Legendary Cloak quest line

90 Undead Priest
I think the best part is where the OP thinks the hard part is waiting 3 weeks for valor.

Not the potential 12 weeks for runestones...

Yeah, because that sounds exactly like what they said, when the first line of their post says:
I don't mind having to put work in to get this item. It's supposed to be legendary.

I'm pretty sure no one is complaining that it is "hard". Just the fact that it is gated behind artificial time blocks.
Edited by Stockings on 9/17/2013 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Not everyone has been subscribed this entire expansion. Sometimes I feel like the Legendary is more like a reward for staying subbed throughout the expansion rather than an "achievement".

And this is Blizzard fault some how? Everyone was told and warned long before MoP went live how long this quest line was ...there were many sites with write ups detailing how long it would take with RNG involved...so again how is this Blizzard fault?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
09/17/2013 06:22 AMPosted by Moused
Not everyone has been subscribed this entire expansion. Sometimes I feel like the Legendary is more like a reward for staying subbed throughout the expansion rather than an "achievement".

And this is Blizzard fault some how? Everyone was told and warned long before MoP went live how long this quest line was ...there were many sites with write ups detailing how long it would take with RNG involved...so again how is this Blizzard fault?

Uhh, because they added a mechanic to the game that is pretty much required for raiding that isn't really actually about skill at all, but more about how long you have been subscribing and are willing to do some menial tasks to get a shiny orange item?

A lot of people are coming back now for the final patch only to find that in order to raid they are going to be waiting a pretty long while, maybe months. By that time, most guilds will severely outgear them and they will just be dead weight. It's pretty discouraging and it's pretty understandable when a lot of people just say "Forget it" and decide to unsub until the next expansion. Blizzard should want people to be coming back for the final boss and be jumping back in to fight him in a decent amount of time.

It's not that the Legendary quest is hard, it's just that it's completely gated behind weekly resets for most of it and RNG, and no matter how much effort or time you are willing to put in (something a good raider should have), this does not matter in the progress for it. They should have foreseen that a Legendary item that everyone can acquire with gating is of course going to be a requirement for raiding, I mean really.
Edited by Stockings on 9/17/2013 6:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Uhh, because they added a mechanic to the game that is pretty much required for raiding that isn't really actually about skill at all, but more about how long you have been subscribing and are willing to do some menial tasks to get a shiny orange item?

A lot of people are coming back now for the final patch only to find that in order to raid they are going to be waiting a pretty long while, maybe months. By that time, most guilds will severely outgear them and they will just be dead weight. It's pretty discouraging and it's pretty understandable when a lot of people just say "Forget it" and decide to unsub until the next expansion. Blizzard should want people to be coming back for the final boss and be jumping back in to fight him in a decent amount of time.

It's not that the Legendary quest is hard, it's just that it's completely gated behind weekly resets for most of it and RNG, and no matter how much effort or time you are willing to put in (something a good raider should have), this does not matter in the progress for it. They should have foreseen that a Legendary item that everyone can acquire with gating is of course going to be a requirement for raiding, I mean really.

They've sped up the acquisition quite a bit, so they are aware of not disadvantaging returning players too much.

There's essentially a glass half-full / glass half-empty dilemma between perspectives on the cloak. It's probably intended as a reward or perk for the people who have stuck with the game all expansion, but others who haven't are viewing it as a "punishment" or a "slap in the face" that it's a "required" item.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
@ stockings. AGREED!!! :P
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

They've sped up the acquisition quite a bit, so they are aware of not disadvantaging returning players too much.

There's essentially a glass half-full / glass half-empty dilemma between perspectives on the cloak. It's probably intended as a reward or perk for the people who have stuck with the game all expansion, but others who haven't are viewing it as a "punishment" or a "slap in the face" that it's a "required" item.

I'm honestly more worried about them losing potential increase in subscribers by pushing them away with the Legendary quest, especially because of how frustrating it is that it is based mostly on the weekly reset and RNG. I can deal with a really huge long grind, no matter how repetitive it is. Or a drop from a final boss, I can work to get there. But having to sit around and wait for Tuesday's reset to advance... it is just so discouraging. You can't actually play the game more to increase your progress. I finish my progress for the week and all my chances of gear upgrades, and I'm just kind of left with not a lot left to do due to not being geared enough for raiding yet/not having the Legendary done. As someone who just resubbed, and the free 7 days being available, that isn't a very good selling point to keep me around. You want customers to be experiencing the big meat of the expansion, the new raid, in a relatively decent amount of time to keep their interest and keep them still subscribed.
Edited by Stockings on 9/17/2013 6:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

What you need to do with Nalak for the legendary quest can be done solo.

