Tank, Ret or Prot Timeless gear?

90 Human Paladin
Just curious as to what spec you would suggest making the timeless gear with? Using Burden of eternity Thanks
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Paladin
I just used one yesterday on a shoulder token as ret and got a haste/mastery piece out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I was curious on this as well. I used most of mine on ret as I have heard that prot favors haste and that's what comes on most ret items. I figure it would be a good double use set item. Would like some pro feedback on it though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're maximizing for multiple specs i.e. ret and prot go with Ret.

The only unliked stat that ret will roll for prot is crit, while prot will get parry and dodge items that ret won't really enjoy. (and prot doesn't enjoy too very much either)
Edited by Iltareh on 9/16/2013 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin

But if you're not, crit is much worse than parry and dodge now, isn't it? Particularly with the change to Grand Crusader?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've looted 2 burden of eternities so far. I've used them on a helmet piece, which I'm very satisfied with. Last night, I used my second one on a shoulder piece. I was wearing the same 496 tyrannical shoulders I've been wearing all of 5.3 and it was my last pvp piece to replace to have a whole pve set.

I ended up with hit & expertise on my shoulders. I wasn't too thrilled because I was already over the cap for both, but I was still happy with the primary stat upgrades and I reforged some of my gear again and ended up with slightly more haste than I had before, which is good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/16/2013 09:16 AMPosted by Amarlynn

But if you're not, crit is much worse than parry and dodge now, isn't it? Particularly with the change to Grand Crusader?

All 3 are pretty much bottom of the barrel for Prot, regardless of Grand Crusader.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dodge and Parry are comparatively quite weak, but still do provide meaningful survival. Crit is worthless.

The idea is, more or less, to keep trying for another piece if you happen to get something with Crit on it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Dodge and Parry are comparatively quite weak, but still do provide meaningful survival. Crit is worthless.

The idea is, more or less, to keep trying for another piece if you happen to get something with Crit on it.

Crit is also a survival stat. A dead mob doesn't do damage to you. Dodge and parry don't matter as survival stats outside TDR, which Crit should also help with.

All 3 are bottom of the barrel.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
09/16/2013 09:16 AMPosted by Amarlynn

Doesn't matter too much. If you set loot to prot you won't get Haste for your prot set. Plus you'll still get Mastery, Hit and Expertise.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Go with Ret loot. Even the pieces with crit are going to be upgrades for prot most likey (reforge it to haste or hit/exp if you need it). I think I had 5 pieces of 535 timelss after the 1st day, both rings have +crit but they were still good upgrades. No issues tanking the 1st few bosses of 10m normal so far, and I got my ret set from 522 to about 535 in a day as a side bonus.

The only annoying thing for me is that I'm not going to constantly regem/reforge when I siwtch, so right now about 6 pieces of gear are shared between specs and I do get some people saying things about, for example, having a +stam enchant on my chest when I'm in ret spec.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you play Prot, don't go with the Ret loot. You don't want to risk getting crit on any of your gear. Sure, it may be an upgrade, but getting a piece without crit would be even more of an upgrade, so there's no point in taking the risk.

Let me paraphrase this for you:
To be a properly geared protection paladin raid tank, you MUST:

- Wear the highest ilevel gear with STR and no Crit you can find, yes, take Parry/Dodge gear over Hit/Haste gear if its higher ilevel
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
09/17/2013 06:10 AMPosted by Buucho
If you set loot to prot you won't get Haste for your prot set.

Is that really true? Talk about not understanding their own game, even this deep into the expansion cycle.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If you play Prot, don't go with the Ret loot. You don't want to risk getting crit on any of your gear. Sure, it may be an upgrade, but getting a piece without crit would be even more of an upgrade, so there's no point in taking the risk.

- Wear the highest ilevel gear with STR and no Crit you can find, yes, take Parry/Dodge gear over Hit/Haste gear if its higher ilevel

interesting comment. I'm not arguing for or against as I just got back into playing and have no idea whether you are right or not. I would like to see you be right since I've been prot since I started in 2009 and I feel that being a paladin is about defending the weak.

My concern is that since I've been back for about 3 weeks now all I've heard is that we should "go for haste". I've also been reading about that some and it seems viable/logical.

At this point I guess I would have to say that the haste does seem to make tanking pally a little more "exciting" with all the different procs occurring. but who wants to sweat when they're tanking right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

No do not take higher ilvl gear with double avoidance. The lost in Haste/mastery is going to seriously hamper you. The above post is the worse piece of advice I've ever read.

Secondaries are very important to Prot, especially Hit/Haste/Expertise. Gimping your secondaries to gain Strength, Stamina and Armor will not result in better performance.

Sanctity of Battle, read it and Understand it. Yes Haste is your best "defending the weak" stat.
Edited by Berith on 9/17/2013 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]