Protection TPS (Threat per Second) Needs Fix.

90 Human Paladin
Paladin threat is fine. If you're having agro issues then it has to be something you are doing wrong unless it's an AOE pull with a Brewmaster tank in which case you can forget about it. You might as well not even try it's that unbalanced. Single target works just fine though.

Monk AOE threat is beyond ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I also think threat gen shouldn't be based on how much vengeance or dps the tank is dealing, our spells/habilities should be the only thing that should matter on our threat gen.
This statement doesn't make any sense at all. For example, vengeance exists solely for the purpose of alleviating potential threat issues. So saying that threat should not be dependent on vengeance is the same as saying that vengeance shouldn't exist. It also doesn't make sense to say that threat should be based on the spells/abilities we use and not on the damage we do since you can't separate the two. Threat is based on what spells/abilities we use, because the spells/abilities we use do damage, which is converted into threat. How else would you determine how much threat a given ability generates if not based on the damage? You could assign each ability a static threat value, but then a level 30's CS would generate just as much threat as a level 90's CS. You could make the threat generated scale with level, but then a level 90 paladin that's completely naked except for his ilevel 5 weapon would generate as much threat as a level 90 paladin in heroic SoO gear. You could make the threat scale with not only player level but on gear level as well.....but then you're basically just moving it right back towards basing it off of how much damage it does. There just isn't any other way to do it.

And as noted, both by other responses, as well as yourself, the issue is really only an issue on trash, and there's a reason it's called "trash".
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm running a mastery build, which has far less TPS than the haste build (from personal experience) - my threat is fine, maybe even too much at times.

Maybe you're doing something wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/16/2013 05:20 AMPosted by Lancelott
Oh and 1 more thing, I really saw it happening like someone here said... I had other tanks died cuz on the initial pull they got all mobs on them

I've found the best this to counter this problem, is pull before the DK, and then have him grab mobs from you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pallys threat gen is fine ! If your having problems its a 100% your fault, without question.

Funny how if ones having issues they're so quick to judge the toon rather than the yourself, after all you are controlling it and gearing etc .. 99% player 1% toon......

Always' gotta be a Troll...

I've been playing for almost 7 years, I know exactly how to gear my toon, reforge, gem etc. Maybe you've been playing with tanks who don't know what they're doing or you just over gear them. Read the other replies here... I'm not the only one that has found that issue.

Anyways, I think the point have been made and as you can see I'm not the only one, there's something wrong about the threat on initial trash pulls and it has to be fixed. Not to mention that other players have been reporting on forums or blogs that they have been seeing problems on single target too in SoO, against druids, dks and monks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladin threat is fine. If you're having agro issues then it has to be something you are doing wrong unless it's an AOE pull with a Brewmaster tank in which case you can forget about it. You might as well not even try it's that unbalanced. Single target works just fine though.

And that's what I've been saying. Based on my experience and what I have seen, single target isn't that bad, but AoE threat is nerfed compared to monks, dks and druids, or why do you think a DK goes ahead, drops Death and Decay, use Blood Boil and then you can spam your abilities to death but you will never get aggro again til you taunt or they die like idiots?, of course after they die due to overpulling then you can tank everything with no problems... seems to me that we're fine, we have excellent survivability but the threat on the AoE situation needs to be upped to go toe to toe with monks, druids and dks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins have stronger threat than all tank classes other than Monks. The closest I've had to another tank challenging me for agro is from a bear.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/16/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Lancelott
I've been playing for almost 7 years

Means nothing. Issue is, clearly, you. If you're worried about AoE threat, which is really only trash, then your concerns are laughable; on trash, he who gets there first wins threat. Period.

09/16/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Lancelott
DK goes ahead, drops Death and Decay, use Blood Boil

And how, exactly, is that different from running in, dropping glyphed Cons which is targeted just like DnD, use HW/HotR?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
@ lancelott

I looked at your armory your specs are ret/holy so I can tell nothing .. Maybe post on your main prot pally so people can get an idea instead of your word ?

I looked at others armory who " complained" as you put it and noticed dodge/parry gear of abundance .. No wonder the issues ..

On lei Shen pre 5.4 i bursted to as high as 218k dps as prot pally, you think a dps could pull off me ? You think that could be achived without proper gear, gems, player ability ?

Aoe you say ? Was hardly ever anything but #1 dps... Aoe was super easy to achieve high numbers ..

And now with the vengeance nerf, but threat has been increased ! Sooo like I said, it's players fault ! Comes down to player ability ...

Not being a troll .. Didn't mean to come across as one ..

Maybe pre- pot potions, don't use STAMINA flask and use elixirs like you should be, use str or haste food and bust out your rotation and bask in the threat glory !

Comes down to the player and what YOU can do ..
Edited by Alexmania on 9/16/2013 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/16/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Lancelott
or why do you think a DK goes ahead, drops Death and Decay, use Blood Boil and then you can spam your abilities to death but you will never get aggro again til you taunt or they die like idiots?

The problematic part there is "goes ahead", not "DK". The tank that pulls first gets an enormous head start in threat and Vengeance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

With my tanking partner being a Monk, I experience this on a daily basis. This is especially true on fights like Galakras. While there is nothing we can do about it, the threat game swaps hugely in our favor as the number of adds diminish.

The OP focuses incorrectly on threat as an issue, having never seen them play I can't comment on their play style but I have a suspicion that something they are(n't) doing is causing their problems. Try spot taunting an add off the other tank then CC another to help your partner's survivability for example.
Edited by Fluxstix on 9/17/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The only issue with paladin threat is our baseline damage is too low and our vengeance scaling is too good. It's not a new issue.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The only issue with paladin is we are too pink. It's not a new issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The only issue with paladin is we aren't too pink enough. It's not a new issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/17/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Pancakê
The only issue with paladin is we aren't too pink enough. It's not a new issue.

win
Edited by Ravicana on 9/17/2013 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]