stupid Valk buff

100 Human Paladin
Dang it! After finally figuring out how to use haunt reliably and having a great team around it, they buffed Haunt so that if the pet that is haunted dies, your Valk comes back to life whereas before, your Valk would die with the other pet.
This makes haunt extremely powerful and easy to use, whereas before, it was extremely powerful, subtle, difficult and dangerous to use, boosting my pet battle epeen!

Oh well. LOL......I have to search for a new way to be a special little snowflake!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
neat doom haunt gogo
Reply Quote
94 Human Warlock
they did that while simultaneously nerfing ascension by not allowing undead their 'second life' if they ascend while on their normal life.

weird.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Yes I found this out the hard way when my pet got haunted and I was trying to get it killed in order to get the opponent's valk killed as well, I guess this calls for a change in strategy when your pet gets haunted.
Edited by Stardrake on 9/13/2013 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
they did that while simultaneously nerfing ascension by not allowing undead their 'second life' if they ascend while on their normal life.

weird.

This is true but it's only a slight change. You can still kill your Val to get the dmg buff and have one more round due to ascension. The buff doesn't trigger the passive so it remains dead but it doesn't take the passive off if it's on your pet either.

In other words, if you can time it so that you choose to sacrifice Val for the dmg buff but die before you're able to cast it, than it won't die. It'll 'miss' on your Val and you can choose whatever you want for a final attack.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
09/13/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Mirabilis
In other words, if you can time it so that you choose to sacrifice Val for the dmg buff but die before you're able to cast it, than it won't die.

This was the best way to use UA before the nerf anyway. : )

Nice to see Haunt get a buff though.
Edited by Triggers on 9/13/2013 7:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
Yes I found this out the hard way when my pet got haunted and I was trying to get it killed in order to get the opponent's valk killed as well, I guess this calls for a change in strategy when your pet gets haunted.

Same thing happened to me last night.

Can the Valk still die if you avoid the initial application of Haunt?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
I haven't been able to try that out for myself yet, so I'm still unsure.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
09/13/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Discodoggy

Yes.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter

Yes.

I just Dodged Haunt with my NFD and the Valk didn't die. This was a powerful DoT that had some risks associated with the rewards. Maybe the risks were a bit too much, but there should should be some drawback to a special move like this. I'm always open to the enlightened opinions of the community if you disagree.
Edited by Discodoggy on 9/14/2013 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
The valk definitely feels like a strong(er) pet now with the haunt change, and if it doesn't kill the valk on a miss like you said, that's even more icing on the cake. That said, I always thought the valk outright dying on a haunt being juked was rather harsh too, though I don't really see any middle ground since missing or not is a pretty binary thing. I'll need to fight more valks to make up my mind about them.
Edited by Stardrake on 9/14/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Yeah the val kyr dot had more risk then it was worth but now no risk just makes it overpowered and the fact it can function like feign death as well. It would be better if they gave it 80% accuracy if now the miss can't kill the val kyr either.
Edited by Respira on 9/14/2013 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Crazy good with Stitched Pup. Consume Corpse can be used with no drawback, and Howl to amplify the Haunt Dot + CoD explosion
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Yes.

I just Dodged Haunt with my NFD and the Valk didn't die. This was a powerful DoT that had some risks associated with the rewards. Maybe the risks were a bit too much, but there should should be some drawback to a special move like this. I'm always open to the enlightened opinions of the community if you disagree.

Yep. I was wrong. I just timed the perfect dodge on Haunt and Valk didnt die and just Haunted me again when dodge was gone.
It took me a while to figure out how to be effective with haunt in 5.3, but once I did, it was incredibly powerful, just tricky to use. Now it is more powerful since you dont have to worry about when you apply it, plus there is absolutely no downside.
I think this buff is overtuned and it should go back to the way it was. It was really one of the most brilliant abilities in the entire pet battle game. Challenging and risky to use, but powerful when used well. It created an incredible thought process on the haunted player. Do I sacrifice my pet to kill the Valk or eat the damage and see the Valk come back to life.

Now it is just a thoughtless move to use with no downside, no risk, and lots of power. Lame.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Didn't know about this =o. I'm surprised it was changed but I think it's for the better.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Didn't know about this =o. I'm surprised it was changed but I think it's for the better.

Doom --> Haunt. Enjoy doing that 3 times per fight and getting all of that completely risk-free damage. I have a hard time believing that this was intentional.

On a side note, seeing a Valk that just Haunted come back to life on a broken Undead turn is pretty hilarious (and stupid).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
The val kyr still comes back with 1 HP, if you use haunt on the death turn of immortal? Hadn't used mine ever since patch 5.3 so I never encountered that situation in awhile :P
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Doom --> Haunt. Enjoy doing that 3 times per fight and getting all of that completely risk-free damage. I have a hard time believing that this was intentional.

You know that doom's cd doesn't countdown while the valk is dead right?

Before this buff the valk sucked and no used it now it can be used without that insanely annoying game play of ok putting up this dot and hoping I don't kill this pet...
Edited by Gank on 9/15/2013 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I finally leveled mine up and started using it in PvP. One thing I noticed is if you apply a DoT before it Haunts then the DoT doesn't tick while Haunting. The Valk will come back to life on the back line with the DoT still applied. The same number of turns will be left on the DoT as when the Valk Haunted. Not quite a good counter, but at least it's something.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I finally leveled mine up and started using it in PvP. One thing I noticed is if you apply a DoT before it Haunts then the DoT doesn't tick while Haunting. The Valk will come back to life on the back line with the DoT still applied. The same number of turns will be left on the DoT as when the Valk Haunted. Not quite a good counter, but at least it's something.

It worked like that before.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]