That's how I did it the first time.

I do wish the legendary quest line could be a bit more condensed for people who already have the cloak on one toon. I'm currently working to get it on my shaman, and while I'm happy that some aspects have seen a reduction in 'items' needed, it's still a rather long grind, especially for someone who's already done it and remembers the amount spent the first time.

The only good part is, I don't have to wait for the next part of the chain to be released in the first place. Once I've met a prerequisite, it's off to the next leg. /phew

That was my DK I replied with. Currently on the legendary quest line. This toon has it. What is nice is my DK and my pally can pull Ordos without the cloak since this toon has it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
There was nearly no point even doing the quests from Day1. You could be fresh and get it in 2 months now max, even quicker with LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Typical Blizzard assuming everyone is always on the bleeding edge of everything and removing all incentive to play anything but the current patch. They do it every time , nothing new.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Sitting and wait is in no sense of the word "legendary."
I wouldn't have an issue with any of that, even the waiting time -- except for one thing. The PvP requirement. I tried PvP. I don't like it and won't do it. As a result I will never do this questline or get the Cloak. Sorta of sad when Blizz says they're all about "player choices" and then strip you of them... :-(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The thing with the legendary cloaks is they are a reward from doing a legendary quest line. When i use the term "legendary" I'm not referring to the shiny orange items u receive throughout.. What i am referring to is legendary in the sense of "a long and epic journey". People become so focused on the end result of the quests that they don't quite comprehend the purpose of the quest line in the first place. There is a reason for the RP sequence u have to go through before receiving your cloak.

Basically if you want the cloak... quit complaining and do the freaking quest line. The sense of entitlement on these forums is frankly disturbing at times. Why should you have immediate access to something it took the rest of us weeks or months to achieve?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
09/17/2013 06:35 AMPosted by Stockings
because they added a mechanic to the game that is pretty much required for raiding

No. It's not. I'm not sure WHERE you got this information but it's simply not true. Yes, it's a requirement for Ordos however, Ordos is not 'raiding' as I would define it. In fact, Ordos is a pretty simple fight. Stack, stay out of stuff and burn.

SoO fights are TUNED with the cloak in mind because Blizzard didn't want the cloak to be overpowered in the content. However, it is not a 'requirement' for beating SoO, which is a REAL raiding environment.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
09/17/2013 07:35 AMPosted by Huggywuggles
because they added a mechanic to the game that is pretty much required for raiding

No. It's not. I'm not sure WHERE you got this information but it's simply not true. Yes, it's a requirement for Ordos however, Ordos is not 'raiding' as I would define it. In fact, Ordos is a pretty simple fight. Stack, stay out of stuff and burn.

SoO fights are TUNED with the cloak in mind because Blizzard didn't want the cloak to be overpowered in the content. However, it is not a 'requirement' for beating SoO, which is a REAL raiding environment.

Huggyyyyyyyyyy hey hun kiss kiss.....see you at the Gnome run soon.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Must have downtime for it. Don't worry OP, I'm working on my mon'ks now (swapped my main from my druid to my monk). Er, I'm on the VP gathering, I mean. In the meantime, I'll work on finishing my druid's!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Functionally, the 3000 VP grind is no different than the grinds to get 20 Secrets of the Empire or 12 Titan Runestones.

Those grinds are probably faster now that more bosses drop the given items, but it used to take 4 weeks for the Secrets, and 6 for the Runestones. Once you completed all the bosses that dropped the given item, there was nothing else you could do - it was a waiting game.

A significant difference is that with the VP grind, you can do anything that awards VP, whereas with the aforementioned grinds it is specific content you have to do.

The VP grind is fine.

On my Horde mage, I did it back when it was 6000. Took me 3 months, because I don't make a point of capping every week. On this character, with the 3000 VP grind, it still took me a month and a half (I'm currently on the Titan Runestone step).

So I have no pity for people complaining about 3000 VP. The rep grind is what's going to prevent me from getting the legendary on more than these 2 characters - I absolutely hate rep grinds, but I don't mind running dungeons/raids.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
And the VP grind for this quest line was 6000 now its 3000 ...most of you have it dang easy now to get this quest line done then many of that had to get 6000 first.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I may be wrong, but what I believe the issue that the OP has is the weekly valor cap, and just that. I don't think she has any issue with how much valor she needs to acquire.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I learned a long time ago you need to enjoy the process and take your time or you will get burned out. I'm not in any rush to get it or see all the content because I will have nothing to do later.Play the game,have fun and work on things to improve your character and you will be much happier and less likely to burn out.
Reply Quote
huggy wasn't you a MVP?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
It used to be 6000 valor. Get over it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]