I didn't try it till 2-3 days after Patch :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Just got the tank title. Healer is the last one left! CMOONNNN HOTFIXES
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just got the tank title. Healer is the last one left! CMOONNNN HOTFIXES

Wow grats, and well done
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I completed gold difficulty on my pally, as if the finish line was 3 feet away, i tripped, scratched both my knees and slid just barely over the line. However on my monk (which i consider my better healer) cannot even pass silver mode. Now I could if i tried harder but I know my monk cannot do gold, EVER.

Something I haven't seen mentioned but noticed for myself is the Renewing Mist doesn't seem to spread properly to the group. I self cast RM and in a normal 5 man its up on everyone 100%, and in raids on at 5-8 people tops always. But in PG it's on me, and the hunter. that's it. If i cast it on another player it will spread from them to the hunter or me, but never spreads to anyone but the hunter or myself. That must be a bug. After I noticed it I gave up with my monk, it made it absolutly impossible to effectively AoE heal with uplift seeing as only 2 targets tops were getting my HoT. Spinning kick is by far too expensive with the group spread also annoing.

Resto druids seem to be the best at this, followed by shammans. however I have only attemted as Pally/Monk.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'll admit, endless is behond me atm. But Gold healer only took me three tries. o.O I was playing tag with being oom by the end, but it's really not that impossible to do. First one the hunter disengaged into something and died from 80% to dead instantly. Second one I missed clearing a dispel and couldn't recover, third try I downed it.

I have to agree with what a lot of people thus far have said:
Bronze=LFR/heroic dungeons
Silver=Normals
Gold=Heroics.

If you can't heal gold, then you're simply not ready for heroic raid progression. But so what? Most people will never even SEE heroic raid progression. Just make sure you can do silver, and stop worrying about it. Poke at gold here and there if you want to test yourself if you'd like.

At the end of the day, it's called Proving Grounds for a reason. You can either do it, or you cant. *stabs endless with a sharp pointy thing*
Edited by Gajan on 9/18/2013 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/18/2013 06:59 PMPosted by Garethor
You all need to stop QQ-ing. I dont want them to nerf the proving grounds, I love the difficulty. SO STOP!

It's not QQ, I tried the first one on this guy and what a disaster! The whole problem is the things that happen would not end in a total wipe should it be a real 5-man. I keep going OOM, otherwise I wouldn't have any problem, yet it won't even let me drink, where in a real group setting, everybody would stop and let me do so. If we had endless mana pools it wouldn't be an issue, but as we all know it's horrible for some classes.

i did it day1 and got gold... people just suck
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Either read the thread or stop trolling. It was easier on day 1; there was a hotfix on day 2 that broke the NPC AI.

Also, gold is still perfectly doable, if perhaps a bit harder than it should be. Endless is where there's a real problem.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/18/2013 10:30 PMPosted by Kaels

Either read the thread or stop trolling. It was easier on day 1; there was a hotfix on day 2 that broke the NPC AI.

Also, gold is still perfectly doable, if perhaps a bit harder than it should be. Endless is where there's a real problem.

What he/she/it said.

In its current state, Proving Grounds gold is approximately on par with Challenge Mode gold, or perhaps somewhat easier. Endless is... something else entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
And if there are any blues reading this, can you PLEASE make the NPCs stop claiming they're dead at 10-20% health? Or doing it AFTER I void shift them? Nothing like a tank at 75% health claiming to have 'fallen'.
Edited by Kaels on 9/18/2013 11:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
And if there are any blues reading this, can you PLEASE make the NPCs stop claiming they're dead at 10-20% health? Or doing it AFTER I void shift them? Nothing like a tank at 75% health claiming to have 'fallen'.

Yeah agreed, I can save someone at even less the 10% in a real raiding environment, so I should be able to here as well. I can see myself getting close to wave 30 and having someone hit 10% and be all "f this" and ruin my progress
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Thank you, I thought I wasn't amazing for not being able to get to past wave 7 of Endless as a primary haste-style holy priest. lol

In all seriousness, though I'm quite baffled that it truly was just poor npc AIs that were at fault for not clearing waves between each other. One time I had three waves at once! It was ridiculous, and I thought it was supposed to be build that way. I considered myself to be a decent healer that's just stubborn with my style, but if it truly was outside the bounds of difficulty, I may just be a bit better than I give credit to myself.

And yeah, Endless is far more tough than gold. Gold is a cake-walk compared to it. Not only do we face far more difficult spawns, but they also scale up in damage by 1% per wave! 121-130% on wave 21-30 is crazy, not even counting how little time you can regen mana per ten rounds, with how slow the enemies die. You truly do have to be an elitist to get this. And I mean gemming, reforging, abusing talents, etc.... Just everything you can to force yourself not to eventually get oom or have spike damage that can one-shot the tank. You have to be perfect with everything. Its insanity to think several people got this with the weak npc AIs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]